New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game vest
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking to get a new Game Vest. It will be my first, as I am just getting back into grouse/upland hunting. I want it to have orange on it and I am tall. I was looking at Filson, and Gamehide. Any reccomendations? Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That really is a personal preference, what I have and like you may not,...I have a mountain prairie,...what I like about it is the two front zippered angled pockets, the zip open game pouch for easier unloading and cleaning and the cross draw front openings for accessing the game pouch.

I prefer vests over coats because it is more versitle and I can layer my clothes better since I hunt grouse in sept when it is 75+ and pheasants in december when it is 0 degrees or colder

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chain, in my opinion the only vest worth considering is the Quilomene Vest http://www.quilomene.com/page/995744

I imported this vest for me from the USA in 2008 and it works like a charm. It has enough compartments, pockets and it is fully adjustable. It carries a good size bladder and it is really comfortable too.
I guide Greywing Partridge hunts in South Africa and do a lot of walking after these highly sought after wild game birds. We can do up to 10 miles of hiking a day and you need something durable and comfortable with enough capacity.
I give this vest 10 out of 10.

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at vests like this including one by Filson. Do the straps hinder your placement of the weapon at all? Does it take some time to get used to, because of the straps? Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chain
If the Filson vest you were looking at was their #16021 strap vest, I would advise against it.
It is well made, but the strap that holds it together on your chest does not stay put. The vest will be flapping in the wind. If you want to have someone sew in a different style strap that might work.
Their style #16015 Pro vest is much better. Except it is quite heavy and does not have any orange on it. It will hold a ton of gear though.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That is the one I was looking at because of the orange. I like the looks of the one Greywing suggested. I am checking that one now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use the Quilomene and think it is a great vest. Take a look at the Bucks Bags vest. If I needed to replace the Quilomene I would be getting the Bucks

Posts: 88 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at the Quilomene and the Wings Works.. Wings Works is out of stock. I will check out the Bucks Bags. I like the Quilomene, I am just not sure on the hydration system, I like the water bottle carriers the Wing Works has.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great luck with the Filson, no problems.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love all my Filson stuff. I keep telling my wife I need more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.texashuntco.com/Pro...ils.asp?ProductID=52

Take a look at this one...I designed it based on years of shooting wild desert quail here in Texas.

None tougher top-notch quality - made right here in Texas in my factory!...

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, That sure is a nice looking vest! Where would you store water bottles for easy access for my dog? I can't tell from the pics.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for what Studdog asked. Also how are they for a tall guy ? Looks like a great vest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this one.

http://www.texashuntco.com/Pro...ils.asp?ProductID=62

Developed with some fellas from the Dakotas who asked for the large pocket specifically. I asked if they wanted water bottle pockets and they said no. I asked why and they said that waterbottles vary greatly in size and if there was a simple solution it was a large all-purpose pocket behind the game bag - here it is!

JW

PS: Chain, fits a tall guy well (I'm 6-1" and has plenty of room to go).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, you know it's the off-season for birds when the busiest thread in the last month is about a game vest. rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I'm running my birddog in warm conditions I like to have dog water readily available in front pockets. The Texas Hunt Co vest looks great but I'd have to see if I can carry several water bottles in the front pockets along with my other stuff(lead, ammo etc.)

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at them all and ordered the TexasHuntco vest with out the extra pocket. Need to look at it face to face to see how it will accomodate a couple water bottles. It looks like a great protect. I'm sure Jeff will exchange it if I need the extra pocket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We'll do whatever it takes to get you the best possible vest for your needs.

JW

PS - We appreciate the business!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff, I'm waiting for delivery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received my TEXASHUNTCO vest. Great looking product! High quality materials throughout. I think it will handle a couple of bottles of water for my dog. No problem. Can't wait to try it out. The size adjustability is terrific. You can really customize the fit to you and whatever your wearing. Good job Jeff.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
wingworkz fan myself. Absolutely the best hotweather vest I've used.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google WingWorks Hunting Vests. Very well designed.
lb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas hunt co vest is the best one out there for Bare bones setup.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

We take pride in the fact that we "had to", not "wanted to" go into the vest business!

Our desert quail hunting here is very demanding on man, beast and equipment. When Russell moccasin picked me up as a "Pro-Staff" member years ago, they were surprised at the wear I put on a pair of "Pricklypear" snake boots in just one season!

Not tooting my own horn, but just making the case that we build what we need and make it bomb-tough to hold up to our harsh environment!

I'm glad to hear that work has paid off...AND we are 100% Made In THE USA.

Thanks!

JW

One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
Check out the Pella line. I tend to over pack my vest and we put MANY miles on each day. The Pella has an internal support that makes my 15-20 lbs pack very comfortable.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote