Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

28 bore shooting
 Login/Join

posted
Does any one have any experience of using a 28 bore for bird hunting, I have been using one for several season now due to a bad neck, but I find it really good to use, on Pheasant and Partridge and really excellent on Quail, I reload my own ammo, too expensive to buy factory fodder here in Australia,

Posts: 5 | Location: brisbane Australia | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Brian,

A 28 gauge shot string is ballistically superior to a 20 gauge shot string and is more closer in characteristics to a 12 gauge.

When I say "shot string" think 3D pattern in flight, not a 2D pattern on a flat target.

So say given all things equal, if I had a choice to shoot between a 20 gauge or a 28 gauge (even for long range targets) I will prefer the 28 gauge.

For 28 gauge I use #7.5 shot in 3/4oz (I think it is about 22 grams in metric) going at 1,300 feet per second out of a Light Modified choke...and it will put a hurting on any upland bird that you can think of (Pheasant, Partridge, Quail) to about 35 to 40 yards.

On cautionary notes....You can add more shot or add more speed to the pellets but then the pattern gets blown up. If cross wind is not a factor then #8 shot will also give you very good patterns out to 35 yards.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So say given all things equal, if I had a choice to shoot between a 20 gauge or a 28 gauge (even for long range targets) I will prefer the 28 gauge.

...good advice, collector...

...that said, are there any situations where you would prefer a 20 over a 28?...

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@JHunter

So my response was in leiu to shooting upland birds where we are allowed to use lead shot. 28 gauge over 20 gauge hands down.

Now..to answer your question....Yes, absolutely....20 gauge would be a better option to use for waterfowl hunting over 28 gauge (in general, waterfowl are tougher to bring down than upland variety because of their thicker skin and tougher bone structure), especially if you are using non-toxic shot such as bismuth instead of lead.

A Bit On Waterfowl Resiliency:
Increase in toughness from low to high...more energy required to bring them down.
- Puddle Ducks (Easier) e.g. Teal, Wigeon
- Diver Ducks (Harder) e.g. Scaup, Goldeneye
- Sea Ducks (Keep shooting until they are lying dead on water) e.g. Scoters, Oldsquaws, Eiders

So if I was hunting waterfowl...definitely 20 gauge over 28 gauge.

And for 20 gauge you are better off using 7/8 oz loads over 1 oz or bigger loads. 7/8 oz (probably 24 grams in metric) patterns much much better (think 3D) and you can shoot birds much farther out consistently although you are using less amount of pellets than a 1 oz shell.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father uses a 28 bore because of his bad back. it is a beautiful gun to shoot with and does the job perfectly.

Here is a video of him shooting it in slow motion:
Slow Motion Video

Regards, S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...9pI&feature=youtu.be

"Where is an elephant's sexual organs? on its feet because if it steps on you you're fu*ked"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...appreciate your reply and insight, collector...

posted Hide Post
I thank you guys for the messages about the 28 bore, It confirms what I have found out myself, My reloads are close to factory fodder in performance, And the 3/4oz load using lead shot works really well, Can not buy non toxic shot where I live, so cannot try it, When I go over to NZ, I can use lead shot because the gun is a sub calibre(below a 12 bore) I have shot ducks, using No 5 shot, I also have tried No 6, with good results, but have not shot enough to say what is best!! With the 28 I shall be able to hunt for a few more years, I hope.

Posts: 5 | Location: brisbane Australia | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot plenty of puddle ducks with 5 shot lead in a 28 gauge and it works perfectly fine

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I love my 28's for bird hunting. On my last pheasant hunt that's all I used. tu2