Find
Notify
Tools

28ga for Dove and Quail
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
I'm looking for a nice field grade 28ga in a O/U or double. What would be your choice and why?

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
You cannot beat the Italians for cost/performance in 28 Gauge. Here are some 28 Gauge recommendations.

Make: Beretta
Model: Beretta 686 White Oryx
MSRP: $2,075

Also from Beretta but a little bit more money...

Make: Beretta
Model: Beretta 687 EELL Diamond Pigeon King Ranch
MSRP: $7,650

Fausti - They are a small family owned company and the quality is just a tad lower than Beretta but very nice cost/performance. Cabelas can order them for you in 28 Gauge.

Make: Fausti
Model: Caledon
MSRP: $2,569

Here is a nice Side by Side from Fausti in 28 Gauge

Make: Fausti
Model: Dea (One Italian word...this is not D.E.A. Big Grin )
MSRP: $3,890

I can give you 28 gauge recommendation for German and British makers as well but they will be quite a bit more money.

Another not too expensive option is the Browning. Good news is that they are not made in China (yet) and the Japanese made are quite good.

Make: Browning
Model: Cynergy
MSRP: $2,460

Couple of months ago we had a fun discussion on 28 gauge...here is the link.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...391002741#8391002741

Caesar Guerini - Another good field gun and good service provided right in Maryland for this Italian Make.

Make: Caesar Guerini
Model: Woodlander
MSRP: $2,995

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go look at Yildiz (O/U) shotguns at your local Academy Sports. I think they are a good buy at 400-500 bucks as I recollect.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's your budget???

Brian H
Longmont CO

Posts: 79 | Location: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning Citori is the most gun for the $. I have the 625 Sporting, 30" bbls, and I love it.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jackduckhunter
posted Hide Post
I love my Ruger Red Label in .28 gauge. A bit less than some of these mentioned and a pleasure to shoot.

Captain Jack Renfrew
Coastline Guide Service
www.CoastlineGuideService.com

Posts: 110 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the vote for the Red Label in the lower tier......but I also love my Citori.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you can find a Beretta Silver Pigeon 28 gauge O/U you should grab it.

My wife has one and I have lost count of the number of doves she has killed with it.

I love the way it handles, although the stock is too short for me.

Terrific little shotgun.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those little Berettas are what H&H uses in Argentina for their "rent" guns...Zillions of rounds fired through them and they just keep going!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had my Beretta O/U for 30years and it too has fired zillions of rounds and I have not needed to replace ANY parts at all. In fact Gerard Schultz tightened it up a tad 5 years ago after I noticed a tiny bit of play in the action. Not enough to warrant a trip to the 'smith but it freaked me out so I had it done. Lets just say I LOVE my Beretta. Big Grin I am going to buy another very soon. Smiler

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
After a couple of days, I made both of H&H's 28ga Berettas give up the ghost. Yep, they probably had zillions of rounds through them but I had 2 break on me, one a firing pin and the other got something wrong with the lock up and wouldn't close properly. My bird boy had them back up and running the next day but . . . anything with wheels or with tits is subject to men having trouble with it.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In SxSs, if your budget permits, an AyA #2 sidelock or a 4/53 boxlock are pretty close to the feel of a nice English game gun.

With English stock, splinter forend and double triggers they are beautiful, light and responsive guns and are noted for reliability.

Oxon

posted Hide Post
I am currently shooting a CZ woodcock, which is a nice little double for around $1000 new. The only thing I don't like on it is the safety - it tends to bind up between barrel selection, and then can not be disengaged. I shoot it well, though, and it is reasonably priced. I also own a 1970's vintage 870 wingmaster that I inherited from my father, and I still shoot some doves with it from time to time. If money was not so much of an issue, I would get one of the berettas - probably the silver pigeon. I just like the way they feel and swing!
E Dawg

Posts: 15 | Location: Fort Collins, CO | Registered: 05 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best 28's are built on 28 ga. size frame, that is what makes them so handy. Beretta makes small frame 28's, and I think most of the other Italians do as well. The Brownings are on a 20 ga. frame. There are quite a few of the Parker repro's around right now in 28 and they are super.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Franchi also makes a very light and lively 28 O/U for a bit over $1,000 street.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Beretta Silver Pigeon with screw in chokes and a schnabel foreend, very nice and fast handling shot gun. Most of the time I have improved and modified screwed in, unless I am at the skeet range. I shoot nothing but 3/4 oz loads in my 28's, and also love this shotgun for hunting quail.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote