THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Los Chanares (pictures added)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Los Chanares (pictures added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We just got back a week or so ago from my 10th (I think) trip to Los Chanares. I have shot a lot of birds in a lot of places. I have to say that I can see no good reason to hunt doves in Argentina anywhere other than Los Chanares.

Los Chanares has:

A great lodge.

Fantastic food.

Tons of birds.

Varied shots (not all over a field going the same way)

Great people that work there.

Short drives to the fields (5-10 minutes max)

I shot about 4,500 birds in 3 days and I cut the first and last shoots a bit short. I think my percentage was 82%. I would have to look.

Fantastic place. You can't go wrong.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
82% is downright awesome shooting. Congratulations.

Post some pics when you get a chance, would love to see them.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have an I phone with me at the moment. No idea how to post from this .

We have some awesome pictures. Mary Lynn took one where you can see the pellets hammering the dove.

I was even lucky enough to kill a peccary on the first day. Damn thing was eating dead doves off of the road less than 50 yards from where I just shot 500 times. Stalked close. Shot the big boar 4 times in rapid succession with a 20 ga with #8 shot. He was knocked down, mortally wounded I am sure. He got up and started running my way. Personally I think he was just trying to get away. At 3-4 yards, I hit him square between the eyes! Made a nice hole. Watch out Mark Sullivan! rotflmo

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I was even lucky enough to kill a peccary on the first day. Damn thing was eating dead doves off of the road less than 50 yards from where I just shot 500 times. Stalked close. Shot the big boar 4 times in rapid succession with a 20 ga with #8 shot. He was knocked down, mortally wounded I am sure. He got up and started running my way. Personally I think he was just trying to get away. At 3-4 yards, I hit him square between the eyes! Made a nice hole. Watch out Mark Sullivan! rotflmo

Can we expect a DVD with some catchy name soon? rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see:

Death by bird shot

Use enough #8's

Bash um with Benelli's

Swine at my feet

Choosing how it wants to die

Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny stuff there Larry. rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
82%. Dang that's good shooting. Good job all around.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry! Good shooting on the furred and feathered game!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
82%. Dang that's good shooting. Good job all around.

Naw, it ain't that hard when you shoot them out of trees! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try and post a few pictures today.

We have discussed the picture with the pellets hitting the dove. I calculated that the pellets would never have been captured on film if the timing of the shot had been even 1/100th of a second different.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
LC is the best. The proximity of the fields really sets LC apart.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the only place I know of where you could shoot a 1,000 birds a day sitting in the pool!

Posts: 48 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
After experiencing Los Chanares for myself I’m not sure it can get any better! Every aspect of this place is first class.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
We just got back a week or so ago from my 10th (I think) trip to Los Chanares. I have shot a lot of birds in a lot of places. I have to say that I can see no good reason to hunt doves in Argentina anywhere other than Los Chanares.

Los Chanares has:

A great lodge.

Fantastic food.

Tons of birds.

Varied shots (not all over a field going the same way)

Great people that work there.

Short drives to the fields (5-10 minutes max)

I shot about 4,500 birds in 3 days and I cut the first and last shoots a bit short. I think my percentage was 82%. I would have to look.

Fantastic place. You can't go wrong.

What Larry said, fantastic place for shooters and wives/girlfriends too!

Just got back a week ago, great bird shooting.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
tu2 Good shoot as usual Larry, congrats on the porky pig!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I finally got around to posting these pictures. If you make the dove picture larger, the pellets can be seen.

Sorry for the delay.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Do pigs fly??? Must be good shooting.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing tu2

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
82% is a very good shooting average; especially when you factor in the fatigue factor from jet lag and all that shooting.

I guess when the shells or so expensive you have to make every shot count.....

Jim

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston and Seguin, Texas | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made some calculations. If the picture with the pellets had been 1/100th of a second earlier or later, the pellets would not have been caught on film. Talk about timing.