Notify
Tools

Which O/U barrel first?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted
Hi Guys,
When bird hunting with an O/U is there an accepted or standard practice as to which barrel should fire first? I currently have it set up to fire the bottom barrel first but was wondering if there is any good reason to do otherwise? What says the AR brain trust?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot the lower barrel first. It lifts slightly less in recoil allowing you to get off your second shot a little quicker.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Agree with the above; in bird hunting as in skeet, conventional wisdom has always recommended firing the lower barrel first.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Always bottom barrel first on an O/U...you will get on the second bird fraction of a second faster.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, I've always fired the top barrel first.....and I believe I am most accurate with my O/Us......should I switch????? Confused

Worked well today on a ruffie and 2 ringnecks.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it has to do alot with how your chokes are set up, most of the time I shoot the open choke first(bottom) but there have been a few times tha I've use the full first and IC second, I have fixed chokes on my O/U's.

375Win

After the first shot the rest are just noise

Posts: 66 | Location: Wetside, WA | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Funny, I've always fired the top barrel first.....and I believe I am most accurate with my O/Us......should I switch????? Confused

Worked well today on a ruffie and 2 ringnecks.

Heck no, if it ain't broke.....
Like the others though, I have always been told lower barrel first was the "correct" method.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the one w/the correct choke for the shot!

seriously, lower barrel first

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the lower barrel has less recoil. I was told that at the trap range a couple years ago. But frankly I wouldn't have known it otherwise.

Actually, at trap I seem to break a few more I think using the upper barrel (you can assume same chokes in both). I don't know why. Could that have something to do with why most use single barrel guns for trap singles? Could there be a very, very slight difference in how the patterns are centered?

As for bird hunting, I've used extensively on ducks, geese, pheasants, dove and quail since the '70s several O/Us, mainly the Browning and Ithaca both in 12 ga. Also used others.

And I honestly didn't know and couldn't tell there was a difference in which barrel first based on recoil. As far as I could ever tell the speed at which you can get off the second barrel is fast enough that it's functionally the same as an autoloader no matter which is fired first.

My selection of which barrel is usually based on what choke for hunting I want to use first, but frequently I use identical chokes. For instance, I prefer full/full for doves and imp cyl in both barrels for steel shot on geese and ducks. I have tried a skeet choke instead of imp cyl on ducks just to see if there's a difference, but the effect was the same.

So which barrel do I shoot first when they have the same choke? I honestly don't pay much attention to that, although sometimes I go back and forth just because the gun allows it, but for no particular reason. Superstition maybe. I miss an easy one? Well, I'll just change barrels for the next..

Anywho, assuming same chokes in both, I don't think whatever difference there is in recoil is enough for the average shooter to notice. So I wouldn't worry about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was always taught to select the barrel for the shot by the way it was choked

Driven birds taken out front using choked barrel first and less choked as it was closer or above you
same as for going away birds
less choke first and tighter choked as it got further away
and for high birds it makes no difference as to which one first
as a rule the bird will be above you or as near dam it for the first shot and most likely above you or slightly behind for the second shot, so either barrel should suffice
If it's in range it will be killable with either barrel anyway
Just I was taught that method and find it works for me
If you don't hav a selective trigger and also fixed chokes it makes no matter which barrel first, just shoot with in your capability as that what counts

Posts: 238 | Location: coventry, England | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
If the gun is choked differently then by all means utilize the choke that is appropriate for the first shot being presented.

Now lets assume that both chokes are IC/IC or Mod/Mod or SK/SK...then does it matter which barrel to shoot first ? Yes, it does.

Answer is always shoot the bottom barrel first on an Over/Under shotgun. Reason is that you will get less vertical muzzle jump from the bottom barrel (physics of weight of the top barrel has a lot to do with it) and you will be able to acquire the second target much faster.

So say you have a crossing shot presentation of two doves coming from right to left...gun is choked IC/IC...you shoot the first dove using the bottom barrel and immediately get on the second dove fraction of a second faster than had you used the top barrel on the first shot.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guys. I just changed the chokes on my Browning to accommodate the bottom barrel first. Got 2 pheasant too!

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Answer is always shoot the bottom barrel first on an Over/Under shotgun. Reason is that you will get less vertical muzzle jump from the bottom barrel (physics of weight of the top barrel has a lot to do with it) and you will be able to acquire the second target much faster.

I always thought it was because the lower barrel was set lowerin the action thus keeping recoil more 'in-line' with the main line of the stock. FOr example, in un-singles, I dont think the rib weights as much as a barrel. I dunno, just asking as I have never shot/handled one.

And for the record, under first, choked Light Mod (UNder) /IC or IC/IC only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id like to take this opportunity to point out to everybody that these forums are not just about running our mouths. Every now and then, despite outselves, we actually learn something. My father was a long time member of the Forrest City Gun Club, Savannah Ga, USA, and a shooter of some ability and I spent much of my very young youth, running around FCGC while he shot. By the time I had gotten of age, we had moved and he was out of the skeet game. After he went to the "Great Skeet Range in the Sky", I got his Winchester 101 O/U and though I can barely hit a bull in the fanny, I enjoy holding it and shooting it enormously. Not knowing anymore than I know about the real details of target/wing shooting, I could not figure out why the bottom barrel was set to fire first [both barrels are set at SKEET]. Now, thanks to you guys, I have some idea and Im sitting here smiling, as its one more thing my old man has taught me after the fact. Thank you very much for helping me find that answer

Posts: 53 | Location: Virginia and Georgia | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
I agree with the reasons regarding recoil, BUT I shoot upper first because I have noticed no difference in recoil rise. On the other hand, I can reload that 1 spent shell more quickly when it is the upper barrel. Since most shots are singles, I found that reloading is much quicker and I miss fewer second opportunities (late flushing birds in a covey) by shooting upper first and reloading that shell as opposed to shooting lower first and having to open the action further (which takes longer). Why do they always flush as I am reloading?? Just a practical real life observation of my personal hunting scenarios.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think it would depend if your gun has mobile chokes or fixed chokes, it is usual to shoot the open choke first (bottom barrel) followed by the top barrel, that is if the bird flies out from a point, but if its a passing bird that you have seen coming your way, it would depend on the distance from you when you shoot, you can choose either barrel depending on the choke required. Most guns with fixed chokes are more open on the bottom barrel,and good for up to 30 metre shots.

Posts: 5 | Location: brisbane Australia | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My only O/U has double triggers giving me instant choice of barrels. I select the barrel to fire based on what choke I think it will take to kill the bird.