Find
Notify
Tools

New Zealand Bird Trophies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted
Took these little while ago on the South Island. Very friendly people and the whole country is just absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.

Starting from top (in clockwise direction):
- Black Swan
- Pacific Black Duck
- Pair of Paradise Shelduck (Bird with white head is the female, other is the male)
- Pukeko (Purple Swam Hen)
- Australasian Shoveler (New Zealand Shoveler)

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I allways get jealous of your pictures. I really need to step up my hunting trips.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics.

One of my most memorable waterfowl shoots ever was in NZ. Ducks, geese and swans.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Just awesome, as usual. Smiler

Thanks, as always, Oz. You live the dream some of we bird hunters dream of: the endless waterfowl season!

Can you give any details as far as the hunts, please? Also, are all of the importable?

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@Patricio
Get them done sooner than later...the way things are going red tape is escalating for importation. Traveling with firearms internationally is not easy either. As much as I like to shoot with my own firearms, these days I am opting for renting firearms locally for the hunt.

@larryshores
Thanks...NZ is such a great destination.

@Kamo Gari
Glad you enjoyed the birds. Yes, all of the birds in the pic are importable. NZ is fantastic. They make it very easy for foreign hunters to bring their personal firearms. Paperwork is usually handled ahead of time so there are no surprises. Police at the airport is very efficient and paperwork is very organized.

Plenty big game outfitters (Red Stag, Chamois, Himalayan Tahr) also offer bird hunts, so shop around and check for USA references. Bird hunts are usually 5 days in length and will give you plenty of opportunities to collect all species, also you can do some high volume mallard shooting which are considered a pest species. Try to go in June/July which will be winter time over there.

South Island has better variety of native New Zealand birds. Although big game hunting is a bit better in the North Island. It is a very beautiful country. English speaking friendly people. Fishing is fantastic as well. One could easily retire there Smiler

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice looking birds and some outstanding taxidermy as well.

Jim

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston and Seguin, Texas | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The black swan is fantastic....getting that white plumage out is superb as opposed to a swimming mount where the white is covered. The contrast is excellent

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup....what they said....cool stuff.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding mounts.

Interesting to note that the Grey (pacific black) is actually what we would term a Grallard. Its a cross bred between grey and a mallard which is more common here than finding a pure grey now days. You can tell by the pale plumage, size and orange feet. Only 2% of grey's are considered pure now, so they are actually a rarer bird than the majority of fully protected duck and teal species here.

Posts: 4608 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thank you, as always, for the sharing of our shared passion, and as much for the solid information you provide here, Collector.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are there upland bird hunting?

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, glad you liked the birds. That is just the small part of the experience. The actual trip down there, the people, the scenery is wonderful.

@Norseman,
There is "some" upland bird hunting in North Island for non-native species like Ring-necked Pheasants, Chukar, Grey Partridge, Bobwhite Quail, California Quail, Merriam Turkey. But I would not recommend NZ for upland.

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Some pics....

Beautiful New Zealand Alps

There was a lot of snow in many places during the hunt.

A mature pair of Paradise Shelducks.

Farm where we stayed.

Hunting area

Looking for ponds at higher elevation.

Found a nice pond.

And a nice stag...he was only couple of yards away.

Saw a Himalayan Tahr...they are an introduced species from Asia and are doing quite well at high elevations.

Black Swan....NZ is the only place in the world where you can legally hunt this species.

We came across this huge reservoir of a hydro-electric dam. It was full of birds.

Rush hour...South Island style. Merino famous for their wool.

Mallards by the thousands.

Some nasty weather

Pair of Purple Swamp Hens getting out of dodge city.

Our guides retriever.

A sweet honey hole.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Way cool. Thanks again for the wonderful shots, and taking us along, so to speak.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We shot Canada Geese over decoys at Lake Tekapo in August ............ the morning after our wedding at the Church of the Good Shepherd.

Prettiest church I've ever seen. Overlooks Lake Tekapo. Google search it.......you'll agree with me.

Great morning shooting. First time I had shot them. Need to do a whole lot more of that.

The new bride is still on about it.......but what can I say I offered to take her.... but she wouldn't come because of the cold !!!!!

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Absolutely fabulous taxidermy and photos of the NZ countryside and animals.

Agree with shankspony that the pure Grey duck is quite rare now, more likely to come across pure Greys on the Westcoast of the South Island. Shot a few down in South Westland earlier this month on the opening weekend of the duck season. The aggressive mallards are breeding out the Greys in many areas. Greys also decoy much easier than Mallards so tend to get shot out quicker in some areas.

The old swampys (Native Pukeko)are quite good game birds to shoot although are not fast flyers. Fun to shoot on farm land where they will hide out in stands of trees and can be flushed out with beaters, a poor mans pheasant shoot with a difference, cook a puk with a boot and when the boot is soft, eat it and throw out the puk. Boy they are tough and I don't know of anyone who actually eats them.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
One of my friends lives in NZ and offers fair chase guided big game hunts in the lowlands and Alp's, fishes for trout on the lakes but never mentions duck hunting. He does however say the varmint hunting is phenomenal. Great pics as per usual collector. Did you export your birds or have them mounted in NZ? We're been sorting out exporting for Australia (waterfowl) and it seems it is coming to fruition. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFULL TROPHIES NEW ZEALAND IS ON MY WISH LIST .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote