Find
Notify
Tools

.25 acp vs. 209
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
What are the opinions out there on switching a .50 cal Encore over to primed .25 acp hull ignition system?

Does it inprove accuracy? Does it make follow-up seating easier?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked this Question on another site that has alot of Encore shooters . I asked the Question about a week ago. Some of the answers makes
good sense. There is less blow by at the nipple
Better Ignition, Some have said it in proved accuratcy more than one person said that.
My Questions were how can I make my encre better.The most answers ,other that switching to the 25 acp coversion was Trigger work.
I am switching to the 25 acp.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does it inprove accuracy? Does it make follow-up seating easier?

No, it doesn't.

It gives ignition problems with pellets, but works well with loose powder.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Sorry Randy but it will improve accuracy, not a lot but noticeable, at least for me it did. And with the ignition of the pellets, I never had a problem, not once. I have been using a 25 APC breech plug in my Encores for 3 years now. I have shot triple 7 pellets and triple 7 powder with great results. Hot day and extremely cold day, same results, ignition.

I have switched to just triple 7 powder, I got tired of giving my money to Hodgdon's for them over priced pellets.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest things it seems to improve in the in-lines ,, reduction of the crud ring problem

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the reduction of the crud ring and a second benefit which I think is even more valuable is the ease of handling the .25ACP brass over the standard 209 primer especially with cold hands. Removal of the brass is also more positive and does not require any special tool or a knife if it is attempting to stick. I had some 209's stick. The .25ACP seems less prone to sticking also.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk1:
Sorry Randy but it will improve accuracy, not a lot but noticeable, at least for me it did. And with the ignition of the pellets, I never had a problem, not once. I have been using a 25 APC breech plug in my Encores for 3 years now. I have shot triple 7 pellets and triple 7 powder with great results. Hot day and extremely cold day, same results, ignition.

Don't be sorry, be happy.

You can't stick a primer in an Encore unless you remove the extractor. I've not been able to manage.

You really can't work up loads easily with pellets. Good enough is good enough, but take three pellets and call me in the morning is a go / no situation. Loose powder is better, at least better for me.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot the primers that Remington makes specifically for inlines and don't waste time or money on the other workarounds. No crud ring,pellets or loose with 777.

I have never had trouble putting a primer in MY Encore. Must be operator error. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
It is all personal choice, I just like the 25 ACP better than them small 209 primers. It has worked great for me. That's all that counts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redhawk,

Does the 25 acp system keep your breech area a lot cleaner?

Joe

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
starmetal, yes it does. It is a tight seal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk1:
starmetal, yes it does. It is a tight seal.

Thanks

Joe