Find
Notify
Tools

Opening day mistake
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
I have made a lot of mistakes while hunting turkeys - but not today! Today the gobbler made the mistake. It was the second best show on the way in I have had.

I would much rather hunt a turkey than a penned up Kudu any day.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I have desire to shoot a gamebird that is not in flight, I do aknowledgethe skill needed to lure a trophy gobbler into range. But please sir, if you have never felt the adrenaline rush when sighting a trophy kudu bull up close, please do not try to compare shooting a turkey to kudu hunting.

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I apologize Greywing. You are right of course. I must have been caught up in the moment.

From the little I know about kudu (having only killed four), a kudu is a much more magnificent creature than the lowly turkey. For one thing the kudu is much bigger. I suppose that if a kudu were to develop a taste for feathers he could eat a turkey just for lunch.

For another, a kudu has much more dignity in accepting death. Whereas the lowly turkey will, upon receiving the shot, set about with the most undignified flopping, the kudu will probably, even when shot through the heart prance off with head held high and have enough consideration for the hunters sensitivity to die out of sight.

And one cannot ignore the fact that there is no comparable "book" on a turkey - at least, not that I am aware of. One has to go to the office watercooler unable to express the slightest idea of whether it was a bronze, silver or gold medal turkey.

Finally, there is the hunt itself. A turkey hunt does not begin to live up to the standards of a kudu hunt. This morning I had to wake myself, make my own coffee, eat some cold cereal, drive myself to the woods, carry my own gun, make my own plan etc.etc.

When the deed was done I had to stick my own hand into the bloody guts and pull them out, throw the 25 lb. bird over my shoulder and walk back to my jeep rather than having the jeep brought to me as they do in a proper kudu hunt.

Finally, I had to clean the bird myself and the poor wife will have to cook it. There is an incredible difference when I think it through.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Well done, sir!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greywing:
Although I have desire to shoot a gamebird that is not in flight, I do aknowledgethe skill needed to lure a trophy gobbler into range. But please sir, if you have never felt the adrenaline rush when sighting a trophy kudu bull up close, please do not try to compare shooting a turkey to kudu hunting.

Haven't you been listening? SIZE DOESN'T MATTER! rotflmo Besides, he said "penned up Kudu". That would be no different than shooting a penned up bison, deer, or... turkey!

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! This is exactly what hunting is about!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice broom!

I guess "penned up" isn't descriptive enough. Shooting zoo animals can't be much fun......but have at it if that's your thing.

Hmmmm......calling in a wary gobbler until he's strutting 15 yds. away......or having a pygmy track a PG animal and then shooting it from 150 yds. away........is one better or harder?

Point is......it's ALL good. Do what you like. All I know is I'll have my slate in hand next Monday at sunrise. Big Grin

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been playing with my wing bone call season opens for me tomorrow.

Good job.

I have killed them under 5 yards and over 40.if a legal bird gives me a killing shot I take.

Iam a firm beliver if you are going to kill something don't give them a chance.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Opening day +1 (pics are a few days old), this jake made a mistake too (the live bird shot is of a hen, obviously).

He had us working our arses off, sprinting over hill and dale to try to get ahead of him and call him in. He was with another jake and two hens when we first had him gobble back. After maybe an hour of pure fun trying to outwit the bird, we finally got in a good spot, and my buddy coaxed him away from his ladies.

When I slapped the trigger he was *running* at us, and as he crested a small dip right into our laps, I hammered him, but after my bowling him over I was shocked to see him immediately fly up into the air. I was like, "WHAT THE F!", and drew down on him as he beat wings. I know I had a definite kill shot on him flying, at around ten yards, but for some reason held fire.

As some of you know, I'd rather be waterfowling than just about anything in the world, and am a fairly decent wing shot. I KNOW I would have killed that bird on my second shot. Good thing I didn't because it was the *other* bird that flew, the one who I'd taken my eyes off to focus on the other bird. Mine was as dead as Elvis.

As he wasn't a big old mature tom, I think I might have chosen a penned kudu over this hunt. Nahhhhh. Wink

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bird Kamo. Sounds like a great hunt.

Hope you cook that bird instead of eating it half raw like you usually do.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Textbook hunt.....found this guy on a lonely ridge last night at dusk......gobbled at my hoot owl call about 10 times.....set up in his bedroom at 0430 this AM......he gobbled a few dozen times in the tree before flying down directly over one of my decoys at 0515....as soon as he cleared the brush......bang! Big Grin I passed on the kudu in the pen just before I shot him. rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Norton, You are absolutely right about "textbook". From getting him to gobble on the roost to the set up the next morning that was perfect. Good work.

And what makes it better is that the Kudu still survives!

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite the photographer KG is......but I kill more game. Wink rotflmo

Nice bog bird btw KG......was the Cap'n by your side?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal

Nice thread

tu2

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
In Missouri we can shoot two birds. It seems like when I take this "run and gun" shotgun the bird walks right in to me. Nevertheless I like to go prepared with a light shotgun.

In this case it is the first shotgun that I ever had. I got it in 1955 or so after my Dad abandonded it to me. He bought a new 870 Wingmaster and the old Model 124 Stevens knob action was mine. It looks like a semi-auto but its a bolt action with a knob handle.

It is for all practical purposes a single shot on turkeys because after the first shot you have to pull out the knob, eject the shell like a bolt action then slap the knob back in with the palm of your hand. By then it is too late to take another shot at a turkey.

It shoots 2 3/4" shells - low brass no. 6 - so I need to get in a comfortable distance for turkey hunting - I like 20 yards or close to it.

It has a hollow plastic stock and is super light. When I am in unfamiliar woods and know I might have to move a good bit this is the gun I like. But as often as not when I take this one instead of my Browning pump (see my picture at the beginning of the thread) they just walk in to me and I dont have to do any fancy manuvers.

Over the years I have treated this Stevens pretty rough. It often gets thrown on the floor in the back of my jeep or in the bed of my pickup but I can't seem to tear it up. I have never put it in a case. I cant even guess at the last time I cleaned it. I cut a notch in the stock for every turkey I shoot with it.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bird Palmer......the gun, er....well, it can double as a paddle at least. rotflmo That being said, one can't argue with it's undying utility.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:

Aw hell, Norty, get yer meds refilled already,

And BTW, I recognize that rock. A whole ten feet from your garage you took him at, huh, big white hunter? lol

Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:

Aw hell, Norty, get yer meds refilled already,

And BTW, I recognize that rock. A whole ten feet from your garage you took him at, huh, big white hunter? lol

Wink

Nah.....that's what happens when you hunt alone....as in without a guide.....there's no one to take pics so you have to come home and have the wife take 'em. wave

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nah.....that's what happens when you hunt alone....as in without a guide.....there's no one to take pics so you have to come home and have the wife take 'em. wave

The wife only takes pics? Sheeit. Mine will help me gut a moose, will catch her own fish and will lay into a striper or chinook's noggin with a club without blinking. Winner, winner, turkey dinner. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to bag this prize on the last day of the MA season yesterday......20 lbs. and 27" of beard.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Norton,

Thats what I regard as a real trophy!

In 37 years of hunting turkeys I have only killed one multi-beard.

And you dropped him on the last day - thats the right way to wrap up the season!

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

One of Us