THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Feathers wanted for fly tying...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feathers wanted for fly tying...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted
Hey guys,
As a secondary hobby, I like to tie flies for fly fishing. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to save me some feathers. I tie with duck, goose, turkey, pheasant, grouse, partridge, starling, swan, etc... Tails, wings and body feathers all get used in some form or fashion.

At the stores they are usually on the dried skin but loose is also fine if you pluck your birds.

I don't have a lot of money but would love to tie you some flies, pay for shipping and the like. I know that most of these great looking feathers just get thrown away. I can give them a new life.

If I get too many, I have a lot of friends who tie also who would be very happy to receive some. I also teach free classes at times and can pass some along to younger tiers.
Thanks!!!

Thanks!!!

PM me for my shipping info and cell phone # in case you would like to talk about what type fish you need flies for. I don't know how to tie for everything but I am pretty good at most of the common stuff.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to have to wait for fall for me; will get aa bunch of pheasants and can save the complete hide if you want.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you let me know specifically which feathers from each species, I will send you bags of them come fall.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
PM me your address and I will see what I can do.

Do you use much fur in your flies?

I know Jesus and thanks for asking!
God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM your address to me, too.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies!
I PMed you guys. Here's some of the additional info I gave in my PMs

The feathers could be bagged by species (labeled if you would please) and I can sort them out from there.

Actually most of the feathers get used. Of most interest are the iridescent, barred and/or dotted feathers from ducks and other species. Pheasant tails and the long fibered feathers on their rumps. Goose wings. Turkey tail and wing feathers, the flat ended feathers they have on their bodies and the fluffy maraboo feathers.

Whole hides would be great as well if you are willing to deal with them. I think they should be able to be mailed quickly enough so that I can wash them and tack them out to dry. What do you think? If not, they would need to be dried before you ship them. Not a big deal to do but just more for your end. They get split up the belly and any fat removed then tacked to a board flat until they dry. Some guys rub Borax on the skin. That's the process.

Youngoutdoors,
As for other materials, I use quite a few furs and hairs as well. Muskrat, squirrel tails, rabbit, fox, beaver, badger, deer, moose, elk, buffalo, etc... I didn't ask about these as they are harder for people to process and I wasn't wanting to burden anyone.

Trez

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen....just watch out for the Migratory Bird parts (Ducks, Geese) you cannot sell them to Trez. However, you can gift them to Trez and he can reimburse you ONLY for the shipping.

Please make sure no one gets in trouble with the Feds !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Collector,
Thank you for the information. So there you have it... I am not offering to buy illegal animal parts. I am offering you a way to more fully utilize what you shoot.

No money will be given for these items (Migratory Bird parts (Ducks, Geese)). I cannot purchase them. However, I would love to have some given to me to tie flies with. I can pay for shipping. Let me know if you fly fish.

Thanks for keeping me out of trouble,

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
dinsdale,
As of today, you have some stock wood cut-offs and some other cool wood pieces on there way to you. Thanks for contacting me about the extra tying supplies you had. I'll make good use of them.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

one of us
Picture of b0400879
posted Hide Post
PM sent, Trez.
A pretty common specimen here, but would 2 halves of a broken Cooper's hawk wing feather tickle ya? (Pun intended). It was about 12" OAL before a mockingbird wrecked it ..... I saw the whole aerial encounter while @ work one day.

Posts: 86 | Location: Seychelles | Registered: 04 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
I don't think I can have feathers from a bird of prey since I am not Native American.

I'm not up on all the rules but that is something I've heard.

Anyone know for sure??

Thanks though,

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No birds of prey...EVER!

You can receive waterfowl as "gifted";the package should include the relevant info.

You also always need to be careful with taking any animal parts that maybe legal in one area,but illegal to have in yours.

Generally if its not in a typical fly material catalog; it may be not the greatest idea to have.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@Trez Hensley

In the States you are not even supposed to pick up dead birds of prey from the road. The laws are very very strict. Many people have gotten in trouble with USF&W on this because they picked up a dead raptor, although their intentions were good....you are just supposed to leave them be and let nature disintegrate the dead body. So please just say no to any raptor parts or feathers. It is not worth becoming a federal felon over something like this.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b0400879
posted Hide Post
Xlnt replies gents, thanks to all. The caveats are hereby noted - had no idea.
I live & work across the street (literally) from a federal NWR that also happens to double as a USN weapons depot. It's a large base, & sadly a deceased raptor (of several local/migrant varieties) is also a weekly occurrence there. 99% are tall vehicle/truck hits. On those rare occasions when they do somehow survive, the crippled bird will at times walk/crawl/flop across the very busy streets into the neighborhood (or work premesis) & then hole-up somewhere. It's a very sad situation & nature of the urban beast, so to speak. Unfortunately, it usually ends in a bad way for them - even if help arrives.

Will thus return said feather to the private property site where it was found (work).

Posts: 86 | Location: Seychelles | Registered: 04 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read in the Federal regulations that there is an exception to selling migratory bird parts for fly tying, and a couple other uses. It IS legal. That said, I shoot a lot of wood ducks. anyone interested?

link: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara...x_01/50cfr20_01.html

Commercial Use of Feathers 20.91

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Now that some of the seasons are opening up, once again, I'll ask you all to consider sending me some feathers. All the details of what I'm looking for are above and I'll PM you all my info if you would be willing to share with me. Let me know if you fly fish so I can tie up some flies for you.
Thanks to all...

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Trez,
I am heading to the farm in three weeks for Pheasant season. Driving to South Dakota this year so I will be bringing home some birds. If you PM me and tell me how you would like the feathers prepped I would be glad to send them to you. Tell me what you want and I will be happy to help you out.

john

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Gundog64
Thanks for thinking of me.

Just so you all know, I am still interested, so far except for "dinsdale's" extra materials from the fly shop that we traded some wood for, I've received no feathers from any of the hunters here. This is not to complain (and please don't read it as such), just to say that I am not overstocked yet and could still use some feathers....

I am aware that the seasons are just getting started.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Trez,

My chik-uns are molting now and I have been collecting feathers with the thought of trading them for some flies. I have saddle and hackle and can certainly pick up stiffer wing and tail feathers if needed. Many of the feathers are black with gold fringe but I also have buff and some barred birds.

Next year I'll have some feathers from my Temminck's males which should be gorgeous.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could have feathers faster if you had them for dinner...... dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Ann,
I'll PM you with my info. If you make up a list of some of the flies you would like to have, I'll see what I can do.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Getting nostalgic here....Years ago when I used to work in the Tea Plantations in South India I used to shoot Grey Jungle Fowl. The neck hackle feathers were my trophy which I would salt & dry and give to guest & visitors as memento of visiting the estate. I found out later that the whole neck hackle skin with feathers of the rooster were worth up to $50 - this was 20 years ago or more! I have one left somewhere in my keep-sake box. Quite beautiful feathers - dark grey with whitish spots and an orange gold spot inside that - and the size changes from tiny feathers with tiny spots near the ears & head to larger feathers with larger spots at the lowest part of the neck. I'll see if I can find it & post a photo.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you said, we are just underway. I need to know the EXACT feathers and from which birds. Pheasant, ducks, etc.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Norton,

First off anything you save for me would be appreciated even if you don't want to hassle with much, a couple of zip lock bags of barred wood duck, mallard or teal feathers would be great or a partridge or grouse hide, a few pheasant tails, that peacock that has been irritaing you..... A lot or a little is still appreciated. If you could label what birds the feathers are from, that would be helpful.

Thou some people use them, I haven't found much use for the larger wing feathers from ducks, I mostly use the breast/flank feathers and some of the smaller wing feathers. Of most interest are the irridescent, barred and/or dotted feathers from ducks and other species. Pheasant tails and the long fibered feathers on their rumps. Pheasant, Grouse, Partridge, and Starling body feathers are used for wet flies, Goose wings are used. Turkey tail and wing feathers, the flat ended feathers they have on their bodies and the fluffy maraboo feathers.

Whole hides would be great as well if you are willing to deal with them. They get split up the belly and any fat removed then tacked to a board flat until they dry. Some guys rub Borax on the skin. That's the process. It is easier to find the sizes of the feathers you want for specific flies when they are still on the skin.

On the skin is how you usually buy them at the fly shops. Either that or someone has sized them already and sell them by the bag in a specific size, although this adds to the cost per feather considerably.

Nakihunter,
Jungle Cock feathers are used on a lot of salmon and streamer flies to create the effect of eyes on the flies. They are still expensive/rare but I have bought them on E-bay before. They really are a unique looking feather. I've never seen the live bird. How big are they?

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
http://www.google.co.nz/images...wAA&biw=1024&bih=544

Trez

I googled and found this. Makes my heart race when I see the photos. They are the size of a bantam or just a bit bigger. They have a ventoloquial character to their call. Very shy and feeding in dense thickets. I did not have a dog so I used to hunt them on dusk as they are feeding before roosting and you can put them up sometimes. White meat like chicken. The younger birds are good eating.

It is absolutely amazing to look at the complex colours and patterns.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated!

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
John,
I received the feathers today. Thanks so much, I've been having a difficult week and getting a gift of such well handled feathers/skins put a smile on my face and made my day just a bit brighter. I should get some good use out of them.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

posted Hide Post
Down here in S. Texas we get tons of deer tails and parts left over after skinning and quartering. I too tie lots of flies and have become an avid fly fisherman. Particularly saltwater along the Texas Gulf Coast. I also duck hunt daily. I can put some stuff in a box for you if ya want!

Posts: 4 | Location: Corpus Christi, Tx | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
That would be great.
Thanks!

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
By the way, I'm still looking for some Turkey, Grouse, Partridge, Starling, barred wood duck, mallard, teal (any duck feathers), etc... So far none of these bird hunters have joined the feather collecting team Smiler

I do appreciate the help guys. It was great to get a couple of pheasant hides and a few other types of feathers from you all. One of our group here sent me some Maccaw feathers from his pet that were really nice. Happy days to all.....

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Ann,
I got your package of chicken feathers. Thanks,
I'll get some flies out to you.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hi Trez,

Thanks! Got the flies, so cool! You might want some feathers from these guys some day:

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trez, pm me your contact info i will be able to help you.

Larry

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks Larry! A PM is on its way.

Ann, those are some nice looking birds.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hay trez pm sent

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote