Find
Notify
Tools

Best 28 ga dove load?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
I would be interested in the forum members' opinions as to the best load in a 28 gauge--brand, pellet size, etc--for doves.

I shoot a Franchi Veloce 28 ga with cylinder chokes--I am about an average shot, and will only hunt local birds here in Georgia on opening day.

I am leaning toward AA's in #8 (or #9 if I can find it) but they are not cheap.

I can of course order from Midway or Graf, etc, but the shipping really runs the price up.

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.

And while you're at it, same question for released quail--I'll be going to one of the nearby plantations at least once this year.

Thanks!

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

My dove reload is 3/4 oz of 7 1/2 magumum hard shot in Remington case over green dot. Works my semi-auto reliably and really folds'em!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, you definitely don't want any more than 3/4oz of shot.
The 28ga is a beautiful perfect shooter with 3/4oz, any more just ruins it and doesn't improve your patterns.

AA's in #8, 7.5's are an excellent choice. Remington STS in the same.

I've been shooting some B&P lately that I really like. (free shipping!!!) http://bandpusa.com/sub-gauge/...-rossa-28-gauge.html and it's just a wee bit cheaper than AA's. (with the free shipping it's a great deal)

Brian H
Longmont CO

Posts: 79 | Location: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When using factory I prefer Win. AA 3/4-8. Going to have to buy some this year as my cases are all about worn out.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been shooting some B&P lately that I really like. (free shipping!!!) http://bandpusa.com/sub-gauge/...-rossa-28-gauge.html and it's just a wee bit cheaper than AA's. (with the free shipping it's a great deal)

I took a look and you're right, with free shipping, those are about as inexpensive as I've found--and the velocity looks pretty good.

I may pop for a case--anyone else had experience with B&P?

Thanks, Brian!

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 80+ flats of these a few years back.

Good bullets!

Sadly, the best ever 28 ga. field load made, the Federal P-283 8, 3/4 oz HV "copper" #8s is no longer available.

These were developed years ago for South / West Texas Quail & Dove hunters and delivered withering patterns out of anything 28 ga.!

Shot them through my Purdeys, Parkers, Essencia, Beretta Jubilees, Perazzi MX-28 and my alltime favorite 11-48!

The B&Ps perform about like the AAs.

Also try the RST stuff - excellent!

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Well, I ordered the B&Ps, based on the recommendations above. $103.95 for a case, no shipping charges.

I noticed B&P also has an HV 28 gauge and it is a 15/16 oz load. The description is "Extra Rossa High Velocity 28 gauge, 2 3/4 inch, 15/16 oz. 1300 FPS MAX Dram Equiv. (250 rds per case)"

Has anyone had experience with these? They are about $15/case more than the standard load.

I hope these B&Ps work out. I went to the skeet range and shot a terrible round with Fiocchi's, then a decent round with some AA reloads from years ago. Don't know if it was me or the ammo, or both.

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, one more thing on B&P, i noticed in this month's issue of Gray's that there is a 10% off code in there for B&P

Brian H
Longmont CO

Posts: 79 | Location: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote