New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for a Ml ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I booked a hunt in Ms for next Dec. and I need a scope to put on my Black Diamond Ml. I've narrowed it down to two. Nikon 3x9x40 pro staff or Nikon 4x40. I thought the fixed power might be more sturdy. What would you pick and why ? I doubt that I would shoot beyond 150 yds.
What do you use ? I'm going to place an order next week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go for the variable only for the purpose that you can increase the power if needed. If I was going for a fixed would be a fixed 6x. I feel that the 6 gives ample maginification for hunting range shooting and does not overpower the close range shots. The 4x would tend to be too low maginification for those 150-200 yard shots. Try shooting 1" dots at 200 yards and you will see my point. Go with the variable as it will do everything you will ever need it to do.

Posts: 114 | Location: valley Forge, PA | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My scoped muzzleloader wears a Leupold VariX-III 3.5-10 Really though, any quality brand you like will work, but theres alot to be said for a variable scope at the range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for a straight 6X. I have them on three muzzleloaders (Leupold M8 6X), and they do everything I need them to do. They are plenty of magnification for the muzzleloader's effective range, point quick, have plenty of field of vision, and are high enough magnification to allow load workup at 200 yards.
Having the 9x might tempt me to try a shot at further range than what I feel is responsible, and they add weight to the rifle.
The 6X balances well, is plenty bright, is less money out of pocket, and to me just a better choice.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon 4X Monarch on my Disc Elite 40mm objective Leupold QR rings.I am normaly a Leupy man all the way but Leupold doesnt make a 4X with a 40mm obj so I went with a top end Nikon.

For hunting with your ML you will probably never need anything bigger than 4X but you might enjoy the varible when sighting in. You will have trouble shooting running deer with a 6X at close range stay away from fixed 6X unless you feel you want 6X go with a varible.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless your deer are really, really small a 2.5x or 4x fixed should be plenty out the limits of where a fella has any business shooting at deer with muzzleloader. That said most of us spend more time on the range than we do in the woods and higher magnification can be handy when sighting in. I fancy Leupold as a rule but we're not allowed scopes for our muzzleloader seasons in any case. I've heard/read good things from users of the better Nikons.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
4 x 16 Bushnell 4200 elite is my choice, when sighting in at 100 yards more power makes it easier to find the bullet holes. You don’t need this much power but precise bullet placement is a must for a clean kill.

Good luck with your choice of scope.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver K4 4X on my plains rifle. Works very good for me and where I hunt most often. I have a 2.5 x 5 Variable on another rifle and it also works well for where I hunt.
On another rifle where i hunt longer ranges I have a 3 x 9 variable, cost me a deer once when I pulled up onm it all I saw was hair. by the time I got it dialed back down the deer was flagging bye bye to me.
I would chose the 4x or a lower power variable.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I don't have a scope on any of my ML guns, but if I did I'd get a 1.5-6 or 2-7 variable. Or a 4X. The closest thing ballistically I have is a rifled slug gun, it has a 1.5 to 6 on it and that works just fine.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I put the VXII 2-7x33 on my Omega and really like it. Plenty of magnification out to 200 yards (not that I've had that type of shot), nice and light and fits well. I used the Leupold QR rings and one piece base so I didn't have to remove the rear sight and I can pull the scope off and still use the open sights.

Still waiting for Peyton to win the big one...

Posts: 7 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I bought the Nikon buckmaster 4x40 I think it will be just fine. I can't believe how clear it is ! now if it will hold up to the recoil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could never bring myself to scope a ML Wink. Except last year when I decided to see what the accuracy potential for round balls was. It amazed me. They shot as well as most cartridge rifles (40 cal, 1 in 48 twist, Swiss FFF).

If you must, though, I'd go with a low power fixed scope. An older Leupold M-8 3X would probably be great on one.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in the Nikon pro staffs, go with the 2X7 ml and shotgun scope. Mine is extremely clear and the power range is more suited to a modern muzzleloader. Have one already and am planning on putting one on an Encore ml I got last week.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
That nikon with the bdc 250 looks sweet! Lots of good reviews on the auto reticle.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote