THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Looking to buy a Browning 12Ga Shotgun for a X-mas Gift

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to buy a Browning 12Ga Shotgun for a X-mas Gift
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted
Looking to buy my dad a Maxus Mossy Oak Duck Blind 12Ga or Silver Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity 12Ga for my dad. Any suggestions between the 2 guns. I do not duck hunt,I know he likes Browning and these 2 guns are newer models? Any thoughts?
Thanks

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Maxus and Silver. Both are phenomenal. The Maxus is the result of one hundred years of Browning Auto Technology and I would go with it!

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Looks like I will be buying the Maxus this weekend.

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4500 rounds through my 28" 3.5" Maxus so I am starting to get a good feel for it now. It is easy to clean and maintain even for your typical careless gunner, so that is an important factor for at least 99% of all hunters. The gun has not had any issues and there have been no recalls on it which certainly distinguishes it from a new auto Remington. It is well put together in weight and balance which reflects a gun designed by shooters not marketing people. Mine is the all black stalker model. I bought it for wet weather hunting. It has been on 15 local duck hunts and a couple pheasant hunts plus lots and lots of clays. It will be going to Adak, Alaska in January for Eiders. I have heard some typist-hunters on other forums mention trouble with the durability of the Duck Blind camo. There is no durability problems with the black rustproof coating. There is absolutely no need for a camo shotgun or camoflage generally for that matter, so unless camo makes him feel good or fashionable, I would save the couple hundred bucks and buy him a 1000 clay pigeon shells to practice and get to know his new shotgun. If you buy him $100 worth of shells when you buy the shotgun before the end of the year. Browning will send you $100 bucks.
He also needs to Point of Impact test it, assuming he has a solid gun mount. (A big assumption) The gun comes with shims to adjust drop and cast. It also comes with extensions to lengthen pull. It uses Invector Plus choke tubes. It comes ready to mount a sling if he wants to use one, so that is handy. Your Dad's physical shape may indicate a different gun may fit him better but without the info I can't help. Good luck, sounds like your a better son than most.

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
SG, thanks for the detailed response. The info helps alot. I am going to get the gun tomorrow and if he does not like it, he can exchange it.
I don't know about the better son or not.
Thanks again,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have about 100 rounds through my Maxus now. I got the black 3" model. I was worried with the light weight that it would kick with high speed 3" duck loads but have had no problem with recoil. I'm shooting better this year than I can remember. I bought a light mod after market choke from Cabela's and am shooting a bunch of left over shells from last year along with some of the new Remington HyperVelocity #2. It feeds every shell fine so far. I like the built-in sling studs, and how easy it is to take apart and clean. I would highly recommend it for your dad.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 2 different "MaxI"

A 3 1/2" field model with a 28" barrel and a Sporting model with a 3" chamber and a 30" barrel.

I competed with the field model for over a year since it was the first model they developed. We actually took the first 4 prototypes to Argentina to proof them. The field model with the 3 1/2" chamber is simply amazing. It will cycle 3/4 oz. (yes, .75 ounce loads) without a problem. I have alternated 3 1/2" goose loads with 1 oz. target loads and 1 1/4 oz pheasant loads in the magazine and then pulled the trigger as fast as I can.

It will cycle them all even when all jumbled up like that in the magazine

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rcamuglia,

Maybe you could answer a question for me and the others. How do you take apart the magazine to clean and lube properly? Its not in the manual and just spraying it as designed is in no way proper cleaning. I must be missing something because they got everything else done right so why not the magazine?