New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mallard feeding call
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a call on the market that easily mimics a feeding mallard?

Thanks.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
I think Primos makes one...check out their website. If you are going with a guide service and feel like your calling skills are a bit rusty then perfectly ok to let the guide do all the calling.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit this but I don't know what the story is. I am going to some private island with clients. They go every year. I am not sure about the guides.

In the 80's I was reasonable at calling. That was a long time ago. I am looking for something easy to use just in case.

Thanks.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Not what you asked, but IMO, and some others, the feed call is fairly useless and highly overused. The only time that you really hear live ducks doing it is the high flyers who aren't stopping by.
Again, IMO, the single quack of the lonely hen is one of the most underused calls that there is. I think the same is true of the Drake's call. Both are exceedingly easy to mimic, and add a lot of realism to your spread, as this is what LIVE DUCKS actually do, and you have the added benefit of not sounding like the other 75 blinds that those ducks have already experienced. Good luck.
And hey, I could be wrong, but I've used the single quack and the drake as backup/confidence/finishing calls for a good while, and they flat out work, for me at least. If you look @ a good many of the duck call vids on youtube, especially those by my fellow Louisianians the Haydell brothers, and Phil Robertson, I think you'll find that they agree with me. One of the biggest differences between really good callers and average/poor callers is the amount and times that they call. The pros don't call all that much, but they make it count.

We should have a thread just on this.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it isn't the call that makes a feed call, but the caller. and the guys are 100% correct. it is a useless call. more ducks are scared away by callers and are ever attracted, so if you're not really really good at it this better to leave it alone

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
By far the easiest to use is the Yentzen single reed.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a hand held one that I used before I could do it with all my mouth calls. Sounds great.....but a waste of money. A few good sounding quacks just to get their attention......and if they want in they're coming.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the VERY rare exception of the "unbelievable" callers (Years ago, I hunted with a guy once who could and often did call SHOT ducks back to the same blind), most calls are overworked. The best call is setting up in a spot the ducks want to be in........

BTW ducks do use the "feeding" call when they're feeding but it is a low level sound and not intended to attract other ducks. I (who freely admit that my duck calling is just past the leading goats to water stage)(I also think to be a really good caller you have to have some degree of musical talent and I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but, like the old joke, all I've got to please with my singing is me Wink) use the feeding chuckle only as a last second "seller" as they make the last turn if they're nervous, and I intersperse it with lone quacks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
, I hunted with a guy once who could and often did call SHOT ducks back to the same blind),
I used to hunt with a guy who could even play songs on a duck call.

When calling dux he was so good, you couldn't tell whether a duck or someone calling.

He was a runner-up in the world champion contest at Stuttgart, and I think would have won, except in those contests they're calling for judges, not ducks...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also think to be a really good caller you have to have some degree of musical talent and I can't carry a tune in a bucket
I used to think that too, but it's apparently not true. The proof is in the fact that I can call ducks...