THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Issues with high volume shooting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Issues with high volume shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear friend trough the years i shot and saw to shoot millions of shells you must preapre for theis with the same equipment you use in a sporting clays competition ear plugs ,glasses ,gloves and a good semiauto shotgun forget ous or side by side ,BUT AND THIS IS AGAINST MY WALLET i would only shoot one day of doves and then shooting pidgeons ,partriges 3 species if posibly ,ducks ,snipes ,or with a special permit geese .so you would really hunt birds NOT ONLY SHOOT and you will explore a bit more of terrain ,of course we make more money with doves ,but YOU MUST ASK TO HUNT DECOYED PIDGEONS ,PATRIGES ,ETC .AND DONT TELL THE GUIDES that i told you this most of them are my friends.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am interested that no one has actually answered, or tried to answer, Idaho's question, except to say that he wouldn't understand it if an answer were provided. Will just flat out said that, "...within those parameters."

We do, hopwever, have good answers as to why high volume hunting is permitted, and those answers seem to make good sense.

So, what's the answer to Idaho's question? I suspect that "because it's fun" is as near correct as we're going to get. Perfectly legitimate response.

Good hunting.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is fun. A hell of a lot of fun actually.

These birds are not like our doves in the US. They only migrate very short distances. They breed 3-5 times per year. There are there by the millions. The numbers are such that they destroy 35-40% of the crops.

The farmers have several choices:
1- Do nothing and go bankrupt.
2- Poison the roosts and kill every living thing including many other game and non- game birds/animals. Yes, this DOES happen.
3- Shoot them and make a bit of money.

At least where I go, the doves serve as a major source of protein for locals and the disadvantaged.

Other than that, the only other reason I can see to go is that I go when it is HOT here and it is winter there. Smiler

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have to consider cutting back on your shooting if you can't find any other solutions.

Posts: 52 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Collector said, Gun Fit, Gun Fit, Gun Fit. If you are a SCI member check out the March/April copy on shot gunning with Vicki Ash she addresses your concerns LOP can be made longer with a slip on pad and longer still with spacers inside of the pad (take care of that right hand). Does you Benelli have a eccentric washer between stock and receiver? if so remove the stock turn it around to lower the height at the comb. If not you may have to see a stock guy and get "fitted".
Good Luck with your shooting.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 390 or 303 will offer the same recoil reduction w/o the 1.5 hour cleaning marathon of the overengineered 391. Brownings are reliable.
The main point is GAS operated for soft recoil.

ISS,
I've enjoyed volume pidgeon shooting. You can't load fast enough to target (let alone hit) 5%? of the potential in range birds. The majority of the birds were recovered, cleaned and given away.
Think prairie dogs w/wings.
The most fun with a gun there is.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My answer to Idahosharpshooter is that to me it is a chance to improve my wing shooting skills so that I make more effecient use of the fewer birds I put up at home and leave fewer crippled and lost birds.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector:
@larryshores

I am going to set the bar for what is considered high volume....if someone barely shoots a case or two (250 to 500) rounds a year for hunting/clays then they can skip what I am about to write here.

A fine suit is always fitted to you by a tailor. You never want to wear pants that are too long, or too short, or a jacket that is tight at the waste, or has arms too long. So the same principle applies for a shotgun. It has to, it must, fit you in order for you to shoot it correctly.

The biggest advantages of a properly fitted shotgun are:
#1) Ability to shoot with both eyes open, as God intended man to shoot the shotgun with both eyes open. If someone shoots a shotgun when squeezing the trigger with one eye closed (like shooting a rifle) then they have my sympathy. It is not their fault....they were never educated properly on the use of a shotgun, and by the way their fault can be corrected.

#2) Wear and tear on your body. A properly fitted gun will not beat your hands, arms, face, nose, cheeks, etc, up.

This is usually not a concern for occasional shooters who may shoot opening day for doves, may hunt grouse and woodcock in fall, go on weekends for duck hunting in the States.

By wear and tear I mean the punishment you may receive at an Argentinian high volume shoot say a 3 day shoot with 3,000 rounds per day = 9,000 rounds in a short period of time. Or an intensive Sporting Clays tournament where you are shooting couple of cases of shells over a few days. Some of us Sporting Clays shooters shoot over 50,000 rounds per year. 4 cases per week, that is 1,000 shells per week, is quite normal for someone who is practicing hard to make the NSCA State Team, Zone Team, or All-American team in a given year. So 2 to 3 cases for practice and 100 to 200 rounds for a tournament over a weekend are the norms for a focused Master class shooter.

A shotgun is a dynamic weapon of movement and the proper gun fit maximizes the process of the gun mount. It helps maintain your body's balance throughout the shot. There are many variable which a professional gunfitter has to keep in mind when fitting your gun to you. Here are some of the important ones:

- Determining Eye-dominance
- Length of Pull
- Drop at Heel
- Drop at Comb
- Cast
- Pitch
- Grip
- Comb Thickness
- Point of Impact Shot placement i.e. fit for 60/40; 70/30; or 50/50

A good gunfitter will bring in a gizmo called a "Try-Gun" which he (there are no female gun fitters so you will need to deal with a male Big Grin ) can constantly adjust to get your correct fit.

Idea is that after the gun-fitting session is over, and he gives you your personal dimesnions sheet, which you can then take to a shotgun manufacturer and get a gun fitted to you. Even off the shelf guns can be sent to people who specialize in fitting them to your dimensions.

So a gun-fitting session by a certified gun-smith is probably the most important thing that you should treat yourself to. The British have been doing this for couple of decades longer than us. Luckily there are many top of the line British gun-fitters right here in the USA. A gun-fitting trip to a master gun-fitter is probably as exciting as a trip to Argentina for a true shotgun enthusiast. The one I highly recommend is Mr Chris Batha....a true gentleman and one of the best in my opinion.

http://www.chrisbatha.com/customgunfit.html

Just as the man says.......

I have known Chris Batha for over 20 years. A first rate professional coach and gun fitter. I'd recommend him to anyone.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:
I am interested that no one has actually answered, or tried to answer, Idaho's question, except to say that he wouldn't understand it if an answer were provided. Will just flat out said that, "...within those parameters."

We do, hopwever, have good answers as to why high volume hunting is permitted, and those answers seem to make good sense.

So, what's the answer to Idaho's question? I suspect that "because it's fun" is as near correct as we're going to get. Perfectly legitimate response.

Good hunting.

Different playing field, different rules, different ethical considerations, different necessities.

One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
I'm going in July for my second time to Argentina. My 12 g. Browning XS Special is ported...this is nice. I did have it custom fit with trigger job and Kick-Eze pad...nicer still. My friend shot a Beretta O/U and for a present I gave him ported extended chokes and that worked great for his recoil. Hope this helps. Love porting.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I am curious, can someone explain the attraction of shooting such large numbers of birds/waterfowl?

You don't eat them, you don't mount them on the wall, there is no record book or size scoring system.

Somebody telling me that they shot seven hundred ducks or doves one day, how would you compliment someone for a feat like that? We limit them here so that our children get to shoot some. Every hen or female dove shot is 6-12 minimum young birds that will not hatch.

I am just curious...

Rich

Hi Rich

As Patricio wrote they are considered a pest, I've now been in South Africa twice for dove hunting and all birds are given to the local people, nothing is wasted Smiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3vx0A83YQQ

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of you making the recommendation, I have an appoint scheduled with Chris Batha on 7/2. I am hopeful that this will help with my jaw.

I have to say that a part of me thinks that this is an issued caused by the volume of shooting. we will see.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have known Chris for over 20 years. If anyone can identify the problem and provide a solution, it will be him.