New
Find
Notify
Tools

White 209 Breech Plug Issue
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The spring that keeps the 209 primer snug to the breech plug broke in 2 pieces and I am having trouble finding one without buying the whole assembly. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Jim R

Posts: 78 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: 29 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that you can even buy the whole assembly since White is out of business and it looks like for good this time. If I had the same problem I would just use the #11 percussion cap breechplug if you have one. Most that came with the 209 also had the #11 plug. If not there is a possiblility that Doc White might just still have a breechplug or someone on the DWB site might. What model White do you have?

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
It used to be most hardware stores had an assortment of different springs, you could try calling a few of the older stores if there are any left in Johnson City.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I probably have a spare White 209 plug. It would be brand new as I only use the #11 plugs. If you have a new #11 plug to trade, I'll check and see which type it is.

Think I have two of them.

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies....What I have is a custom 45 cal. from Doc himself. The action is based upon the Model 97. I was trying not to bug Doc with this if there was an easy fix to it.

Undeclocked, I do have a new #11 breech and would be more than happy to trade. I bot it just in case. I could just change it out, but my range time is going to be impossible before our front-stuffer season starts next week. Lemme check with the hardware stores locally and I will let you know what I find before we talk turkey on trade.

Thanks again, and any other responses are certainly welcomed! Jim R

Posts: 78 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: 29 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked. Have only one 209 plug left and it's the type that has no spring. Believe someone else traded me for the one that had the spring. I put a Win 209 in this one just now and didn't know if I was going to be able to get it back out without a tool, but finally did.

Has a little lint on it.

WHUT?

Posts: 371 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Underclocked, I checked my #11 breech plugs and hammer assembly. In the spirit of full disclosure, neither are brand hammer new. The one that came in my 45 from Doc has only had 10 rounds through it. I know this because I went back and checked my shooting logs. Doc White put some through it as well to accurize when building the gun. But I asuure you it has not been hurt any. If you are willing to consider the trade, even though its not a new for new, I will send it to you to look at first and then you can make the final decision.

My email is on my profile. Drop me a message and we will work it out if possible. Thanks!! Jim R

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the spring for the Traditions staghorn 209 breechplug is the same, check their web site, I got a five pack for 4.95 a while back, open replacement parts and take a look.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM, Jim R. Sounds good to me.

WHUT?

one of us
posted Hide Post
swheeler, before I go bothering underclocked, can you give me a link to where you are seein' these? I am having a problem finding anything like what you are talking about. Thanks for your efforts to help me here, Jim R

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=A1904

No bother at all. In fact I've already wrapped the breechplug (and the 209 hammer in case you wanted it as well) but it's no biggee at all either way for me.

If those springs will do the trick, get after 'em. Wink

WHUT?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim; just saw this and underclocked got you the link, take a look see> I've broken a couple of these, usually when removing the breechplug, got to keep the wrench lock onto the nipple.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are great. Those springs look like just the ticket. I've already PMd Underclocked and thanked him for his offer. I ordered the springs along with some other necessaries to justify the shipping, and I think all will be well. Thanks again for the quick replies! Jim R