Find
Notify
Tools

Dove season is upon us
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted
Dove season opens up this Wednesday for us and many other states. Wanted to know who has plans?

We have a group of us hunting opening morning at a pretty sweet setup on our ranch. There is a large pan flanked by two dirt tanks with a line of trees for roosting at one end. Went out last week to check it out, it was flooded with birds. Will report how the shoot goes.

Hope that everyone has a great opener.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not us......they're protected 'round these parts.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The doves here did what they do every year. At first light, about sixty would rise from the grasses down the valley from us and perch themselves en-mass in a couple of old treetops, fly off after an hour, and return to the trees at dusk. We had hundreds flying by every day in flocks of one to three dozen or so. I could have sat outside for an hour in the morning or an hour in the evening and shot my limit. Then last week they left. Season starts on the 1st but all we see now is an occasional straggler or two. Happens every year.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We'll try them Wednesday afternoon in West Texas. You never know what you're going to find until the first day has come and gone. Great summer for nesting with ample rainfall, few storms, etc., but sometimes the birds just aren't there. Keeping our finger's crossed and our 28 gauge loaded.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Today was hot; 91 degrees and once the wind stopped around 5pm, the humidity soared. Took my limit of 15 in two hours but it took 32 shots...lol. Had to borrow a gun but at least it was a Beretta.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are thick down here in Texas. My buds mopped up this morning.

But I am not down there with them as I am still stuck in town. But soon. Very soon.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Pennsylvania, the first month is only afternoon shooting.

Yesterday was 98 degrees, and nothing was flying. I kicked some fields that five weeks ago were full of doves, now nothing.

Today is another day.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:

We have a group of us hunting opening morning at a pretty sweet setup on our ranch.

Funny that they're called morning doves, yet here in PA like Yale said, we're not allowed to start shooting at them until noon when the morning is officially over.

96 degrees here and nothing flying either. Plus, no silage corn has been harvested in my neck of the woods which always draws in the doves. I think they're just sitting on the walnut tree branches cooling themselves now. I hope things pick up soon, the temp drops to something more seasonal, as I'm itching to bag a few with my 16ga Rizzini. Dove stew, yummm!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Arizona,means one thing for sure Doves. It is easy to shoot a limit every time you go afield, if you do your scouting. Our limit is 10, and I have hunted 2 days and shot 20 for 31, with my 20 gauge. This morning 9/2, one of the guys wives, was done in 15 minutes with a 28 gauge.

This is the place to dove hunt,quail too! I hope some of you guys will give it a try.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
We also limited in under 2 hours. The dogs loved it. They were so excited when I starting putting on my camo. They were so happy to do all the retrieving for us.
Tomorrow, they get to do it again.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
9-3 Another day in the field here in Arizona, another limit! Big feed tomorrow, we'll eat 50-60.

Have a good one

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny that they're called morning doves, yet here in PA like Yale said, we're not allowed to start shooting at them until noon when the morning is officially over.

They may be called morning doves in PA (and it's a common mistake, hell I was in college before I knew that "bob war" was actually spelled "barbed wire" Wink), but their real common name is "mourning" because of the sound of their calls.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Went out again tonight. Myself and one buddy each shot a limit between 5 and 645. May go back again in morning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wanna hear the dove story of the day?

Last year we had sunflower and a great hunt. This year we decide to go it one better and do corn, in the hopes of doves first, then deer and if lucky even geese.

Well, the farmer plants the corn and makes one of the best stands of corn I've seen in a while considering how dry and hot the Summer. But we discover a week before the season it's not been cut. So we get busy and borrow a tractor and bush-hog down a bunch of it ourselves and go out there opening day.

And along comes guess who? The farmer. And he's really not very happy at what he sees.

Turns out to be a classic case of what somebody or other was talking about when he says, "what we got here is a failure to communicate".

We thought the farmer clearly understood the crop was to be cut and left to hunt over. The farmer on the other hand thinks this is HIS crop to be harvested and sold, all of it. That's why he didn't bother to cut any. What's more he's bringing in his equipment to cut the whole thing on Labor Day. We were planning on a big shoot then too.

To complete this picture, it turns out there were no doves anyway. Rumor has it they were heavy in this area of W. Tenn. two weeks ago, then packed up and left. Not even the few usual odd doves that hang around the place are present. Nothing. Zero.

We resisted the temptation (probably wisely) to joke with the farmer about it. "You mean YOU didn't cut this..we were wondering who did it". Or, "no question about it...it's crop circles...it was them aliens for sure.."

Anyways, you can bet next year's crop is going to be something the farmer's not interested in..

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Took about 20 minutes opening day to take my 15 bird limit. I have rarely shot as well. Our group has had some great hunts this year and my lab and GSP are getting plenty on retrieving work.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I would love to hunt there Perry someday i want to see your hunting traditions.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Limit (15) this afternoon.

Today was the next-to-last day of our first season, and I had been watching this field hoping the birds would find it and I could invite a dozen or so shooters. With the cooler weather this week, the birds headed south but I decided to give it a try by myself. I figured I might get a shot or two, but never imagined I'd shoot a limit. Now to find a place for tomorrow.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update in Pennsylvania from the last weekend of Saturday, the 25th. Shot at a couple of stragglers, but now nothing as of the last day on September 28th.

This was the weirdest season that I can remember. Too hot, and no birds, not just a dearth of mourning doves, but no starlings, blackbirds, etc. It will reopen on October 28th, and hopefully a few more doves will show up.

This summer, they were on my back window sill, and building nests in our house and garage gutters. They were everywhere, and then one week before the season opened, all gone.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote