Find
Notify
Tools

Home from a Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted
I went out to MN & WI to hunt grouse and Woodcock with a friend. This was my first time for woodcock. They were fun shooting with his Setters. Lots of leaves on the trees still so we moved a good number of grouse but few shot opportunities. I liked picking the spots to shoot the woodcock through the cover.

Then on to SD for 10 days. I always love hunting pheasants since it is good dog work and lots of birds to see. I hunted with a few different friends who came out from Idaho and Wyoming. Weather was pretty good with only one day with a rain postponement. They have been getting lote of moisture for the past month so the harvest really hadn't started yet. We only hunt with the dogs and don't do the drives through standing crops which is a common practice there. We hunt weed patches and river banks with good cover.

Each year I take my friend Bill who is a disabled veteran hunting for something. In the past we have hunted Sheep, Moose, Elk, etc. This year was the pheasants. He was really proud to take home his birds.
My dogs work hard. You just have to love bird dogs!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice trip.....lots of birds for the dogs to work. Next year I'll do the same with my 10 mo GWP.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Good for you taking a disabled vet out hunting.