ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Re: Won 50 cal Winnie Inline at SCI banquet..now what?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Won 50 cal Winnie Inline at SCI banquet..now what?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Derf:

Yeah the lil tool.... It is a 209 primer.... putter on-er and taker off-er. Can't leave home without this puppy.

I have been doing an awful lot of reading and research on this new hobby. From powder to barrels, to different actions to different stocks and calibers.

I learned an interesting thing about BLOWBACK in the bolt action inlines. When I was inspecting my new Winchester inline, I sort of noticed that even with a 209 primer capped that the bolt system was not enclosed. I was wondering if there was going to be any gases coming out of this puppy. It seems that my suspicions were correct, it is called blowback. Now remember I have NEVER even shot a Muzzleloader yet when I won this new rifle. As a matter of fact I still haven't, I am waiting for all my supplies to come in. It was just an observation I made when lookig at it.

But it seems that certain makes have tremendous BLOWBACK that even covers the scope bottom... from what I read aka Remington and Traditions inlines. My X-150 is supposed to have moderate heavy blowback. Now I know why Knight ML's have that red plastic holder that encases the 209 primer. They have little or No BLOWBACK. Also the Thompson Omega and Encore are completely closed systems, aka with a hammer.

If anybody else has an X-150, I found out how to use Weaver Bases to mount the Scope.... It is #46 base... but you have to punch it out to #8 screws... the #6 screws that come with it are to small for the drilled and tapped holes. Also stay away from the Winchster bases and rings for the X-150...@ $90.00... they do not fit correctly and are a mess..

Yeah well... live and learn... and I am still learning ML stuff..

Regards... Jim P.

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Congrats on winning. Your rifle should have came with an instruction manual from the factory if not I would contact them and ask for one. As for Clean or Clear shot I have heard that it is inconstant. I use Pyrodex RS in my Knight Inline but 777 will work as well. 777 is hotter than Pyrodex and the charge must be reduced but I don't know what percent. I would recommend checking the Hodgdon web site http://www.hodgdon.com/ for the latest data. Muzzle loading is great fun and hunting with a muzzleloader will put the extra challenge in that you are sure to enjoy.

Swede44mag

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A powerbelt 295gr .50 cal bullet and 2-50gr pyrodex pellets regularly shoots under 1 1/2" in my Remington 700ML at almost 1700fps. The velocity is lower than I would like but the accuracy is better than the other charges. I shot a cow elk at 209yds with this combo this year. The lightest powerbelt bullets aren't recommended for large animals and actually they have told me in person that the 348gr (.50cal) bullet is the lightest they would like to see anyone use with the 395 and 444gr bullets being the best. The lead in these bullets is SOFT. They also said the plastic tip bullets hold together better than the hollow points. The ones I have recovered from the elk I have shot in the last couple of years have been nearly flat but of fairly large diameter (.50cal 295's, 348's, and .54 cal 348's)

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bucktail:

Thank you very much for the information. I picked up the gun today. I will be using the powerbelt bullets it seems. I still haven't made up my mind wich pellets I want to use.

Pyrodex... 777... there is also Clean Shot..??

What would be a real good weight Bullet for Whitetail. The powerbelts come in 240... I think 290... and even 300 and 400 grain bullets..??

In a 26in. barrel... what kind of velocity with two pellets and 240 grain bullet.??

Regards;

Jim P.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go to powerbelts website they have the approximate velocity for the different powder charges. You can get a bullet starter from them as well. The powerbelt bullets will load easier than any other bullet you will ever use though. In a clean barrel you can push them down the bore with your finger.

You got me on the use of the u shaped tool.

I just use antisieze on the breech plug.

Be careful muzzleloader hunting can be just as addictive as other forms of hunting .

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

I was at the Lehigh Valley SCI banquet yesterday and won a 50 cal Winchester In-line Muzzle loader. Now I have to admit that the only thing I know about muzzleloaders is that you pour a measured charge down the barrel, cap it with a ball or bullet and either a flash pan or a nipple will fire the charge. I have a 50 cal Thompson Contender Hawken Flintlock on the wall in my office for the past 25 years, unfired.

But..... since PA is starting to let you use Muzzleloaders during the Archery Season, I figure I would finally give it a try.

I do know that Knight makes the red plastic thingie that holds a 209 shotgun primer. I also know that TC Omega you just put the shotgun primer over the nipple and close the action. Is this the way the Winchester works??? It has a bolt with a standard safety.

What about the new.. I think it's Hornady Bullets with the three pyrodex pellets attached?

I am not a Black Powder purist, and I would like to extend my Hunting Season for Deer. So the most accurate and easiest shooting and cleaning solution is what I would prefer.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

Regards... Jim P.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that the 209 primer on your rifle will go directly into the back of the breech plug, more similar to the Thomson Center than the Knight. As for the thingy with the three pyrodex pellets (called a sabot) I've not tried these particular sabots, but I really don't see much advantage to this set up over a speed loader with pellets and bullet. For ease of cleaning, I like Hogden 777. It fouls just as much as Pyrodex or black powder, but it comes out with plain tap water vs soap and water. Like Pyrodex, it comes in both loose powder and in pellet form. The powder is cheaper and you can change your loads more gradually, but the pellets are more convienent, and your most accurate load will probably be close to 100 grains anyway. As for bullets, the Powerbelt is the most convienent to use, followed closely by the conical (conicals will generally be cheaper). I shoot sabots because I have a .44 magnum and it helps to simplify my bullet inventory. Powerbelts are the most expensive choice listed here. If you shoot conicals and Hogden 777, you will need to switch from a lubricant rated for black powder or pyrodex to a lubricant rated for cast bullets and smokless cartriges (at least it used to say so on Hogden's website).

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote