THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    So, how goes the season for the waterfowlers here?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, how goes the season for the waterfowlers here?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
Just getting a freeze. It's been fair to good, but as always, when the fresh water areas begin to freeze, it's game on in the salt. Seaducks have been strong, the puddlers getting better and the divers are in. God I love this time of year. Just wondering how are other folks doing.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness for Gadwalls. Averaging 3 per trip so far.

There is an occasional Mallard, Woodie or Teal.

Big freeze pushing in up North of here so maybe we will get some greenheads this week.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Not many birds yet. I am praying for bitter cold weather.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
So far, we're dead in GA - no water in the lakes where I normally hunt. Hope something changes soon.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although the season has been open for about a month the real season is just begining. So far there have been more ducks than usual, so I have my fingers crossed. Couple of mallards and blacks so far. What I want is a big freeze then some moderating temps for a few days.
After working Saturday I am off for the rest of December, bring em on!!!

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those who responded, and good luck to all! The cold snap that we've been having is a blessing, but if it continues for much longer, it could turn into a curse. It has to be pretty cold for extended periods for the salt marsh to freeze up, but if it does the pickings can get slim indeed. Usually if we get a lock-up it happens in January, but this year we may be looking at big ice.

So far this season, been getting into mallards, blacks, GW teal (mostly gone now) woodies (all gone now), widgeon (few), gaddies (few), buffies, goldeneye, mergies (all 3 flavors but we don't really go after them for obvious reasons), eider (common), scoter (3 flavors), oldsquaw, and canadas. A couple of scaup (greater) and a lone ringneck were taken by friends.

Anyway, cheers to all the waterfowlers here.

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Just checked a pond this afternoon for tomorrow morning (par 2 season opener); saw quite a few greenheads and 1 flock of gadwalls. Will report back tomorrow.

Of course we are thick with Canada's, but were thick with those all year here.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Seen on this mornings hunt:

Mallards
Gadwalls
Green Winged Teal
Ringnecks
Scaup

Canada Geese
Heard but not seen: Snow Geese (must be just passing through)

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Cap'n Kirk's and my morning went about like cable68s.

We started off with knocking down a couple of Green wings then had 5 drake (no hens) mallards that we didn't get a shot at. The mallards slid right behind our blind and lit about 50 yards off. How do they know?

5 Gadwalls teased us then three of them broke off and made the big mistake. One escaped but he was a little shakey.

Another half dozen Gadwalls were wanting in but the wind was such that to come in they were looking right into the blind. They passed over the blind three times then on the 4th pass I said lets shoot. That wasn't a good idea evidently as they all flew away.

Fog rolled in on the river so we picked up and moved to the big lake. One Bufflehead sacrificed himself to the great pleasure of my Chessie who enjoyed the long swim.

Then three Goldeneyes flew by unscathed as we dropped coffee cups and grabbed for shotguns. I must be getting slow.

A big flock of Canadians ignored my calls and sailed down about 1/4 mile down the lake.

There is snow and ice about 120 miles North of us but the ducks are staying in it. Sooner or later they have to come our way.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
One escaped but he was a little shakey.

I like it, and glad you got into some. An old Irishman I've hunted with, after missing would say things like 'a bloody shocking miss, that!', and if he winged one, would say, "I staggered him proper, but still the bastard made off!" God bless the watermen!

KG

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
The birds are still hung up just North and those fellas south of Kansas City have to be spankin them good.

Here is my view from the blind this morning. Full moon, no wind, bluebird sky....almost makes you want to sleep in.

Barely scratched out enough for lunch.

As it always happens - 8 or 9 mallards locked up just as the thought of biscuits and gravy was too strong to resist and the gun was back in the case.

Hope everyone else is into some .. except those SOB's just North of me. Its time for them to give somebody else a chance.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hang on, cold weather coming this week!!!!

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Field hunted geese this evening. 3 came into the decoys, only one got out.

Saw lots flying around, but after shooting hours ended. Going to use this field again soon in the morning. Also has a good puddle in the middle of it, so I'll set out some duck decoys in that for a mixed bag hunt.

