THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Shotgun for High Volume Doves?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun for High Volume Doves?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well in the past I have not shot machine guns as the English call them, but I know a lot of guys that swear by the "Long black stick of death". They mostly shoot 12's. With the light skeet loads and the occasionally 1 oz. Win special 28 I get along fine. I have done all the big number shnooting I will every do so I go for the fun and for me the fun is a 28 or at the most a 20. Unfortunately when I go again I WILL BE SHOOTING A MACHINE GUN because that was the only one I was able to save from the Bankruptcy. 1 nice Rem wingmaster 28 with a vent rib Briley choked pump.
The people that I know using tghe Benelli's swear by them and that is just about all you will see in Cuba as well.
TTUL

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
If you own a Bennelli, you may not have trouble with it now, But, YOU WILL

You could say that about any gun.

I shoot a ton of skeet and SC's with my SBEII and only clean it about every 2k rounds and have never had a problem with light target loads or any problem for that matter.

I also have an 11 year old M1 that has had 10's of thousands of rounds through it and it has never failed.

I also have a 391 that I've never had a problem with.

I've seen a lot of 1100's fail though.

IMHO, I like Benelli's and Beretta auto's. They are both reliable as heck. Sure the Benelli recoils more, but then it is also lighter. At the point you have the extra weight of the 391, you may as well add a recoil reducer to a Benelli, have it be the same weight as a 391, recoil less and have it be twice as easy to clean.

I'm going to Argentina in 5 weeks and will be brining my SBEII with a spare pin for the trigger assembly, a spare firing pin and a spare bolt handle. Not that I anticipate using the spare parts, but just want to be safe.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who are you shooting with? For sure you will have a good time. I never have had a REALLY BAD shoot there, only some have been FABULOUS.

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winggunner:
Who are you shooting with? For sure you will have a good time. I never have had a REALLY BAD shoot there, only some have been FABULOUS.

I'm going with Rancho Salvaje(Daniel Zanuso). This is the link to his booking agent in the U.S.: Rancho Salvaje

I was wondering if those that have been before can answer a couple questions:

1) Is the gun permit process like RSA where you just bring it with you filled out? I have the form and was assuming that I just had to fill it out and bring it with me.

2) Can I take the plug out of the gun??

3) I've went a couple thousand rounds without cleaning my Benelli all the time and the wad build up isn't that bad. I'm wondering though that with the barrel not cooling down, if I'll have more of a problem with wad fouling?

4) What should I bring for cleaning solvent? I don't want to bring anything in my luggage that could break or leak. No doubt I'll bring a bore snake, should I just soak it in cleaner before packing it?

No doubt I'll be bringing gloves, eye protection, ear protection and the such, but is there anything else I'm not thinking of??? I have the SBE in the shop right now having a "paddle" fitted to the bolt release right now to make it work more like the after market 391 bolt releases. I could not imagine having to push that tiny button 1,000 times a day.

I was told by someone that for doves to not even load more than one shell at a time to save wear on your hands, sound right?

We are doing ducks for a couple days then transferring to LaPampa to do doves and pigeons for a couple days. On the back end we are probably going to stay one night at the Ceasar Park in B.A. before leaving.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going with Rancho Salvaje(Daniel Zanuso). This is the link to his booking agent in the U.S.: Rancho Salvaje

I was wondering if those that have been before can answer a couple questions:

1) Is the gun permit process like RSA where you just bring it with you filled out? I have the form and was assuming that I just had to fill it out and bring it with me.

I have not been down since they started the new process. But I understand that all the paperwork is done down there. Check with agent as you might need photos, etc.
In the past I have even taken handguns with me without any problems

2) Can I take the plug out of the gun??

PLUG HELL, you will need magazine extensions

3) I've went a couple thousand rounds without cleaning my Benelli all the time and the wad build up isn't that bad. I'm wondering though that with the barrel not cooling down, if I'll have more of a problem with wad fouling?

Your barrels will get hot that is for sure. Wear gloves and rotate the guns.

4) What should I bring for cleaning solvent? I don't want to bring anything in my luggage that could break or leak. No doubt I'll bring a bore snake, should I just soak it in cleaner before packing it?

I suggest that you take everything BUT YOUR SOLVENT. Check with the guys over in the gun cleaning forum. You should be able to get a suitable solvent at an auto parts store.

No doubt I'll be bringing gloves, eye protection, ear protection and the such, but is there anything else I'm not thinking of??? I have the SBE in the shop right now having a "paddle" fitted to the bolt release right now to make it work more like the after market 391 bolt releases. I could not imagine having to push that tiny button 1,000 times a day.

You might want to take some chaps that will slide over you pants in the event you must bust brush. EVERYTHING DOWN THERE HAS THORNS.
WHY not arrange for an extra bird boy like I do and have one load. Show his how and be damn sure he faces away from you while loading. I use over and under and I just have him pass it back to me OPEN. My O/U don’t have safeties since I used to shoot skeet with them and did not want the bother with auto safeties. Good safe gun handling is the safest way to go anyway. My grandfather hated safety’. He said it made people careless; best to always treat the gun like is was ready to go ALL THE TIME and I believe he was right.

I was told by someone that for doves to not even load more than one shell at a time to save wear on your hands, sound right?

Get another bird boy

We are doing ducks for a couple days then transferring to LaPampa to do doves and pigeons for a couple days. On the back end we are probably going to stay one night at the Ceasar Park in B.A. before leaving.

You will have fun. Good luck and email me again if you want additional answers. Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btglfer:
I'm going on my 1st Mexico dove shoot in February and need to commit to what gun to bring along. My choices are an old but decent shape Remington Model 11-48 in 20ga. or a new Remington 11-87 in 12ga.

My preference is the 20ga. since it is lightweight and a favorite from my younger years dove hunting. My concern is that I've heard these hunts can be hard on a shotgun at up to 500 rounds per day.

Is anyone familiar with the 11-48? It is a spring loaded automatic with copper bushing, like an A-5. Will it hold up? Or should I go with the new 11-87? I obviously don't want to destroy the old gun, or be without on my hunt.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Not within the choices you mentioned, but if I have to reccomend one shotgun it would be the Benelli Cordoba hands down !! thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/cordoba.tpl

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are staying one additional night in Buenos Aires. It was recommended by someone that we stay near Florida Street. My question is, how much Spanish do I need to know to navigate around? i.e. shop, order dinner etc...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Senor,
No mucho. You will be just fine. Florida is the shopping street for tourist. I can not remember the name of the other street that runs parallel to it where the locals shop, but if you don't speak spanish it might not do you any good. If a tour guide takes you they are going to get a cut of what ever you buy. I believe it is that way IN ANY COUNTRY, not just Argentina. Screw the Gringo is the name of the game. I love Argentina and the people outside the cities are great. I don't like BA. To big for this country boy although on my first trip my friend stopped and asked a gentleman for directions and he insisted in taking there personally in his own car. Damn nice of him I thought. Spanish is a very easy language to learn. It is very regular and ANY EFFORT YOU MAKE TO SPEAK EVEN A FEW WORDS WILL BE REWARDED ONE HUNDRED FOLD. It is unfortunate that many North Americans are assh---s when they travel and expect everyone to speak English. If asked where you are from DON'T ANSWER "I am an American" Remember that THEY ARE AMERICANS AS WELL. You are North American and they are South American and the of course you have the Central Americans.
If you wish and you have specific questions you may private message me and I will be happy to give you what information I can. Some questions you might have you might feel uneasy asking in light of the fact that there are a number of members from Argentina.
You will have fun.
Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B