Find
Notify
Tools

Who shoots a 28 for upland?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I've had mostly 16s and 20s for upland work over the years, but thinking I should fool with a 28 while there is still time. If you have field experience with a 28, tell me about it if you would.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've shot the 28 for years (20+) for quail and dove here in TX and for dove and pigeon in Argentina. To me, its the perfect gauge for the birds I shoot.

I have used a Parker reproduction for quail and an AyA or Piotti sxs for dove and pigeon. All three guns perform very well and have held up under tough conditions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of 28 at smaller game. On bigger upland game they seem to hit hard with a shorter shot string but maybe that's my imagination. If you are reasonably good shot you might not notice the difference between the 20 and 28. Go for it. Great reason to buy a new gun

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say it depends on what you intend to shoot and under what conditions. For example, I know a guy who uses it with great success on pen-raised pheasants, which are generally flushed at close to very close quarters and take longer to get up to speed than do wild birds. He does not use a 28 for wild birds, which generally flush at greater range and fly like, well, a wild bird.

I've used a 28 my last two times in Argentina. It worked fine for dove, parakeets and common perdiz, not so much for pigeon or for the giant perdiz.

In any event, it's a fun little cartridge to shoot and can be found in some really sweet little guns.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 28 ga as my main upland hunting gun for many years. Walked up birds on pheasant, partridge and grouse. No problems what-so-ever! I even pack an old 28 gauge hammer gun with 2 1/2" chambers that I have to roll my own special loads for. Really adds a challenge to the hunt. Lots of satisfaction in filling a limit with the little guys like this!
It shoots as fast, and hits as hard, just a much smaller shot string to work with.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Bill, I had a 28 gauge several years ago and while I did not use it that much, it was a real pleasure to shoot and was great on shooting Mourning Doves.

From my experience with that one and watching others use them, they seem to produce a lot more kill than a person would think.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do it! Great gun for dove and quail over dogs. Absolutely the best for high volume dove shooting in Argentina. I don't think you give up much vs. a 20 gauge.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a 28 for dove and some game farm pheasant.

I don't think it's as forgiving as a 20, but works well, as long as you don't try and make it a bigger gun than it was intended to be. My patterning shows #6 shot can be a little spotty, but if 7.5 will do for your range and bird size, it will work admirably.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I’ve kind of developed my opinion of what I think are the perfect gauges for “levels” of upland birds. For turkeys it’s a 12. For wild pheasants it’s a 16. For dove/quail it’s a 20. Perfect means that it will handle all shots I can reasonably make based on my shooting skills. Going light means I give up something. That’s not always a bad thing. I shot a 28 in Argentina last year and loved it. I could tell a slight difference shooting it side by side with a 20, but the 28 shot softer and I enjoyed taking my time and picking my shots. 28’s are also normally a joy to carry.

I never need a solid reason to buy a new gun so I’m in the market right now for a long barreled 28 o/u to hopefully take to Argentina. I say get a 28 and enjoy and learn what it’s capable of.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen.

beer

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I personally have no use for it. I don't need to Elmer Keith them with a 10 gauge, but man I like more lead in the air than that. On wild Huns that flush at 40 yards and fly 200 miles an hour past your head, I like to have a little more power and mass.

I used to shoot every gauge at fowl, well everything but the 10. I personally only have use for a 12 bore. If you want a nice load for recoil shoot 2.5 inch shells in your light double.

I am on the look out over here for a five pound round body 2.5 inch 12 Brit side by side or Merkel over under to get fitted to me.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I enjoy upland hunting with my 28, you should try it.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 28 gauge double for California and Gambel quail. It's also a great dove and planted pheasant gun. Very effective with loads that pattern well in your gun.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I ran into a guy over at shotgun world who uses Apex TSS tungsten 1 3/8 ounce 28 gauge turkey loads and a Hastings .520 choke, and he kills turkeys cold out to 50 yards. I could not believe the incredible patterns. Sure adds to the versatility.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe if I was shooting an 870. Never would I use such a load in either of my 28s. Recipe for a cracked stock in my opinion.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Time for a larger gauge rather than such an overload.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I used to own a pair of 28 gauge over and unders, a 410 over and under, multiple 16 and 20 over and unders and I just like having more power and more shot.

If someone wants to hunt with a smaller bore, I have no problem with that. It can be fun, but I am handicapped enough without adding something else to the stack of my disabilities.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have used a 28ga for dove and quail starting back in the 1970s. I had been shooting Rem 1100s in the four skeet gauges and, on a whim, took my 28 out hunting. With a skeet choke, I held my shooting to close ranges only. Success and fun with this light gun made me a believer. My current gun, O/U with 28" bbls, screw-in chokes, and light weight, makes it a dream for these old legs when out hunting.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 28 for years and agree with others here... great gauge for dove and quail. A bit short on the payload when hunting wild pheasant in November or December IMO, but deadly on the smaller upland birds and a joy to carry and shoot!

Just a note, like the 16 gauge, ammo a bit more expensive than the 12 and 20 but not as bad as the .410!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I ran into a guy over at shotgun world who uses Apex TSS tungsten 1 3/8 ounce 28 gauge turkey loads and a Hastings .520 choke, and he kills turkeys cold out to 50 yards. I could not believe the incredible patterns. Sure adds to the versatility.

Some of the deadest decoyed mallards I have seen where using my 28 ga and some hevi shot, much more lethal than any steel load of any gauge.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is your skill level with a shotgun. If you are shooting a lot and are fairly confident with your abilities the 28 ga is a hammer. If not, maybe it's not for you. Several years back when I was more proficient with a shotgun and didn't have the Africa Disease, I took my 28 ga to South Dakota and killed 12 rooster's with 13 shot's. One of them took two shots, he was a long passing shot. Today, no way would I take the 28 ga on such a hunt, in fact I have been taking a 12 for several years in row. I agree that once you get to bigger tougher game the 20 has a slight nod. On a wild texas quail hunt a few years back I shot the 28 on the first day, but switched to 20 for the last two days and connected more.

The 28 is a fine gauge and if you haven't tried one, you really need one, you'll be hooked.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 28 on quail and pheasants. I struggled on the quail but took a good number of pheasants. Could not tell the difference on the pheasants from my 20.

Give it a go!

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great gun! Get a 28 o/u and don't look back. Snowshoe, woodcock and pheasant.....yes! Ruffies.....uhhhhh, maybe not. rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't go wrong trying a good 28. Try to get one that is a bit heavier than average. Otherwise, the light wt of the 28 will likely screw up your swing when you go back to a 12.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had mostly 16s and 20s for upland work over the years, but thinking I should fool with a 28 while there is still time. If you have field experience with a 28, tell me about it if you would.

Hunted lots of quail with a 28 guage o/u behind dogs. You can carry it all day and I can hit with it just about as good as anything else I shoot. Exception would be my 12 ga. Winchester 101 with skeet/skeet barrels that I used for dog trials.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My goto dove gun for many years. Back when I even killed a few ducks with one with no problems. Of late I have switched to 3/4 oz of shot in the 20. If you get a 28 get one build on a 28 ga. frame. The magic is in how well they carry and point.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I shot a bunch of grouse using a Berreta BL-4 20 gauge o/u choked skeet 1 and 2. Always wanted to try the 28 and I found an AYA s/s in a pawn shop at a great price. Love carrying around the smaller rounds in my game vest but I felt my hit percentage dropped with the 28 gauge. Spent extensive time on the skeet range shooting hunter skeet and proved to myself that the 28 gauge is not the equal of a 20 gauge. Both shotguns were fitted to me by Pat LaBoone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3. They do quite well on quail. Although on the days they flush further out, the 20 is better. However, when I take one to Argentina for high volume dove shooting, my hit percentage drops. That is hit not kill.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spent quite a bit of time at the Skeet Range shooting registered skeet. My average is best in the 28, in fact I shoot it for 20 ga event's sometime's. I do agree that it may seem inferior on wild bird's, but more than likely in our head's. It's not for everyone but sure is fun on small bird's like dove, decoyed Ring Neck Dove and the like. I have more than likely shot more 28 ga than anything else in my shotgunning. Hope to shoot a bunch more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gale Johnson:
quote:

Some of the deadest decoyed mallards I have seen where using my 28 ga and some hevi shot, much more lethal than any steel load of any gauge.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is your skill level with a shotgun. If you are shooting a lot and are fairly confident with your abilities the 28 ga is a hammer. If not, maybe it's not for you. Several years back when I was more proficient with a shotgun and didn't have the Africa Disease, I took my 28 ga to South Dakota and killed 12 rooster's with 13 shot's. One of them took two shots, he was a long passing shot. Today, no way would I take the 28 ga on such a hunt, in fact I have been taking a 12 for several years in row. I agree that once you get to bigger tougher game the 20 has a slight nod. On a wild texas quail hunt a few years back I shot the 28 on the first day, but switched to 20 for the last two days and connected more.

The 28 is a fine gauge and if you haven't tried one, you really need one, you'll be hooked.

I give up. What is the "Africa Disease"? If it involves missing, I may have caught it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I took a couple dozen Teal with the 3/4oz #6 loads from Hevi-Shot.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot a lot of blue quail and White Wing dove in far west texas with a Browning O/U in the past..I love a 28, I found it as easy to hit with as a 20 ga. and they feel so good. I gave that gun to one of my sons..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, I won't be all that far from that country in Alamogordo.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I've used a 28 for dove, quail, ducks and pheasant. I try not to shoot going away pheasant more than 20 yards out. I've also noticed once you get your fps over 1250 you get a lot less cripples.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill
Go South to war road 11, it crosses to Ft. Bliss out of El Paso, lots of quail in that desert or used to be..as was the sandhill country behind Los Cruces..A blue quail with a Jalapeno inside and wrapped in a bacon strip, cooked over mesquite coals is to die for..but only eat a couple of the Jalapenos, toss the rest, trust me on that Billy..10 or 12 Jalapenos takes its toll the next day so don't bend over to tie your shoelaces.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own every gauge except for a 10. I can't tell you how long its been since I shot one of my 12's or the old Sweet 16. I tried an O/U 20 for a box or so shooting doves last fall but found it "cumbersome" compared to my 28's.

So, practically all I shoot these days are 28's -- but I'll hasten to add that nearly all of my hunting is for mourning and whitewing doves (and the occasional pigeon-sized collared dove exotic that is all over Texas these days.)

My experience over the last 25 years is that I can drop doves more consistently with a 28 than a larger gauge due to its mild manner and quick-pointing nature. As far as range, if you put it in the right place the bird will fall about as far away as with any other gauge.

Win 101, Browning Citori, Beretta BL, Huglu SxS, and a Miroku Charles Daly Baby Frame are what I and my son and grandsons mostly hunt with. But this year I'm going to give a beautiful SKB 800 O/U with its intricate engraving and drop-dead gorgeous wood a try. Birds should fall from the sky just from seeing such a beautiful little shotgun. And if I get tired of shooting just two shots at a time and want to go for a triple, well, my little Franchi AL48 28-gauge autoloader might make an appearance if I can stand to wag around its burdensome 5 pounds.

And not that it is the difference between affluence and poverty, but using just a pinch of powder and a thimble full of shot, the 28 is cheap to reload.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 28 gauge Benelli Legacy and have shot a boat load of pheasant and huns with it. Use it as my turkey gun also. I also have a model 1100 that I shoot but it is much heavier than the Benelli.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, I went with the Weatherby SA-08 gas gun in 28. May try an over and under later. Eager to get this little beauty to the range. Managed to get a couple of boxes of Kent Bismuth #6 stashed while Cabelas had them on sale just in case I get a crack at teal down the road.

Ray, I will take your jalapeño advice to heart!
hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
We have a small dove field where we limit ourselves to a small number of shooters and 28ga shotguns. To me, there's a major difference in 20 and 28. Much less forgiving, so you better be on the birds.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

WOW! 1 3/8 oz? I have been using my 28 with the dog's shooting pigeons. 3/4 oz loads. Use #6 shot but going to go to #7 1/2 I think. 6's don't measure well in my loader. Not sure why someone would take a 28 and up the load beyond heavy 20ga loads. For me the beauty of the 28 is it's light weight and very low recoil. 1 3/8h loads will not help recoil at all!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, try #6&1/2 or #7 nickel plated shot. You can get it from BP products. Hodgdon has a 7/8 oz. load using BP wads and Lil Gun powder. It is awesome on pigeons and ring neck doves. If you can't find the load or the shot PM me.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote