THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Re: Looking for a shotgun recommendation...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Looking for a shotgun recommendation...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
I'm of the get a nice gun for upland and a bumper jack handle for duck and turkey group.

I have a Browning Superposed Lightning 20ga that I use for upland and dove. And I use a Wal-Mart 870 12ga for turkey.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
bobvthunter. I recomend Benelli shotguns either sbe or super 90 m1 autos for an allrounder gun!
Love the simple system of the Italyans!

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just finished the hunting season using only 20 gages. I hunted over 70 days and shot over 150 birds. Most were chukar, blue grouse, pheasant, and Sharptail's. Somebody already said it but it depends on several things. Your choice for a 20 is fine if you are shooting over a pointer. If you are shooting over a flusher, I might go to a 12 ga. I used my daughters Weatherby O/U 20 ga for most of the season. I tried out a Remington 1100 20 for the last three hunts of the year. I have to say that when I was shooting the O/U it kicked a little more than the semi auto. I found it was quicker as far as getting on the next bird. Several times I got triples (you can't do that with a O/U) and I noticed that the muzzle didn't jump as much. This made it faster to get on the next bird.
I thought I would never say this but I have to recommend either the rem 1100, or the 1187 if the reason is for recoil reduction. I have shot both, and the are good guns. Next would be a O/U, I like the Weatherby. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted this on the shotgun forum and it hasn't been getting much attention so I thought I might try it here. I did get one good reply, but would like some more opinions.

Hi All,

I'm new to following the shotgun forum, and I'm sure that this has been covered, but I'm looking for a recommendation for a versatile shotgun. I'm more of a rifle guy, but I see myself using the gun for upland hunting, turkey hunting, and maybe waterfowl hunting. Truth be told, I've never been turkey or waterfowl hunting, but I will be turkey hunting in the near future and want the capability to hunt waterfowl if the opportunity arises. If I had to give a breakdown of time invested in each type of hunting it would probably go something like 60% upland hunting (grouse in my area), 30% turkey hunting, and 10% waterfowl. Of course in reality most of my shooting will take place at the range, but that should give an idea of my hunting interests.

I'm open to suggestions with regard to action type, gauge, manufacturer, barrel length(s), etc. Although I have done a bit of shotgunning, I'm trying to wipe the slate clean to some degree and start over with recommendations from those with more knowledge on the subject than myself.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Ruger Red label in synthetic/ss. I have a buddy that loves his for quail, ducks and squirrels. I don't have one, but would be nice. Don't know how good it would be for turkey.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mossberg 500,

Cheap, reliable, and if you realy get into duck or uplandgame, or turkey hunting, you can get another one, that is more tailored to the chore, i.e. a double for upland game, or a 31/2 in for turkey, or maybe an auto for duck. And if you dont, you dont loose that much cash.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I Like the 20ga and 12ga o/u with 26" barrels for upland birds. For duck and geese I like the Mossberg 835 12ga with 28" barrel.
I have the Beretta silver pigeon 12ga with 26" barrels and the mossberg 835 12 ga with 24" and 28" barrels.
My next o/u will be the Beretta silver pigeon 2 in 20 ga with 26" barrels.
If auto loaders are your thing, I would go with Beretta

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a good pump. They are all around guns that can be used for sporting, birds, deer, varmints, whatever.

I have several 870 Wingmasters that work great. they have standard vent rib barrels as well as slug barrels.

I have recently picked up an Ithaca 37 (new) that is an ideal gun. It is in 16 ga which I am starting to switch to also. Great all around size.
IMHO
if money is an issue, take a look at remington 870 expres. If you can spend a little more take a look at Ithaca. A little harder to find but worth it. I would suggest 20 ga as all around usefullness.

IHHO

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch out asking for advice on shotguns -- it's like asking advice on women: Men's tastes and uses vary substantially.

If you intend to only be an occasional shotgunner, then nearly any old scattergun will do. But if you spend much time in the grouse fields carrying an 870 with a whittled two-by-four for a stock or a Mossberg that looks like the barrel was salvaged from a Ford axle housing, while the dedicated grouse hunters are carrying their finely balanced side-by-sides and showy over-unders, you'll quickly either get an inferiority complex or come to feel like an illigitimate son at a family reunion.

As far as turkey's, nobody much cares what kind of blunderbuss you bowl them over with (this noble game merits dispatching with a small rifle in my opinion, anyway).

And for ducks, since you have to wrench the guts out of your barrel with steel shot anyway (not to mention splattering your gun with mud and muck), your waterfowling piece should be appropriately disposable.

Shotgunners probably consider their guns even more specialized than some riflemen do theirs. My advice: If you really do intend to mostly hunt upland (and shoot some informal clays occasionally), get a 20 gauge in one of the "moderately" priced O/U's like the Browning Citori, Ruger Red Label (wood, not plastic!), or lower end Berettas. Look for used, which you can find in pristine condition for a third less than new. When you want to blow away a turkey or a duck/goose/crane/mudhen, the go down to the pawn shop and pick up a plane-Jane 870 12 gauge ($150 off season) and don't worry much about what happens to it.

Now, would you like to hear my opinions on women?

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

If you want versatility, you have to get an auto of some kind.I wont get into the makes and models, cause everyones tastes are different. I shoot two different Remington autos 11-96 and 11-87 super mag and love them, but you may or may not like the feel of them.
Auto shotguns are better for waterfowling than doubles because of shell capacity and weight, not to mention felt recoil in heavy waterfowl loads.They are also better than pumps when hunting geese or ducks in cornfields while laying on the ground or in tight confined spaces.Sometimes it can be down rite hard to shuck spent shells from a pump while shooting at birds while sitting in awkward positions.
If you ever decide to shoot skeet or sporting clays the auto is also a great choice because of quik follow up shooting capabilities.
Alot of the gun manufactures are making autos that can shoot anything from light 2 3/4 target loads all the way up to the 3 1/2 heavy magnum loads, so if your looking for versatility, the auto is the only way to go.
Good shooting.
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a shotgun that fits you well, thats the key to good shotgunning. I'd shoulder a bunch of different brands and types and pick the one that felt the best. Everyone has different preferences to barrel lengths and gauge.

For waterfowl hunting I'd go synthetic since, for me anyway, the gun gets pretty wet. My guns have been dropped in the water so that just the barrel was sticking out. Of course since you say you'll mostly be upland hunting this may not be that important.

Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobvthunter,

What's your budget?
Is weight an issue while grouse hunting?
Are you hunting over dogs? if so, are they flushing or pointing breeds?

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several entry level shotguns around. You will want a 12ga that handle 3 inch shells. Forget about steel shot for waterfowl as there are many more options today which are better. Screw in chokes will also be helpful. Depending on how you shot, at least 26 inch barrel. Forget about the long 30+ inch barrels as those are speciality guns.

Whether you choose pump, auto, o/u or sxs is up to you. Some folks have trouble with sxs because of the sit picture. When you are ready, you may want to ask about others experience with a particular shotgun.

By the way, I am sure you will enjoy it. The vast spectrum of hunting options will keep you busy for years just trying them all. The gun is really secondary.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll ignore some of the bovine fecal matter spouted off above and get right to the basics.....money.

If you are on a strict budget and want an all around gun, then you are nearly by necessity forced to choose a pump. I happen to like 870s, but the Benelli Nova or the Mossberg in 3 1/2 inch 12 ga are also valid choices, all of which can be had for about $300 or less new. The reason for a 12?......versatility, it can be loaded as lightly as a .410 or with the 3 1/2s can be used, even with steel, for the biggerst geese.

Now, if you are not on a strict budget but still considering costs, the choices become much broader. Most people that shot autos think the Berettas or the Benelli are currently top of the heap. While none of them are as tough as a good double or a pump, the Benelli Black Eagle is a good all around choice, capable of handling it all.

The other choice on a larger, or MUCH larger, budget come down to either an over and under or a side by side, or as someone pointed out, different guns for different occasions. After all, you don't use the same gun for prarie dogs as you do for cape buffalo. This is mostly personal preference, the O/U has a slight edge for most people but not enough to preclude a S/S. When you get to this level, there are many, many good choices in the $2000 or less area, beyond that, Perazzi, Fabbri, Purdy, etc make some that will make all but Saeed level spenders back up. For example, a really good Fabbri will cost well in excess of $50,000 new, and worth it, if you've got the money.

For your uses, if you elect to get a double, either o/u or s/s AND you are planning on ONE gun doing it all, you really need to get a 12 with 3 inch chambers (I'm not aware of any doubles with 3 1/2 inch chambers but there may be a few) AND screw in chokes.

I shoot and strongly believe in Winchester 101s, an O/U, but they haven't been made in nearly 15 years, they are heavier than some people like, so that may not be a viable option for you.

If you live near a skeet or sporting clays club, borrow a shotgun if you don't have one, go out and shoot it, and let it be known that you are new to shotgunning and would like to try different guns/actions. You will probably be amazed at how helpful the members will be, loaning you guns to try, etc. Good luck.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Just got in from a quail hunt today. I use a Winchester 101 choked skeet and skeet. I've had this gun since 1968. Suggest a 12 gauge for vesatility. I've used 12's and 20's and keep coming back to the 12 . Get what fits you in what ever action you like. I think if you are a duck hunter, you need a synthetic stocked semi-auto 12 with 3 1/2 in chambers and something else for everything else. But above all get what fits. And remember " A gentleman shoots adouble." Good hunting.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far. Although diverse, they have been helpful. Let me ask a couple more questions and add a bit more background and a few what ifs...

How does the recoil of a 12 gauge autoloader compare to a 12 gauge pump? Reason I ask is that I had an 870 Wingmaster that I was fine with most of the time, but if I shot 3-4 rounds of trap in close succession to me the recoil became bothersome. Unfortunately, I'm not the most recoil tolerant person in the world. That experience got me thinking about autoloaders or maybe going down to a 20 gauge, or both. From the reading I've done, my understanding is that a 20 gauge wouldn't be all that suitable for waterfowl, but the more I think about it, the more I think I could live with that limitation. As I mentioned I have never waterfowl hunted, and as a matter of fact I'm not even sure that I know anyone who does. So I'm not sure if waterfowl hunting should play a major part in my decision. Now a 20 gauge would be great for the upland hunting side of things, but what about turkey hunting with one? It seems most of the "turkey guns" are 12 gauge, but I see that some ammuntition manufacturers list 20 gauge "turkey loads". I guess what I'm getting at is whether or not your recommendation would change if waterfowl hunting was excluded and I said the gun would be exclusively for upland and turkey hunting.

A couple people asked about budget... I definately don't want to get too much over $1000, but would prefer to stay under that figure. I'm willing to spend a little more money for better quality. And I don't consider this a "starter" gun, because as I said I have done some grouse hunting and target shooting, enjoy both, and will certainly be using the gun for those purposes.

Thanks for the replies and wallowing through this extended description!

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I am a real fan of a nice double for upland game. Nice does not have to mean $$$ if you buy used.

OTOH I don't believe you can get a double with the kind of "rifle sights" you need for utrkey shooting. A pump is definitely more versatile. Buy one barrel for turkey, another for upland, etc.

In fact, I have hunted upland with an 18" home defense pump, and it was a nice, quick-pointing hunting tool.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Benelli Super Black Eagle... Buy some 31/2" lead #5's...It'll put that turkey's feet where his head was.
I use mine for everything with feathers,but nothing is nicer than a good double gun for upland. UNLESS you absolutely have to have that third shot.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron:

Man, my hats off to you, you are a dyed in the wool bird hunter. If I hunted 70+ days and averaged only 2 birds a day, I'd take up knitting. Not to mention, I wasn't tough enough for chukar hunting on the Salmon River and that was 15 years ago.....I think my lab, who was from Louisiana couldn't figure out how all that marsh got vertical. After a few days of that, I converted to smallmouth fishing. Great fishing trip.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote