New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grouse and Woodcock in Maine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody have a recommendation of a guided grouse and woodcock outfitter in Maine?

Posts: 172 | Location: Jackson, New Jersey | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Babu Ji,

Give Leens lodge a call.

www.leenslodge.com

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally would go to michigan or wisconsin, went to maine twice first and last . So called guide just would give directions from lodge which was all we needed but we soon found there were very few grouse there and never flew a woodcock. (There was supposed to double figure flushes a day. after 3 days got a refund and went home. Just hate to see someone else with a ruined hunt.
quote:
Originally posted by Shikaribabu:
Does anybody have a recommendation of a guided grouse and woodcock outfitter in Maine?

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Last fall I went to Danforth, Maine and stayed at Wilderness Escape Lodge with my Dad, Brother-in-law, and a great friend. Randy Flannery owns and operates the outfit. You can give him a call at 207-448-3238 and talk with him. www.wildernessescape.com is the website. We took our own dogs and just stayed at the lodge. We met his bird guides and they seemed ok to me. But we hunted on our own.

We probably jumped in the teens up to 20 grouse a day and several woodcock, maybe as many on some days.

Overall I had a great trip and enjoyed the place and Randy's operation. I would go again but will probably hunt Wisconsin this fall if I can. I like to see different country though.

God Bless, Louis
If you would like to talk to me about the hunt you can call me at 336-657-1244.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd rent a camp/cabin in Aroostook county, buy a gazetteer and hit the paper company lands. Maine upland is an easy self guided hunt. I've stayed at Umcolcus sporting camps(http://www.umcolcus.com/ )in Oxbow a few times. Oxbow is in a great partridge area.

Libby camps (http://www.libbycamps.com/) has a good reputation and offers several nice and remote outpost camps.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Moosehead lake. You can stay at one of the fishing camps very cheap...20-30$ per night. There are millions of acres of timberland to hunt. Drive along the logging roads and look for the clear cuts that are about 5-7 years old. You will find many grouse and woodcock.

Fishing the Moosehead is great too.

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote