New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which ducks taste best?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this is like asking if you prefer brunettes to blondes, but which ducks in your opinion taste good, which taste bad, and which taste just ugly? Opinions please.

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I think the best is probably mallards. I have heard that canvasback are good also. I have also eaten teal and gadwalls, and they arn't bad either. Most of the divers(fish eaters) are not good to eat IMHO.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
They all taste good in a properly made gumbo with a couple diced up andouille sausages thrown in. Big Grin

Make good jerky too, and you can use a good marinade and a smoker to make any of them palatable.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
My these are my favorites:

Roasted mallard

Roasted wood duck

fried teal

Gadwalls and pintails are pretty good too. I was underwhelmed by the one canvasback I got to try.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I have a mallard in the fridge I plan on roasting this evening, and the breast of a few spoonbills I am going to do something with, but the spooners smell pretty fishy. Just wanted someone else's opinion of which ones to cook for the wife, as she doesnt prefer the strong wild taste.
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
In order of preference:
Wood Ducks
Teal
Mallards

Grey ducks, Pintails, Widgeon etc. all taste pretty good too.

Cnavas backs ARE diver ducks and depending on where you shoot them can be pretty tasty. On the Atlantic flyway (what's left of it) all the diver ducks, blue bill, Canvasbacks, rudy ducks, red heads, etc. need LOTS of preparation (stewed with spices) before I will even think of eating them. They are still fun to shoot.

Diver Ducks in the Mississippi flyway all taste fine to me because their diet is so similar to a Mallard anyway. I ate a Canvas back shot in Arkansas and it tased the same as a Mallard. It just depends on what the duck has been eating. If its eating snails and fishy stuff its gonna taste that way.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
You might try putting those spoonbill breasts on the grill wrapped in bacon. My dad cooked a few spoonbills and mergansers like that and its pretty good eating.

Then again, if you want to turn your wife onto wild duck, roast that mallard and share that with her along with a little wine and some wild rice. That's good eatin'!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Diver Ducks in the Mississippi flyway all taste fine to me because their diet is so similar to a Mallard anyway. I ate a Canvas back shot in Arkansas and it tased the same as a Mallard. It just depends on what the duck has been eating. If its eating snails and fishy stuff its gonna taste that way.

That paragraph sums it up nicely. It all depends on the diet.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pintail, gadwall, widgeon...in that order.This all has to do with where you hunt, by the way.

Snipe Hunter, I had a dog as a kid that would point and hold snipe...old Rip. He was a WPG and had the best nose I've ever encountered, plus he had bird sense.

I flood about 1/2 acre below my house just to attract Wilson Snipe...and TO HELL with steel shot! I use #9 target loads on my own land.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
teal,mallard...finally coot

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snipe Hunter, I had a dog as a kid that would point and hold snipe...old Rip. He was a WPG and had the best nose I've ever encountered, plus he had bird sense.

I flood about 1/2 acre below my house just to attract Wilson Snipe...and TO HELL with steel shot! I use #9 target loads on my own land.

Luv2safari, I have never known anyone in Nevada that hunts snipe. At the snipe forum there is one guy from Oregon that is hardcore but most of the other members hail from the southeast. If you get a chance look at some of the snipe hunting pics I posted in this same section of the forum. The thread is titled "The 2006 season has been good". I don't here post often because of a general lack of interest in snipe hunting.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canvas Back cooked with a little barbecue sauce isvery good. Very mild compared to most ducks. I have a friend that shoots a very pretty old LC smith on ducks and he uses Federal #7 high speed steel target loads on ducks, very effective and legal. His back up gun is a elsie also.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Teal, mallard and wood duck are all delicious.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Acorn fat wood ducks get my vote for number 1.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grafton:
Acorn fat wood ducks get my vote for number 1.

Ditto that!

#2 Mallards
#3 is a tie between teal & widgeon

Never had canvasback, but have heard it is good

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Teal & mallard -- but any duck, cooked on the grill, wrapped in bacon with a slice of jalapeño is hard to pass down

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teal for me. I like them all, but teal are the best on my plate.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for teal.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aix sponsa

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Woodies, teal and mallards are my top 3.

On one of the Duck Commander DVD's, Phil Robertson laid out a bunch of ducks in what he considered his order of table fare, then at the end he held up a spoony and said "well when times are hard....."

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
teal is the meal

Vegetarian-A bad hunter. Someone who survives by consuming not food, but the stuff that food eats.
The vegetarian was forced to subsist on slower prey, such as the broccoli and carrot.

Posts: 9 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
add cream cheese to the jalapenos in the bacon wrapped woody breast and you can get a finicky 9 year old girl to eat it (Taylor's Stamp of Approval).

Andy

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Haven't tasted a lot of different ducks, but mallards' great!
Tried a new recepie this weekend.
Roasted breasts, glas noodles, brown sugar, japanese soya, mushrooms and different vegetables.. Great!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would recommend picking up the book "Big December Canvasbacks" the author goes into how each duck tastes and all of that along with some great stories. Here is a link to what I think is a great duck recipe that everyone should try atleast once!

http://www.azsj.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16711

Vegetarian-A bad hunter. Someone who survives by consuming not food, but the stuff that food eats.
The vegetarian was forced to subsist on slower prey, such as the broccoli and carrot.

Posts: 9 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
woodreaux t. duck

woodies tast the best

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
mallards

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Kroger ducks.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wood ducks are number one by far.

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2safari:
Pintail, gadwall, widgeon...in that order.This all has to do with where you hunt, by the way.

Good job on your shot of choice.

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the green winged teal ! Taste very good !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
teal /wood duck

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teal.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
If one knows how to prepare duck, most are good. However, their recent diet can play a role in their table fare. My fav's are:
Puddle Ducks:
Mallard
Black Duck
Pintail
Wood Duck
all Teal
Gadwall
Widgeon
Yellow Bill & Knob Bill(africa)

Divers:
Redhead
Canvasback
Ring Neck Duck (Jacks)

Geese:
Most all of them, even Snow's (lesser)
Egyptian (africa)

I fillet the breast and remove the silver skin from the breast and tenderloins. Cut into strips and soak in cold water for 30 minutes (helps remove the blood, i.e., gamey flavor). Maranade in 1 tbsp Kikkoman Soy, 1/3 cup Kikkoman Teriyaki, 1/4 cup Tiger sauce for 1 hour in fridge. Dredge in flour and fry in Olive Oil. Be sure not to over cook. Excellent!
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Futrdoc:
add cream cheese to the jalapenos in the bacon wrapped woody breast and you can get a finicky 9 year old girl to eat it (Taylor's Stamp of Approval).

Was about to say the same when I read this one. I cut a pocket in the breast and place the cream cheese inside (melt in your mouth). I've only hunted the Mississippi flyway, and I agree totally about the diving ducks and their diet. If they've been eating fish and snails, serve them to a French guest, or marinate them in buttermilk and fry like chicken.

Teal, Mallards and Gadwall, Woodies

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Early season mallard would be my preference before they start heading out to sea for a bit of refuge.
What dont I like? Shoveller ! It was like eating a mud pie.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Puddles Cooked FAST and HOT

One Version of Bloody Duck

* 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 8 skinned, boned duck breast halves

DIRECTIONS

1. Stir together the Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, hot sauce, garlic, and pepper. Add the duck breasts, and toss well to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
2. Preheat a grill for medium-high to high heat.
3. Grill the duck to desired doneness, about 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-well, depending on the size of the breast, and the temperature of the grill.

I use HIGH heat about 3 min per side.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Duck (wine)

Donald Duck (grapefruit juice)

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzCondor:
I would recommend picking up the book "Big December Canvasbacks" the author goes into how each duck tastes and all of that along with some great stories. Here is a link to what I think is a great duck recipe that everyone should try atleast once!

http://www.azsj.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16711

I was right there with the guy, up until he wrote the words 'Rice-A-Roni'... Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite are mergansers, with bufflehead being a close second.....yummy. Wink

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue wing teal (Sept hunting), green wing and mallard especially if they've been south long enuf to fatten up on rice and soybeans.

Now that we have that out of the way...

Coot ain't bad. Just remember you breast it out. Shred it with onions, spuds and tomatoes in a casserole with bread crumbs and parmesan on top.

Another REAL good recipe not used much in modern times is duck gumbo. You shred the duck and use it with or instead of cajun sausage. Add some shrimp and crabmeat. And here's another little tip you're gonna like - duck dressing - use duck in it with or instead of oysters.

As for Spoonies, I smell the mouth. If you don't smell anything, they are as good as any other duck. If they smell fishy, well then...guess who gets to eat them..

There's also what many of us call Sky Carp. IMO they're really OK. Kind of like a cross between duck and red meat. If you luck on to their cousins the Specks, then you have good eating ahead.