New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thompson/Center inline advice needed.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello everyone. I have a .50 T/C Black Diamond I've hunted with for years. I've taken a bunch of game with it and it's crazy accurate with saboted Barnes triple-shoks and a 4x Leupold M8. However, it's a blued steel model and it's a PITA to take apart and clean and maintain rust free in the hot, humid environs of south Florida. So. I'm looking for a stainless inline with simpler/easier cleaning.

I like T/C and want to stick with a .50, but am at a loss to choose among their numerous offerings. Cost is not really an issue for me as this is a weapon I will use a lot. I'm taking it for granted that chances for an accurate gun will be equal with any model, so I'm thinking of cleanup, weather resistance and handling in more or less that order. Who can break down for me the strengths and weaknesses of the Omega, Triumph and Encore frontstuffers? Any input from hands-on experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
ENDEAVOR all the way...easiest cleaning, shooting and everything else, and will shoot 1" groups all day long...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much does the Endeavor weigh? It's hard to tell from T/C's website and they tend to understate the weights of their guns significantly. Anybody have a real world weight for one?

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
for one, the triump is not stainless steel so you can mark that one off the list

Posts: 24 | Location: Boncarbo,CO | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SS will buy you a little more time but they will rust if you wait to long especially in the climate you're in.I think the Savage would be your best bet.You can use regular gun powder in this one.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
In my expirience, inlines that break open like a shotgun are much easier to clean than ones that dont.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first thought was to send your Black Diamond to Charley (CAS II) here and have it Cerakoted. It would be cheaper and you would be able to use your proven performer.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Black Diamond. One trick to easier cleaning is to clean it upside down so you don't get crap in the trigger. It makes a huge difference. In regards to the question of which one? Encore if a TC is mandatory so it could be switched to other calibers. Omega would be the second choice. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote