THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Private Life of Black Ducks (Pics)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Private Life of Black Ducks (Pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted
Black Ducks are one of the smartest of all waterfowl. Found mostly in the Eastern United States....they are considered a true trophy in Central and Pacific Flyways. Here are some pics I took recently !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Pics!!!!! Care to share that hole? lol
Love the bling....Prize in deed! tu2

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Are they a variant / subspecies of a mallard or a different species altogether?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@1/2mao
This particular honey hole has produced atleast 4 bands per year...it shall remain a secret Big Grin

@Nakihunter
Just like your Pacific Black Ducks...our American Black Ducks are a completely different species from mallard (they are a full species on their own, not a sub-species of mallard). However, just like your Pacific Black Ducks are being cross-bred by horny Mallards...so are our pure Black Ducks being hybridized by Mallards. In another 30 years I doubt there will be any pure Black Ducks left in the Atlantic Flyway. Mallards are just ferocious rapists and are always messing around with other puddle duck species.

Please check out the Mallard post on this forum, I have listed out the sub-species of Mallard in that thread.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector:
In another 30 years I doubt there will be any pure Black Ducks left in the Atlantic Flyway. Mallards are just ferocious rapists and are always messing around with other puddle duck species.

NZ looks to be going the same way.

Aust Black Ducks are OK as we don't have Mallards, but go to NZ and in the towns / cities, the number of cross breds in amazing.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice pics, as usual, Collector. Thanks for sharing. I live and hunt in the heart of the noble black duck's range, and they are by far my favorite duck. Some of us are pretty serious about hunting them, as well as the other species. Posted this before, but it makes me giggle everytime. A couple of minutes after this video, two dozen plus black ducks parachuted in. One of those moments you'll never forget.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Kamo that is some hardcore waterfowling right there....awesome video Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great pics as always!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Collector
Thanks for the explanation. here in NZ we do not have the black duck but we have the small grey duck which looks so much like a hen mallard but the eye patch is more distinct. The mallards rape the grey to shreds! So the greys are not as common in the North Island. But in the west coast of the South Island the grey still thrive in huge flocks.

My fist duck hunt in NZ in 1994 May was in the Whanagamarino swamps & stream and my first shot was at a fast diving and skimming grey which I nailed in the dark dawn with a huge lead! I find that the mallards do not dive & skim like the greys.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG and I hail from the same vicinity......

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Sweet pics...a Hybrid Black by Kamo and a Banded Black by Norton....AWESOME !!!

Gentlemen, mount a few Black Ducks for your grandchildren and their grandchildren and put them under a glass case. In a few decades mallards are going to breed them out of existence Frowner

I don't need any more ducks in my collection but I have a pair going to the taxidermist soon just for the same reason.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sweet pics...a Hybrid Black by Kamo and a Banded Black by Norton....AWESOME !!!

Gentlemen, mount a few Black Ducks for your grandchildren and their grandchildren and put them under a glass case. In a few decades mallards are going to breed them out of existence Frowner

I don't need any more ducks in my collection but I have a pair going to the taxidermist soon just for the same reason.

Black ducks are what I consider to be our main, meat and potatoes bird here on the coast of the MA North Shore. And though the limit is but one, some of my very sweetest memories of hunting are of me stomping the frozen salt marsh in deep winter.

Good suggestion, and you're right I fear WRT black duck genetics. We kill hybrids every season. As an aside, I took literally hundreds and hundreds of black ducks before I was lucky enough to take one I felt worthy of mounting. He's an absolute monster. Weighed at my bird guy's studio he was just shy of 5.5 lbs. He told me he had to use a small goose form, as the largest puddle duck form was too small. All I know is I love that bird, and it's by a long, long measure that I think anyone I know sees a pure black duck of his size in my lifetime.

Anyway, cool thread. I love all waterfowl, but man I LOVE black ducks!

Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have one on the wall already.....unfortunately it was done by the taxidermist from Bizarro World.....it has a nail sticking out of the top of it's head. rotflmo

It WILL be replaced by a quality mount.

So far from said taxidermist I have(in addition to the Black):

-Mink that looks like a pack of cigarettes was put out on it's back and has no ears

-Wood duck with a child's paint-by-numbers bill

-GWT that looked 100 years old the day I picked it up

-Hooded merganser with the most unnatural twist in it's neck it must have taken extra work to get it that way

-Eider drake that looks like it was wedged between the rocks on a jetty for a few thousand tide changes. Eeker

What have I learned? Good taxidermy......there's no substitute.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Enough with the half-steppin', yo. Man up and take pics and post 'em. Throw the boys here a bone for crying out loud! wave

But seriously. Please. I'll let you keep my next band. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, KG....I'll put some together....but you've already seen the carnage!!!

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
incredible pics Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote