Find
Notify
Tools

Found my Colorado Elk Rifle...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Well.... I went to a gun store I don't usually go to here locally....was looking for mounts and rings for my CVA Accura so that I could mount my Realtree APG HD 3-9x40 on it.

Of course, they didn't have the mounts or rings for the gun, so I am going to order online.

I was walking through the used gun section and noticed a Weatherby Custom Shop rifle in 460 Weatherby and held it envisioning trips to Africa sending 500gr bullets with 7,600lbft of energy toward Eland...when I looked over and noticed a stick under a rifle....IT WAS A MUZZLELOADER!

Pretty uncommon for someone in West Texas to have a 460 weatherby....but a muzzleloader is almost unheard of! Went over to it, and read .504 on it the barrel and knew exactly what it was.

The gun store owner said his friend traded it in on a pistol, and said it came with a box. I asked to see the box, and it was actually the original box! The original price tag was hidden in it, along with bullet tubes, White Muzzleloading cast bullet lube, White Rifle bullets, and an assortment of other neat White Muzzleloader stuff. I feel like 1994 all over again!

Opening up the box at the gun store I found all of the goodies that the guy traded in with the gun...and I got em all for free with the gun, including the White Rifle Rings and mounts!

So I did what any real muzzleloader enthusiast on Accurate Reloading, ModernMuzzleloader, MonsterMuleys.com, or anyone interested in Muzzleloading would have done.....HUNG ONTO IT FOR DEAR LIFE THROUGH THE STORE AND ASKED FOR THE LOWEST PRICE! dancing

Ended up walking out of the store with everything included with the rifle for $340.00 after tax. I think I found a true love for the gun safe, and a rifle to leave open sight for Colorado Elk Hunting.

Today was a very lucky day for me beer

BTW - it is a Super 91 in .504 jumping

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You stole that Super 91! I have one identical to it and would not take for it, period. I have gone to shooting my own cast conicals exclusively out of my nine Whites, but that S91 will shoot a Hornady 300-grain SST to an inch with 100 grains vol equivalent of Triple 7 2F if you scope the rifle.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doubless!

Woah, you have 9 Whites? I've got some catching up to do!!

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bugle, I believe the Hornady's are a sabbot. Just a reminder that we are not allow to hunt with sabbots here in Colorado, but Powerbelts are legal. Powerbelts are the goto bullet for the Colorado muzzleloader.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'm wanting 495gr-600gr Hard Cast in .504 dia

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 495gr's might work, but you would need to be sure and measure the 600 grainers. We have an additional restriction that the bullets length must be less then two times it's diameter...or in this case under 1.008. Considering that my 338gr Powerbelts measure in at .900, the 495's could be a little tight depending on the nose and base design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bugle, I do have nine Whites. I have two in .451, three in .410, and four in .504, including a new in the box laminated 97.

I hunt with a 440-grain bullet in the .504, but I also cast a 535-grain and a 620-grain bullet for it/them. However, I think Antelope Sniper is correct: the two heavier ones would be too long for the CO restrictions...

And yes, the Hornady SST I talked about in the earlier post is indeed a saboted bullet. But darn, they shoot good!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Good lord Colorado has more rules then I thought!

Do yall have any suggestions for hardcasts out of the White?

I've heard of BullShop, and I think White Muzzleloading makes/used to make some.

Doubless - I may try the Hornady SST's out of my new Accura!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't want hard cast out of that White. They are designed to shoot a pure lead bullet that is sized to "slip fit" so they load easily, then slug up to fit the grooves when fired.

Having said that though, most of us have found out that a bullet sized a couple of thousandths oversize actually shoot better. I am shooting my own bullets unsized, and they drop from the mould at almost .512". They are soft enough to load without much difficulty.

The issue with hard cast is that it might not slug up at the lower pressures.

And lastly, use that White and the SSTs on some of the stuff you hunt here in TX. They will work well.

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of White muzzleloaders. You'll love it.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Here are the promised pictures!

has 6 lines of rifling in the barrel...if that's what you're wondering. Let me know what that means, and also what that means in terms of which weight/size bullet to go for with it.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
We have an additional restriction that the bullets length must be less then two times it's diameter...or in this case under 1.008.

Looks like they got rid of that law

2. Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.
a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by muzzle-loading license holders.
b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:
1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and smokeless powder are prohibited.
2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation cloth patches are not sabots.
3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be loaded from the breech are prohibited.
4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting device other than open or “iron” sights is prohibited.
5. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR...ovisionsapproved.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It apprears you are correct. That change is good news. It was only a few years back they started letting us use in-lines.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
It apprears you are correct. That change is good news. It was only a few years back they started letting us use in-lines.

I had to do some digging to find it. I'm glad you brought it up though because it would of saved an Game Warden Arguement.

This is great news, as it will open up the opportunity to use more then just the handful of allowed projectiles.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 1990's, I was an Army recruiter, here in Utah. Occasionally, I would travel out to the Roosevelt area. On one trip, I prearranged to meet Dr. White and he was to take me shooting. We met at his house and drove to a large gravel pit south of town. He had both a M91 in 50 and another in 45. We had a great time shooting. The 50 had just been cleaned up, after an Alaskan Brownie hunt (successful) and was going to have it's picture taken that day so we didn't get to shoot it. We did shoot the living snot out of that 45. I could not believe the incredible accuracy that thing had. I kept smacking little rocks over and over at 150+ yds. Also, we never did once swab the bore. It was so easy to keep slipping those White slugs down the bore; time and again.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Back in the late 1990's, I was an Army recruiter, here in Utah. Occasionally, I would travel out to the Roosevelt area. On one trip, I prearranged to meet Dr. White and he was to take me shooting. We met at his house and drove to a large gravel pit south of town. He had both a M91 in 50 and another in 45. We had a great time shooting. The 50 had just been cleaned up, after an Alaskan Brownie hunt (successful) and was going to have it's picture taken that day so we didn't get to shoot it. We did shoot the living snot out of that 45. I could not believe the incredible accuracy that thing had. I kept smacking little rocks over and over at 150+ yds. Also, we never did once swab the bore. It was so easy to keep slipping those White slugs down the bore; time and again.

Alan

Awesome story!

posted Hide Post
Personally I think the "go to" bullet for elk here in Colorado is the T/C Maxi-Ball in 370 grains for a 50 cal. They penetrate like nobody's business and still expand well.

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Good lord Colorado has more rules then I thought!

Do yall have any suggestions for hardcasts out of the White?

I've heard of BullShop, and I think White Muzzleloading makes/used to make some.

Doubless - I may try the Hornady SST's out of my new Accura!

I loved that 460 grain superslug White made ...what a whacker

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sempre, I believe M&P Cast Bullets in Brattleboro, VT offers that bullet. Seems to me the last time I talked to Mike he told me he had one of the original moulds that Doc White designed and had cut for the .504...

one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't find these on the shelf but they are a fantastic bullet. These are a 460 gr 500 S&W bullet paper patched. I have been using them for years. They are ver accurate and so far I have never seen one NOT exit an animal. They are a great bullets and they are only .909 long. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote