THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Opening Mearns hunt this past weekend..

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opening Mearns hunt this past weekend..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a good time this weekend.. Got into plenty of birds and the mutts did really good, considering the dry conditions.. I believe we had 16 coveys for the 2 days. Not too shabby!! Got to hunt with my old man again who flew out from TX with Mom for the holiday and Mearns season, friends Casey, and Doug, and one of my best buds, Rich. Everybody had plenty of good shooting!!

Here are a few pics I snapped over the course of the two days...

1st covey of the '06 season!! And my Brit Penny NAILED them to the ground!! My EP Virgil honoring..

Casey with a mess of Mearns from the first days hunt..

A mature male with Casey's O/U.. I like that combo.. nice guns and Mearns roosters. Does it get any better??

messin' around with the camera.. i like how this pic came out. A few birds from the second day's hunt..

INTENSITY....

TEAMWORK.... right after I took this quick snapshot, I was trying to move on in and get a shot. Ended up busting my butt and right when I fell, the covey split!! That hillside was STEEP!

here is what Mearns country does to a flat-lander who lives at sea level in TX!! My Old Man was ahuffin' and apuffin' this entire weekend!! Kinda tough for someone who lives at sea level to hunt those hills that start at 5,100 ft in ele. But he made it! I took this pic from the top of the canyon, looking back at him.. laughing while he was suckin' wind!! I thought it was funny, but he didn't at the time!!

I'll be headed down south from now to the end of season about once a week.. this is what I live for out here in AZ.
thanks for lookin!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great dog work. Looks like a lot of fun. I'd like to come to Arizona and hunt quail for a few days. Is the quail hunting on public land?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT:

There are plenty of public places to hunt quail here in AZ. Unfortunately, this past year the quail population had a poor hatch due to dry conditions; consequently, the birds that are out there are pretty damn spooky. Last year was fabulous; this year stinks, at least for Gambel's quail around Phoenix. I suppose if you are a good shot at birds that flush way out, you would do great.

Drop me a line if you come to PHX; I will take you out for a hunt.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks AnotherAZWriter, I appreciate the invite. I do not have plans now, but that could change.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures.They are great looking dogs
regards
Dan

Posts: 45 | Location: nfld canada | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another area with gambels,scaled & mearns quail is the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation they had a lot of summer rains with good forage growth and their tanks filled as did ground water sources.Anterless Elk were scarce as they were dispersed thoughout the Rez due to abundant feed and water sources however I connected with one.I heard quail calling when I was out checking but I didn't have any brush pants to walk thru the spiny Legumes.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I am envious. Back in the days when I had English Pointers the Mearn's hunt was my favorite. And we covered most of the Mearn's country along the border from the Arivaca area and east to Patagonia, Lochiel, etc. I am "dogless" now, and spend the winter months in Tucson and the rest of the year in Pinetop. My favorite Mearn's gun was my side by side 28 gauge. wave

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing those great pictures. It's been 10 years since I've hunted quail, Gentleman Bob that is, and the pics bring back memories.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote