New
Find
Notify
Tools

Several new guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ended up buying the last BF Standard Hunting pistol in 6.5 BRM. They are stopping building them because of supply issues and concentrating on their barrels. I picked it up from my FFL yesterday and mounted a Bushnell Trophy 2x6 scope on it. I had posted about a T/C Contender and how I might get back into them on another forum and someone offered me a great deal on a 14” .375 JDJ barrel and lots of brass so I bought it. Then found a frame with Pachmayer a gripper grip and forend, then got an offer of a 12” Gary Reeder .257 Raptor barrel, dies, brass and bullets so now I have a frame and 2 barrels enroute. I have also bought another Bushnell 2x6 and a Simmons 2x6 scope. I think I am set and hopefully can stop for a little while. I am set to go to Africa for a handgun hunt now

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bushnell ELITE handgun scope is for the big kickers. The Bushnell TROPHY is more for .44 & less. Look for old Simmons 2-7 scopes. That's what JD used to test his hand cannons. I've had several for 25+ years. Never a problem.
Get in touch if you need any help on the .375 JDJ. I've had mine since it was "invented". Killed African stuff & a charging brown bear. Good round for a Contender. Better stuff in Encores & XP-100s.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The Simmons may be a 2x7. It is an older Japanese scopes. Had a few phone calls with JD back in the early 80s as a teenager when I got my first Contender. He was high on those scopes. I will put the Bushnell on the .257 and check the Simmons. I may hit you up on the help, I appreciate it. Have several feelers out on going to Africa finally as soon as my wife has her medical issues resolved. Thinking 2024 or 2025. Lord knows I have asked a lot about Africa hunts on this forum. Plan is for my 3 top bucket list critters of Cape Buffalo, Eland and Kudu and any smaller animals as a bonus if my pocket book allows. I figure the .375 JDJ would work for a 1 gun safari

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any experience with the current Weaver Classic 2x6 scope? Good handgun scopes seem to be harder and harder to find

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I put a Burris 2-7 on my CVA Scout pistol in 6.5 Grendel, and like it so far. These are made in the Philippines.
I considered the Weaver, but I am not sure where they are made after Weaver quit making scopoes, then started making them again as part of a deal between Vista Outdoors and Natchez Shooters Supply.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I think I still have an old K6 El Paso Weaver that I could part with if you're interested.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I put a Burris 2-7 on my CVA Scout pistol in 6.5 Grendel, and like it so far. These are made in the Philippines.
I considered the Weaver, but I am not sure where they are made after Weaver quit making scopoes, then started making them again as part of a deal between Vista Outdoors and Natchez Shooters Supply.

Looks like China according to the search feature on Natchez’s site☹️

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up putting a Burris 2x7 on the .375 JDJ and the Bushnell Trophy 2x6 on the .257 Raptor. I am going to put the Simmons 2x7 on a .22 Mag barrel I have coming