THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    September 1st. is almost here..............

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

September 1st. is almost here..............
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
September 1st. opening day of Dove season. Got my dove guns out and cleaned just waiting. Did some practicing on the sporting clays range. I'll start off opening morning with my O/U .410. As the birds get leery I'll move up in gauge to 28 to 20 to 12. Anyone else looking forward to Dove season? Lawdog

[ 08-29-2003, 04:36: Message edited by: Lawdog_Gary ]

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. Gettig ready for it. Rob

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog_Gary:
I'll start off opening morning with my O/U .410. As the birds get leery I'll move up in gauge to 28 to 20 to 12.

Move up? You mean you don't think you'll get your limit with the .410 and will have to use a blunderbuss 28 to finish out? Or, lord forbid, have to go to a virtual punt gun 20 gauge? [Big Grin]

I just love the small gauges for doves. The .410 is something of a challenge, but I'm not sure that a 28 won't keep up with any of the larger gauges in percentage hits. My 12 gauges rarely leave the cabinet anymore except for an occasional pheasant hunt (but I do find them useful for trimming out-of-reach dead limbs on some of my live oaks).

Good luck opening day!

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm counting down the seconds. I'm looking forward to a great time no matter how many shells I will go through. I'm going to try some new spots as the last few years have been lean at the dinner table. It should be eventfull one way or the other.

-tlfw

Posts: 57 | Location: Houston Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: 15 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Lawdog:

Whats the outlook for doves in your area? If I remember you are from California.

I have been out scouting here in Arizona, and have found several desert spots with loads of birds. One flight we found is over 300 yards wide, and looks like it will last 2 hours.

I am going to shoot the 410 opening day also, like last year I will let you know how I do.

Take Care

Jerry Eden

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Jerry, where are you in AZ?

I'm heading down to Yuma for opening day with my dad, but after that will be looking around the Phoenix area.

I think I've found some spots on US 60 east of PHX.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Eden,

Looks good. Lots of dove here in California but we really haven't had any real cold/wet days or nights the send these fair weather birds south. Hope it stays that way. Keep me informed on how you do this year. Ever notice how when starting out bird hunting as a kid they give you a .410, a 28 gauge or maybe a 20 gauge and you can't wait until you get big enough for a 12 gauge. Then you get older you start using smaller gauges until you're back to a .410 again. The only reason I go to a larger gauge is when the birds start to get leery and the range increases. Luck and lots of ammo to all dove hunters. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
jlheard:

I am from Mesa. Most of the shooting I do, at least opeing week, is around the Casa Grande Area.

As to US 60, there are birds out towards Apache Junction, but they are building homes so fast in the East Valley you have to watch where you are.

Try east and south of Apache Junction.

Good Luck

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a question for the dove hunters. This is my first year shooting doves, and I want to know which choke to use? I have a Modified, Full, and IC. What would you suggest? I shoot a 12 gauge.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in North Central Texas it has rained right before season for several years and this year is no exception. The doves were mostly natives and lots of them until a week ago and now they are scattered and moving away from the rain. If it warms back up Monday the shooting will be pretty good and I am going Tuesday and Wednesday down in central Texas so should be pretty good shooting by then. Quite a few white wings in that area also. I had to really work for my limits last year and hopefully this year will be better. I start out using my 20 guage and switch over to 12
if the birds start flying higher! Last year the guys I hunted with shot about a half a box of shells per bird taken and that was without any beer but we always have a lot of fun! Yes I'm ready to go! BLR7 [Big Grin]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Murftj:
Improved cylinder is OK on jump shots up close
or hunting over a waterhole where birds are flying in close. If you are hunting fields over
feed use Modified. I wouldn't use full choke unless the only shots were high flyers and even then the occasional close in birds will get torn up pretty bad. I use modified all around for doves
and quail. It only takes one #8 pellet in the head or the breast to bring them down. Remember to lead your birds and keep swinging! Good luck BLR7! [Cool]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
murftj,

Modified choke will do the job. Good all around choke. Only thing I would add is have plenty of shells. Lawdog

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
I will usually use IC or SK. Full is way too tight for my shooting. Mod is fine, but not my favorite, especially for early season shooting.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote