THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    P. S. Olt and D. J. River Duck Calls

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P. S. Olt and D. J. River Duck Calls
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am looking for some of the calls that members of this forum recommended to me, such as the Olt #77 and #800 goose calls and DR-115 double reed duck calls.

It appears that P. S. Olt is (going?) out of business (not much left on their web page for sale), and D. J. River is now making the Olt calls using the original model numbers.

Are the D. J. River calls as good as the old Olt calls, or should I see if I can find the old Olt calls?

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Here is one on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/P-S-Olt-D-..._trksid=p3286.c0.m14

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Olt call on e-bay is not one I've ever seen before. My DR-115 is a wooden call. It's somewhat longer than many expensive ones you see today. Its mate is the goose call by Olt I mentioned in the other thread. The two look a good bit alike but with contrasting shades of wood. They make for an attractive pair together.

Be that as it may - I'd only get what you sound good on. The way I'd do that is to start by shopping around locally and actually trying different calls. If you have no calling experience then ask around for one that's easy for a beginner to blow. Frankly, I've found that some of the ones real experienced hunters sound so good on are not all that easy for a beginner. Others won't probably agree, but that was my experience many decades ago. I knew several guys who were expert at this. One helped me pick out calls and tried them for me. He sounded great (he could actually play songs on a duck call - essentially a one note instrument). But, I didn't sound so good.

I started with the Mallard-Tone, then went to another that had the reputation of being easy to use. Sure-Shot maybe? I wish someone could remember it. It was very widely known. It was narrow at both ends and wider in the middle with several grooves.

Anyway, another experienced hunter used the DR-115 and sounded really good. I tried his and liked the sound a lot (a nice full sound I'd call it), bought one and stuck with it. On big water, including rivers, lakes and flooded fields, you can really cut loose and let 'er rip, or you can throttle back, muffle it a bit and work close ducks (just don't blow it or any call downward in a steel pit...you get some bad vibes). You can even blow it softly in your home if the wife's in another part of the house...or practice in your car on the way to work.

I haven't shopped for calls in more than 30 years so I'm afraid I can't be much more help. But, instead of just ordering one blindly I'd try all available first personally and go from there.

Btw, are you musically inclined? I'm not and my personal theory is I might have learned the correct basic sound earlier if I had been more of a natural musician. Hard to tell about that...sometimes you see 8 year old kids who can make a perfect sound the first time they try!!

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
I started with the Mallard-Tone, then went to another that had the reputation of being easy to use. Sure-Shot maybe? I wish someone could remember it. It was very widely known. It was narrow at both ends and wider in the middle with several grooves.

I think this may be my trusty $6 walmart call. She is damned deadly. I've got others, but she's my favorite.
I agree totally with physically trying some calls before you buy. Not the biggest financial mistake you can make, but not all calls are realistic sounding, or easy to master. If you can sound decent in a couple minutes, winner winner duck dinner. If you can't hardly make it make a sound in a couple of minutes or the tone keeps breaking on you, pass. I think you've already gone through more trouble on research than anyone, I know. Saw this on Louisiana Sportsman. Good luck

Haydel Beginner Pack
Best bang for your buck is the Beginner pack from Haydel. You get an Instructional DVD, The DR-85 mallard hen call (easy to blow and extremly durable), the 5-in-1 whistle, and a lanyard for your calls. Can't beat it for $34.99.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

It appears that P. S. Olt may be out of business.

I came to the same conclusion about trying some different calls, and will pick up 3-4 of them for $16.00 to $30.00. The DR-85 comes with a DVD at Cabelas for $19.99.

Also, I'll go hang around some local Mallards here on the creek in Lititz, and really listen to them.

Actually, in middle school, I was first chair in flute (not really macho, actually my dad's choice), so the calls should not be too hard to pick up.

I'll go and scare away some ducks and geese this fall, and find out what I have to do to do it right.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Daniel77
I suspect you are thinking of the Yentzen. I used them for years. You are right. They are the most foolproof call ever invented. The only problem is that you can only go so far with them.

I just think that if anyone bought a better call such as Olt or RNT or Betts and practiced on the way to and from work every day especially with an instructional cd he would sound great by the coming duck season.

But then the city fellers may not be appreciated if they are using a call in one of them subway trains. Around here nobody pays much attention if you go by them with your truck windows down and blowin on a duck or turkey call.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got it under control. And you're going to the right teachers, the dux themselves. The best duck caller I ever hunted with learned by going out at night and sitting next to where wild mallards roosted up. He said he spent hours and hours doing nothing but just listening. And it paid off.

The first time I ever tried blowing a call was at an Arkansas duck club in probably the late '60s. I thought I knew what I was doing, and after the hunt asked the old timers how I sounded. They said they didn't hear me calling. I say "you must have...". And the answer, "no, we didn't hear any duck calling..but we did hear someone trying to call hogs..."

The lesson being, you never, never call in the presence of really good hunters unless you have reason to believe you won't embarass yourself. That comes with time and experience. The more you go, the faster you'll get there.

Fast forward a few decades and I can honestly say sometimes I manage alone (two callers usually do better than just one) to pull in what I refer to as the most difficult duck to call...a single greenhead who's just passing and not otherwise working.

Tell yourself he's not just an inanimate thing in the sky. Think hard that you're trying to carry on a personal conversation direct with him. As long as he's doing right (flying your way) no need to say much. It's only when he's going the wrong way that some nagging is in order. And the more he's messing up the worse you can scold him. Once he gets his head straight, tell him "that's better now" but never with more than a few soft quacks or when he's close a brief little gentle feeding chuckle. But be careful, not much.

Anyway, eventually he'll tire of making one pass after another and finally say OK, all right, have it your way...

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Daniel77
I suspect you are thinking of the Yentzen. I used them for years. You are right. They are the most foolproof call ever invented. The only problem is that you can only go so far with them.

I just think that if anyone bought a better call such as Olt or RNT or Betts and practiced on the way to and from work every day especially with an instructional cd he would sound great by the coming duck season.

But then the city fellers may not be appreciated if they are using a call in one of them subway trains. Around here nobody pays much attention if you go by them with your truck windows down and blowin on a duck or turkey call.

I've never heard of a Yentzen. Thanks for trying, but I'm 99% sure it is the call described. I was thinking it was an accu.... something, but when I read Sure Shot, a light came on. And the call is exactly as described. She's all wood, six inches long or so, and narrows at both ends, with some grooves. Great Call. I've seen a few just like her, but they don't sound quite the same. May also try Duck Commander calls. Mr. Phil sure sounds good on them, though I wouldn't say I prefer them. Best of luck.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Palmer,
I stand corrected. After seeing Shack's last post, I googled it. Mine looks very similar to the model 600. May not be a competition style call, but I wouldn't trade mine for gold. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Yentzen was the one. Sure-Shot's my crow and squirrel calls. Haven't heard the Yentzen name in many years. That was one excellent inexpensive product. Since the Walmart call looks the same, perhaps they bought out Yentzen and/or Sure-Shot.

As for the Olt DR-115 I looked at that current e-site and their version appears the same as mine. It probably is the same because it says it's walnut with cedar parts and mine is too. It even has a cedar odor..nice scent. The markings or graphics are a little different but that's just the new owner I guess. I didn't see a goose call that I think of as its companion...doesn't mean it's not there someplace...

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Yentzen calls go under the name sure shot. They made/make double and triple reed calls. They are easier to blow for the novice than a single reed. However, the Mallard-tone single reed is easy to learn the quack of a hen mallard. Learn that call as it's the basis for all puddle duck calls.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote