ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Re: Cap and Ball revolver comparison questions

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cap and Ball revolver comparison questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted
The Uberti has an edge in quality over Pietta, but I would be happy with either as long as it has a steel frame, not brass.
I'm not sure who makes Traditions pistols, but most other Traditions weapons are made in Spain. I'm also not sure of their quality. Some probably like them just as some are happy with CVA muzzleloaders, but I'll be getting Uberti or Pietta. The Italian arms seem to be very good.
Jim

Posts: 152 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I really like the look and feel of the colt pistols (especially the 1861 navy) the Remington solid frames are much easier to maintain and seem to be slightly tougher (just in case you wanted to carry it into battle at sometime) but then the sights on the solid frames are a bit more consistent since they are stationary.

I'll have to agree the Uberti seem to have the best looking finishes, but then my Pietta 1851 .44 looked pretty darn nice for $99! It shoots terribly high at close range, but seems to be dialed in just right for about 50 yards (which is a long way for a round ball to go). The spout it came with says 30 grains, and I load with 777 and a pre-lubed wad.
If you want quality, I hear that the ones made by Cimarron are very nice, they use Uberti parts and finish them up very well.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What qualities are you looking for? Have you shot a Ruger Old Army at all? Of course, style wise it may look too modern for whatever application you have in mind. However, if you are looking for a cap and ball shooter they are pretty hard to top.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mark,

I'd really like to fix up the one I built when I was younger. In case I continue to fail in that, I'd like to get another .36 caliber pistol that I can use these components with.

I like the Ruger Old Army. But it's the wrong caliber, and about double the price of all these Italian clones. I understand they're very accurate, though.

Steve

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the stainless Remington Army models from Cabela's. I believe it was Uberti. It was very inaccurate. I slugged the bore and found it to be quite a bit larger in the center than at either end. After tapping the slug on inch into the muzzel it would then fall through the bore to the last one inch or so of the barrel and then would be tapped through that.
I returned the revolver to Cabela's (two years later)and they replaced it. Upon receiving the new weapon I again slugged the bore only to find exactly the same problem.
I sold the pistol and bought a Ruger Old Army and am overjoyed with the quality and accuracy of the revolver. The quality of the Italians is not comparable.
You get what you pay for. Spend a few dollars more and you will never wish you had.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote