Find
Notify
Tools

410--Skeet or Full Choke
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
If you had a model 42 Winchester for hunting grouse, some game farm pheasants, and the occassional wild pheasant, which choke would you choose if your choices were either skeet or full? Will the skeet choke break up too fast to be effective beyond 30 yards? Most grouse shots are closer so this doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with a skeet choke, same with game farm birds. But wild pheasants a full will probably be better. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
You are going to have to pattern your gun to draw any type of conclusion.

There just isn't enough pellet count to properly populate a pattern to make a .410 much more than a 25-30 yard pheasant gun, regardless of choke.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Let's skip the patterning for now, I need an answer! One choke, skeet or full?

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I'll play, a 16 gauge choked for the distances you encounter the most shots at.

The .410's best pattern comes with shot 7.5 or smaller, which have no business being used on a pheasant past 25 yards, so skeet would work, provided you avoid going away shots on pheasant no more than 25 yards from you. For quail I'd say an IC or mod would be good to the limit of the small .410 payload's effectiveness of 30-35 yards.

The .410 can kill pheasants, it simply is no where near ideal-especially for wild ones. Shots over a good pointing dog are best.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Planemech,

So given what you have said, which would you choose, skeet or full?

3" of 8 shot, is the pattern going to be that much different at 30 yards with a full vs a skeet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full choke, man! it's a .410. Kill the bird or miss cleanly. Skeet choke and the .410 can be dicey on birds, and even preserve birds deserve some respect as prey.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
full choke with a 410,,, miss or kill cleanly,,, in guiding bird hunters in TEXAS a man with a 410 is to be feared,,,, he eatheris very good, or listened to his friends and spent his money unwisely

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
A .410 is a poor choice for pheasants, period. Choke won't help when there is inadequate payload to begin with.

It is a horrible crippler, and was never designed to be a field gun in the first place-- it is a "taxidermist's gun."

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a skeet/skeet choked 20 ga. O/U I have had excellent results on the type game you describe. That said... With a .410 I would not even consider the skeet choke. Go full if you want to hunt with a .410. Respect your prey man.
Cheers,
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The idea that with a full you miss clean or kill is a falacy, aa bit if time at the pattern board will show you this very quickly. In .410 the best payload you can get is 11/16ths ounce, it's not enough for any pellet size larger than 7, and since #7 is not commerically loaded in .410 that means #7.5. Now 11/16ths ounce is a viable load in 7.5 for pattern density adequate for pheasants, the shot size however isn't past 25 yards- it simply does not posses the retained energy to ensure adequate penetration from all angles. Additonally the 3" .410 shot column is very long and as such has a higher percentage of damaged pellets in it from setback and barrel scrub than the 3/4oz 28 for example.

Pattern performance and size is standard for all the gauges. The standard for performance is 70% of the payload in a 30 inch circle at distance. 20 yards for cylinder, 25 yards for skeet, 30 for improved cylinder, 32.5 for skeet 2, 35 for modified, 37.5 for improved modified and 40 yards for full. The problem with choke is the tighter the choke the slower the opening of the patern to it's design range and the faster it degrades after that. The .410 damages more shot in the process of firing than as a percentage of the total than any other shotshell, and it has the fewest to spare in the first place. Again some time at the pattern board will show you this quickly. Chukar and quail do not take much killing and 8 or 7.5 is a fine choice for them-especially on preserves. Pheasants run upwards of 3 lbs vs. 6-8oz for a quail or 1 lb for a chukar the shot energy requirements are wildly different. Preserve pheasants are ofetn encountered closer than wild, though it isn't an ironclad rule. For pheasants well pointed and held close by a dog the .410 can be an effective gun, if the pheasants do not play along it's a disaster waiting to happen. With the .410 more damaged shot is leaving the pattern rapidly than with any other gauge. Full choke further degrades the performance as it allows very litle "aiming error" with it's very tight patterns at close range where the 7.5 shot is a viable choice for pheasant. A pheasant can carry a bunch of shot in the breast, back and legs that render lesser sized birds incapacitated, it doesn't mean they won't die later often they will it's just you'll never recover it. So I recommend a larger bore, if you must shoot them with a .410 since 25 yards is all the shot size is good for I recommend the optimum pattern for that range- skeet and a very judicious choice of shots.

A far better choice where pheasants are concerned is a bore that will handle 1 ounce of #6 and it's choked for the ranges you are encountering the shots at. I hunt pheasants from season opener to close and when they are the goal I always carry a 16 with at least 1 ounce of #6 and chokes appropriate for the range I'll be using it at. I do not hesitate to shoot them while quail hunting with a 28 provided they are in a range appropriate to the load in the chamber.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Planemech, well said. The .410 is not a pheasant gun under anything but unusual conditions. The pattern is considerably smaller even comparing skeet chokes from different gauges, at least my skeet Kolar tubes show that from 20 to .410.

Contrary to what Randy said, the .410 is an effective gun hunting but it has to be tailored to a specific situations such as quail over dogs. I would not use one on chukar as they are just as likely to flush wild 25 yards from you, resulting in shots from 35 and up and that is not .410 range.

The .410 also requires very precise leads and a lot of practice to get proficient. If you want to learn to shoot and shoot it well get the skeet choke and live with the limitations, which do not include pheasants as even pen raised birds will run on you and flush wild.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is important to note that .410's often show much more choke per designation than do other gauges, in other words the manufacturers make them tighter than the nominal designation would lead one to believe. It is often the case with all smallbores. Apparently some feel the need to tighten up with a small bore rather than use a shot size appropriate to the bore.

People make the mistake of judging a shotgun's "power" by it's bore dameter rather than the largest size shot that bore can use effectively pattern density wise. A 12 bore 3/4 oz load is not more "powerful" than a 28's given the same choke, shot size and launch speed. Now a 12 will handle shot sizes larger than a 28 will pattern well and it's larger payload ability allows dense patterns of that larger shot. This is what allows greater range and killing ability on larger birds.

Time at the pattern board with a shotgun is just like time at the range with a rifle, one has to know what the paylod is doing and powder, primer and wad changes have the same effects on pattern that they do on bullets in metallic loading. Patterning is VERY important in reality instead it has a boring pointless rep. Would peop;e be happy with a rifle that threw it's bullet left or right high or low all the time? It's even more important with double barreled shotguns- just like double rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prewar 70:

This 76 year old was delighted to read that a Win. 42 is still around and in action! ( It was my first shotgun). I happen to agree with practically everybody. If you are bounden determined to use a 410 on pheasants, then at least make sure it's full choke. I agree with people who say the 410 isn't a pheasant gun to begin with. I was in upstate NY back in the days when pheasant and ruffed grouse were our staple game birds. Frankly,even at 14, I never thought about using a 410 on pheasants -so I didn't try. I was not yet a ruff hunter and I shot at native quail with a 410 (without any particular success) (Yeah, in those days we had quail in NY) I hate to drag the discussion down - but I used my 410 principally in shooting rats on the town dump. I saw a teenager run off a straight 25 at 16 yard trap with a 410 just a few years ago so I appreciate that the 410 is a true shotgun - it's just that I (and my peers at the time) never thought of it as a game shotgun. I really think it goes just "a bridge too far". (beyond the 28 ga.)

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre-War70....If you are hunting over dogs that point, I would use the #-6 shot with Full choke.

Now if no dogs at your side, go with the full choke out passed 25 yards on pheasants, using #4-shot.

Grouse hunting go with the FULL CHOKE #5 or #6 shot.

Now a .410 is a mighty poor choice for pheasant or grouse in the woods. Your better off with a 16 gauge or a 12 gauge #4's with a imp/mod choke over pointing dogs or a Mod/Full if using flushing dogs.
Regards....TONK

Posts: 60 | Location: Columbia, MO. | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is my first post here and I guess it's going to be a dandy. Unlike most of the people responding, I shoot a .410 on everything but waterfowl. In my opinion, you should shoot a full choke but understand that the really close birds will be difficult. Mainly I shoot dove and pheasant and have found there is only one load that works well: 1/2 oz. of HARD #9s driven around 1200+ fps. If you use larger shot, you won't have a decent pattern and cannot kill birds consistantly.

Everyone knows that more shot in the air means a better chance of killing a bird so all are correct when they say bigger is better. With that in mind, I wonder how many shoot a 10 guage on upland birds? Not many. If I had my way everyone would shoot small guage shotguns on upland birds. We would have better hunters and fewer lost birds due to those one in a lifetime shots. Again, large shot in a .410 is a mistake. Shoot #9s in a target load that patterns and you can kill birds to 40 yards effectively.

Now fellas, have at me. Harry

Posts: 16 | Location: Bonita, California | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple pictures from up north, near Duluth. I used my wife's grandpa's Winchester model 37, 26" barrel, full choke. I only had # 6s but fully argee with you Holson, that as much lead as one can get in the air the better, so nothing larger than 7.5s. I couldn't believe how sparse the pattern was at 20 yards with 6 shot. Grandpa's gun never saw a lot of action and it sure was fun to use it. The grouse and pheasy tasted mighty good for dinner that night. Great way to kick off deer season. Please excuse the first picture, apparently I was attempting my best just out of prison look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Hook:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Hook:
I generally agree with most of what has been said here. I don't shoot a 410 but I have a good friend who shoots a recently manufactured Browning pump with choke tubes. The full choke tube was in the gun when he bought it and so far that is all he has ever used. I have tried to get him to pattern the gun with no luck.

It is a pretty tight patterning gun with 7.5 size shot. He primarily hunts doves and brings them down from as far out as most of the people using 12s do. Most people over estimate range by about 50 percent. Wes usually has his limit before the people shooting 12s do on most days because he is a very good shot and shoots a lot, reloading most of his shells unless he needs new hulls.

There are several other people we shoot with who shoot 28s exclusively. There isn't much difference in the take in the first season between any of them. But during the second season, when the birds fly higher and are more heavily feathered due to the colder weather, the 28s are bringing down birds the 410 isn't.

All of these small bore shooters favor size 7.5 shot. Wes is still hitting the doves he is shooting at. You can hear the shot hit and see feathers being knocked out of the birds being hit. They just don't always come down with the 410. They don't always come down with any gauge that I know of but the 410 is more limiting than the other gauges.

Pheasants I don't know as much about. As far as I know, Wes has never used his 410 to hunt pheasants with. But I have seen him drop high flying crows like a rock with his 11/16 oz size 7.5 loads out of his 410. A bigger bird will get more pellet strikes than a dove or quail, but I believe that I would still go with a full choke on pheasants shooting a 410...Rusty

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Prewar70: Here are a few others taken with my .410. It is a kick in the butt to hunt these birds with a sub gauge gun when most will laugh at you or call you a liar when they hear what you're shooting. The first time I shot a .410 on pheasants was when I forgot my own shotgun on opening day 20 years ago and had to borrow something. That something was a .410 and I had a great day! Keep it up. Others may shoot more birds but few will have as much fun (or have nearly the bragging rights over drinks that night). http://onfinite.com/libraries/1059914/ea9.jpg

Posts: 16 | Location: Bonita, California | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been hunting pheasants and grouse for 45 years or so, and I've seen pheasants absorb quite a bit of shot and put a lot of distance between them and the hunter. I saw a ringneck shot broadside at about 30 yards with 1 oz of #6 from a 16 ga (irrelevent), fold up in the air, fall into a plowed field, get up and shake and begin to run. If not for the dedicated retrieving and tracking skills of a German Wirehaired Pointer he would have made it to a nice, quiet place to die.

I've shot pheasants with both a 28 ga and a .410 on preserves but I don't think there's any place for a .410 when hunting wild pheasants. To me, crippling a noble bird is not ethical hunting...Tom

Posts: 31 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
tpdtom: Then i guess you should kill them instead of crippling them eh. dancing To each his own. Harry

posted Hide Post
i love my .410, i've used it on everything (trap 16yds., grouse, pheasant, quail cottontail rabbit and snowshoe hare). I've found out the hard way 2 1/2" shells are useless, unless skeet shooting and don't ever use shot larger than #6, not near enough pellets. The only way to go is full choke!!!!! I've shot a lot of critters and there is nothing wrong with the .410 at modest distances.

Posts: 76 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot grouse or pheasant with a four-ten but if I was determined to do so I would opt for the pattern density of a full choke. That is assuming you get uniform patterns of a sufficientlt effective load in that particular gun. Many do not. A four-ten is always marginal for birds and I only consider it adequate under optimal conditions.

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote