THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Cast and Blast at Eagles Nest Lodge, Montana

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast and Blast at Eagles Nest Lodge, Montana
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Eagles Nest Lodge
Hardin, Montana
Sept. 13 - 17, 2014

Short report on a three day blast and cast trip to Eagles Nest Lodge. Great food and accommodations! Fly into Billings and rent a car or schedule shuttle for the 45 minute drive to the Lodge. Fished the Bighorn River the first day for rainbow and brown trout. I am not an expert flyfisherman by any means but had a great time drifting and casting. My partner and I probably boated 16 to 18 fish on the float.

Second day we traveled to Lodge Grass and hunted at 5,000 feet for huns, sharptail grouse and a few preserve pheasant. I was shooting my Beretta 687 EELL 20 gauge with Estate high brass 6 shot. Took my limit of sharpies, pheasant and half a limit of huns. Shot over a pair of German Shorthairs. Excellent shoot and some beautiful country. Marked huns and sharps off my bucket list but definitely want to hunt them again!

The next day turned off warm with temps to the low 80's. We decided to hunt low for preserve pheasant so as not to overheat the dogs. Finished around 2:30 with our limits.

I can highly recommend the lodge, the guides and hunting and fishing. Montana licenses are not cheap but the scenery was worth the price of admission!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great trip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great outing indeed! Thanks for sharing.

tu2

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
GREAT TRIP congratulations .Its similar of what i offer here in Argentina ,althoug we hunt partriges and fish dorados .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice trip. I've done that exact trip but without a guide.....you can hear roosters on the islands as you're fishing. Good stuff.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I love Montana, they have so much to offer the hunter and fisher. Congrats Russ!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6822 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and the combination of fly fishing and wing shooting is great.

Allow a few questions to the non US reader plse -

1) what are 'huns' and 'sharps' (I thought at 50 I was an experienced well read wing shooter!)

2) how do you fishing and bird shooting licenses work - you say Montana licenses are not cheap. Is this necessary for non residents or what / how ?

Interested to hear more!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
That's a great trip.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
Great pictures and the combination of fly fishing and wing shooting is great.

Allow a few questions to the non US reader plse -

1) what are 'huns' and 'sharps' (I thought at 50 I was an experienced well read wing shooter!)

2) how do you fishing and bird shooting licenses work - you say Montana licenses are not cheap. Is this necessary for non residents or what / how ?

Interested to hear more!

"Huns" are hungarian partridges, sometimes called gray partridges, an import which is common in much of the western US and Canada. Great hunting and great eating birds, about the size of a large dove. They covey up and it is a grand sight to see a covey of huns flush.

"Sharps" are sharp-tailed grouse, a native bird, again common over much the same area as huns, but usually in field type terrain. Larger than huns, not as good eating. Fairly easy to kill. Usually found in singles or pairs.

Fishing and hunting licenses are individual to each state and there are myriad variations, often in the same state, of what you can hunt/fish with certain licenses. Usually, but not always, fishing licenses and hunting licenses are not sold together unless you buy some kind of "combo". Typically unless you're under the age of 16 (in some states, where you might or might not have to buy a minor license (usually quite inexpensive)) any hunter, resident or non-resident will have to have a hunting license to hunt in any given state. In the above case a Montana season non-resident bird hunting license is $110, a 3 day is $50.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explainations ......

Interesting that you call the greys 'Huns" whereas the Europeans call the greys ' English partridge " and the red legs 'Frenchmen' or 'French partridge' !

Also interesting on the license payments.

Cheers and happy hunting (and fishing) !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
"Huns" are hungarian partridges, sometimes called gray partridges, an import which is common in much of the western US and Canada. Great hunting and great eating birds, about the size of a large dove. They covey up and it is a grand sight to see a covey of huns flush.

"Sharps" are sharp-tailed grouse, a native bird, again common over much the same area as huns, but usually in field type terrain. Larger than huns, not as good eating. Fairly easy to kill. Usually found in singles or pairs.

Fishing and hunting licenses are individual to each state and there are myriad variations, often in the same state, of what you can hunt/fish with certain licenses. Usually, but not always, fishing licenses and hunting licenses are not sold together unless you buy some kind of "combo". Typically unless you're under the age of 16 (in some states, where you might or might not have to buy a minor license (usually quite inexpensive)) any hunter, resident or non-resident will have to have a hunting license to hunt in any given state. In the above case a Montana season non-resident bird hunting license is $110, a 3 day is $50."
- Gatogordo

Thanks for the reply Gato I haven't circled back in awhile. Gato summed up the upland birds quite succinctly. On the license front, I had a State hunting license, a reservation permit for the Crow Reservation and a fishing license. Total around $200 for 3 days.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
Thanks for the explainations ......

Interesting that you call the greys 'Huns" whereas the Europeans call the greys ' English partridge " and the red legs 'Frenchmen' or 'French partridge' !

Also interesting on the license payments.

Cheers and happy hunting (and fishing) !

You might get beaten to death with a haggis if you call a grey partridge an English partridge in Scotland!!

Wink
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote