Find
Notify
Tools

Canard au vin illustrated
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
I owe one of the boys here a recipe. It's not my stuffed bird one, but this one makes for fine groceries just the same.

Start with:

Progress to this

Add these

Render this

To do this

Add celery, carrot and onion to make this

Add this (or any other similar bottle of inexpensive red)

To get this

Then do this

And this

At this

No pics, but I use the excess stock from the skillet and the mushroom juice

Add this

Whip up a few of these for color while waiting and having a Scotch or three

Keep simmering. And watch that rice.

Couple to couple and a half hours later, you get this

Then this. Voila! Dinner is served. Wild duck braised in red wine, with sides of shiitake mushrooms, brussels sprouts and rice cooked in reduced duck and vegetable stock. Add a bottle of Cab Sauv, Shiraz or whatever you like, and enjoy yourself. I had planned to take a couple of shots of the meat falling off the bone, but after the first wonderful bite and enjoying watching my wife tearing into her bird I totally forgot about the picture taking. So you'll have to take my word that the duck was moist, tender and absolutely delicious prepared this way. BTW as you can see I normally serve half a duck pp, but a hungry man can put away a whole mallard/black duck no problem. Or two teal. Smiler The birds will be so tender you can very easily cut them in two with an ordinary pair of kitchen scissors, BTW.

There is no documentation of post dinner bliss with the wife, but trust me when I say that desert was goooooooooood. Wink

And eventually this

Regular duck season closed in MA 30 minutes ago. Seaducks keep open until the 30th. Any guesses what I'll be doing for the next couple weeks?

Cheers, guys.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG, I believe you just put the old Iron Chef in the shade.

I doubt it can be done better.

We've been doing third season Winter blue darters for supper. And for something different tonight, Gulf shrimp gumbo.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
uhhhh....where can we find this restaurant? Looks like devine vittles to me Big Grin

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That does it.....I'm changing the accommodations in AZ to an efficiency fully stocked with pots 'n' pans. dancing

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the words, gents. For me, properly preparing and really enjoying the wonderful bounty of what I take in the field brings all of my hunting and fishing endeavors full circle.

Norton, I'm not sure the management will appreciate me spit roasting a whole javelina on the motel balcony, but then there's only one way to find out! Big Grin

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
And I always thought you Yankees had no good food up there....

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
That is awesome....you just put Iron-chef to shame clap

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector:
That is awesome....you just put Iron-chef to shame clap

Maybe we should have an AR bird cook off of our own. We could call it...

Tungsten/Hevi-shot/Steel Chef. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent post! Thanks for taking the time to make photos!

STIGSmiler

Posts: 87 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is an evil post - i'm on my january diet and you go show pictures like this CRYBABY

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I was perfectly full and content until I saw that, NOW, I'm hungry!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
I was perfectly full and content until I saw that, NOW, I'm hungry!

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Looking good Kamo !

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Dang Kamo - hope you cooked that thing some more before you went to eatin on it...maybe next time try droppin it in a iron skillet for a while with a couple dollops of lard.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Dang Kamo - hope you cooked that thing some more before you went to eatin on it...maybe next time try droppin it in a iron skillet for a while with a couple dollops of lard.

hilbily Same recipe but interpreted by boys from N and S, says I. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
great recipe... something more for me to try come duck hunting in africa in may Smiler

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapmonkey:
great recipe... something more for me to try come duck hunting in africa in may Smiler

Always interested to hear about waterfowling in other places. Be sure to post a report and pics after your hunt, please!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG is the only person who has ever made wild duck look tasty to me. (I had a deprived childhood and adulthood -a mother who refused to cook game and camp cooks in Canada who seemed to never have heard of basting)) Smiler I hate to encourage him to keep posting such pictures - he is a Boston Red Sox fan (on top of everything) and praising Bostonians only encourages them! (KG- maybe you should open a restaurant)Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Wild ducks are wonderful groceries, mister. Pity no one showed you some simple recipes and cooking techniques. I've been told by lots of guys that they don't like duck. I tell them that they've never been fed duck by someone that knows how to properly prepare and cook them.

Frankly, when done right, it just doesn't get much better. But then what do you know: you think the Yankees are cool. Mad Big Grin

Here's a pile of duck cooked in one of the most popular ways. Breast meat chunks butterflied and stuffed with jalepeno and a slice of onion (or whatever you like), wrapped in a half strip of bacon. Marinated in whatever you like for 30 minutes then right onto a hot grill. Cook for 6-8 minutes, turning once. Served medium rare, they're to die for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KG

Many thanks for the recipe. I forgot to mention that being a simple man, I like good food simply prepared - like ruff breasts in a fry pan with a white wine. I have eaten duck and enjoyed it always - when it was domestic and I ate it in a restaurant. If you would open a restaurant, I would promise to buy at least a table for 9 on opening night. (I know a number of Yankee fans,enough for a team by coincidence, who would be willing to risk eating food prepared by a Bosox fan) Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recipe ,ill use it for the crestones ducks.Here my son and a friend cooking hogs and hares just taken -in two different steel pots.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Thanks for the recipe ,ill use it for the crestones ducks.Here my son and a friend cooking hogs and hares just taken -in two different steel pots.

tu2 Wow. Iki's getting to be a very solid young man. It's bizarre but in a way I almost feel like I've 'watched him grow' over the past years through pictures you've posted. You should be, and am sure are very proud, amigo.

Maybe some day we'll kill some ducks together. You ever make it up here, I'll put you on birds.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear friend ,yes seeing photos of him here makes me feeling that i getting old....I can make you to hunt a lot of ducks ,its my favourite sport .
On another matter last week end IKY wwas second among 50 shooters in an IPSC shotgun-pistol tournament,making me proud .He shoots and hunts every day spending a lot in ammo Mad

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote