Find
Notify
Tools

Dove Calls
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted
I am curious if any of you have any experience using a dove call and if they even actually work. I have never tried one but I am thinking of maybe getting one if I hear some good feedback. To me they seem like they are made to attract more hunter than dove but I could be wrong that happens very often.

Posts: 145 | Location: Mesquite, TX. | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
They work. Doves tend to sit in trees near feeding areas waiting for the Sun to start setting so the UV rays aren't so strong (like at noon). Calling will get the attention of any Dove within earshot, and they hear well. I mess with them in my back yard all the time. Use a few decoys if you want them to zero into your hide. It will not call them from long distance if they cannot hear it. Be patient, they may sit and watch for a little while before coming in.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
You want to kill some doves? Get yourself a mojo dove decoy and place 2-3 other decoys around it. That thing will bring them in on a rope. I've seen doves fly over a field, make it through the gauntlet, and then see my decoy on an adjacent field and nose dive right to me.

It will even decoy in pigeons, too! thumb

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
I do use the standard decoys and I am planning on getting some kind of spinning wing decoy (wither it is the Mojo or the wind powered I haven’t decided yet) but I was just curious if a call made that much of a difference in the field. I am always looking for that little edge to get them little jet fighters that much closer to me when I am chasing them. I always seem to have the fortune of never being in the right place at the right time when I am after dove. I will set up in what looks like a likely flyway and they seem to all fly just a ways down from where I am so I will move to where they all are flying and they start flying where I originally was. I seem to spend more time chasing them when it seems I need to make them chase me so I am going to get me a call and see if that don’t bring them that much closer.

Posts: 145 | Location: Mesquite, TX. | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
Mojo Great! Wind powered worthless! IMHO YMMV

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Citori! Mojo dove should be illegal!! Okay, not really, but they do work. Gander Mountain has them on sale, I bought my 3rd one, you really only need 1 though. First time I used, at least 90 percent of the doves crossing a 50 acre field circled back to the Mojo. The only problem is that if you wait too long the doves will land right next to Mojo! I just bought 2 of the wind powered ones for the heck of it, more to give my 78 year old Dad something else to mess with! Get Mojo! Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKIE2000:
I need to make them chase me so I am going to get me a call and see if that don’t bring them that much closer.

Don't know about the call making them chase you, but I can assure you the Mojo will bring 'em in plenty close enough!

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
The call has been ordered and is in the mail, and I will be going to pick up a Mojo this weekend to be ready for the Monday hunt. Thanks for all of the advice.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt!! I wish I was heading afield on Monday, but we are expecting our first child next week, so no opening day for this guy!

Good luck!!

Graybird

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mojo works great, but there is a flapper that when used with a Mojo makes your shooting even better. Seems to me that, especially after opening day, the Mojo attracts them and the flapper makes them want to sit down. Just watching them is fun, they love the flapper, but it doesn't attract doves from as far a the Mojo so the two together works better than either one alone.

My eight year old sone did pretty well last year. I attribute it to the practice we did, but also to the dekes bringing the doves down and slowing them too.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
Well the call seemed to work about 50% of the time. I managed to turn a few that flew by just out of range and get them to come back for a visit. I also know that the mojo worked very nicely i didn’t see near the number of birds that I was hoping for but there were several that if I would have seen them any later would have landed on my decoy. I also had a small hawk decide to have a go at my mojo. That was a pretty funny sight. It came in at full speed getting ready to strike and when it got about 5 feet away I think that it realized something wasn’t quite right with it and it started back pedaling. When it finally stopped itself it was only about six inches above the decoy and it just hovered above it for a few seconds staring and then it just flew off slowly looking back as to say “what the hell was that thingâ€. Me and my buddy had a good laugh about that for the rest of the afternoon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me and my son the Mojo/flapper combo worked great. Got my eight year old some slow moving doves to shoot and if we wer'nt paying attention, some to flush out of the sunflowers.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Frankie,

how did things work out?

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
This weekend went much better than last. I took my brother in law and his buddy out hunting Sunday at my friends house southeast of Dallas and that didn’t go so hot we only got 2 birds in the morning. We saw several but they were just not flying in any set place and the decoys and the call had zero affect. We were also fairly limited on where we could shoot because there was houses all around us so it was hard to get a decent shot off. Then a friend of mine called me and asked if I wanted to with him out to his deer lease southwest of Fort Worth and do some dove hunting. I asked him if he had seen many dove out there yet this year he said that there are more than you could ever imagine. Of course I have heard that before but this guy isn’t generally one to exaggerate so I said ok I am in but I have my brother in law and his friend with me and he said that is fine they are welcome to come too because there were more than enough birds to go around, so off we went. We got there about 5 in the afternoon and as we pulled up to field we were to hunt I could see some birds flying around not a huge amount but a pretty good bit so that got my hopes up. I got my dog unloaded and the guns ready and we went to set up. The field we were hunting was about 50 acres and was completely full of wild sunflowers. As I walked to where I was setting up the whole field just erupted with birds flying up from the ground for as far as I could see and I was so amazed that I didn’t even think to shoot at one of them. It must be similar to what Argentina looks like. We set up and within about 30 minutes me and my buddy had about 15 or 20 between us and I had to go put my dog up because he was getting to hot and was exhausted hunting for all the birds. Then the rest of the afternoon we just had to pick off the close ones because we were scared of loosing them in the tall weeds. It was probably the best day of hunting that I have had in a long time and he said that he will go back in maybe two weeks. My friend said that hopefully we will start to get some cool weather and that will really push some birds into the area. I can’t wait!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
maybe i am spoiled but it seems to me that if you need decoys and calls to get a limit of doves, you need a better place to hunt.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
maybe i am spoiled but it seems to me that if you need decoys and calls to get a limit of doves, you need a better place to hunt.

Naw, decoys just make the limit come a bit faster. Besides, if this were the case, then why would duck hunters need duck decoys? It is really just a new concept for doves.

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
where i hunt there are a lot more doves than ducks. besides, ducks won't come to dove decoys!! dancing

One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
I do wish that I had a place that was good enough that all I had to do was sit in the shade and pick off the birds as they few by, but with what is normally the case with my limited funds I have to make the best of what I have to work with. That is a cheap place to hunt with not that great of a population of birds so I have to try and pull as many as I can within range.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I went out to the hunt club yesterday to sight in a couple new varmint rifles and one of the guys was heading over to a field to hunt a few doves. He said come on and join me. Well, my answer was I didn't have a shotgun, to which the club manager said get in the gun safe, pick out a gun and go knock down some doves. He got out of his chair walked over to a cabinet and handed me a box of shells. So, I went.

I took out 11 doves, which I thought wasn't too bad considering I was using a borrowed gun and ammo. I sat by a couple of old snag trees the doves liked to sit in while the other guy walked around the edges of the field with his three labs. So, I owe quite a bit to him for keeping the doves stirred up.

So, today I went back out with my gun and the ole mojo dove decoy, and sat in the same field by myself. Took out 10 more today in about an hour. Once those things locked onto the decoy, they came in on a rope!! It was great to see them bank and come in with wings cupping and everything, much like an old greenhead would do.

I'm 100% sold on the mojo dove!!

Graybird

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you are lucky. our first season is 15 days and went out Sept 15. wouldn't you know, i have more doves around my house and in my pasture than i did during the season.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
you are lucky. our first season is 15 days and went out Sept 15. wouldn't you know, i have more doves around my house and in my pasture than i did during the season.

Man, ain't that the way it always goes?!!

Graybird