Caleb

One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
I got my first banded bird over the weekend. Shot it in East Texas on 12/29 and it was banded in Alaska on 8/02/07. It was a hen greened-winged teal. I also got my first drake hooded meganser on new years eve. I think that it will have to go on the wall. Should make a nice mount.

Posts: 145 | Location: Mesquite, TX. | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a little beaver pond on my hunting club, went this afternoon to check it out. Just a few Woodies came in, one shot, one kill, one great retrieve by my four-legged buddy. (Lab) So, great afternoon!
Steve

Posts: 49 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
The birds are not patterning well around here. Scouted ponds Fri afternoon, saw lots on the pond hunted Sat mornin; not much there. Got one gadwall and one Canada.

We saw lots of geese working a nearby field both morning and evening. Hunted it this evening, hardly any birds.

Caleb

Picture of uplndjake
posted Hide Post
not too bad around here. lots of mergansers, buffleheads and old squaw. occasional blacks and mallards but they're real wary. goldeneye and widgeon if you hit right spots.good scoter and eiders out montauk way earlier in season. plenty of geese and brandt every time so far this year. haven't chased bluebill but they're out there.
Beautiful weather in salem cnty nj this past saturday, got in some quail and chukars and saw some of the finest dog work i've ever seen. the more time i spend with dogs the less time i have for people.

chance favors the prepared mind

Posts: 16 | Location: the island, ny | Registered: 11 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Its the last weekend - cold and clear - and we are still looking at nearly all Gadwalls.

Fortunately I had a pocket full of calls. Ice locked up four and the fifth one was on the edge when I pulled out.

I tried lake Taneycomo this morning. Everything shallow is frozen and they want to sail out to the open water.

Once there is a dozen or so out there newcomers just keep falling in with them. Its too cold for the fishermen I guess. Usually there are enough of them running around to keep the ducks from massing up out from shore.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

one of us
posted Hide Post
My bud who lives in Saint Marys County MD was wearing out the wood ducks in the early season, and the black ducks after the season split, but has only one goose so far. I joined him last weekend, which was the only time I could make it down. And in two mornings and two afternoons, I bagged two black ducks and one goose, and he got two black ducks. Since he had so many ducks already in the freezer, he gave me his two black ducks, which was mighty nice. If I knew how to post pictures here, I would do so...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Pretty bad where I hunt in the Mississippi delta.

Only 1 or 2 gadwalls per trip.

but I did have a great hunt last Tuesday.

Gadwalls actually working and landing in the middle of the decoys. Two guns, two limits by 0710.

First year I only killed gadwalls. Not a single mallard.

A lot of folks down here think the flyway is changing. Ducks seem to be coming in later and later every year.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
The last duck I shot was in South Africa last June. I didn't make it one day this year. However, the Snow's are packing into Arkansas by the tens of thousands and I'll be there very soon! LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Hunted more waterfowl this year than many years before.

Had my best day of the season yesterday, on the duck closer. 4.5 greenheads. The .5 is one that my hunting partner and I both hit virtually simultaneously. 9 mallards between the 2 of us.

Almost didn't go. 0455 pager goes off, alarm is set for 0500; ER has an appendix for me. I call the house supervisor to schedule it; if there are no cases, I'm doing the appendix, if there are cases I'm killin ducks. There's already a C-section and a hip pinning. Big Grin

Caleb

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
The last duck I shot was in South Africa last June. I didn't make it one day this year. However, the Snow's are packing into Arkansas by the tens of thousands and I'll be there very soon! LDK

from what I saw in late November, they were already there.

Caleb

One of Us
Picture of Andrew M.
posted Hide Post
We had an outstanding year in South Texas. Not the best in recent memory but close. I saw shot (well I shot some of them too...)over 500 ducks on about 35 hunts. More limit shoots than not and no skunks. Many more drakes than hens with less than 10 ringers or shovelers shot in that total. We were able to pick them most days!

Posts: 51 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote