Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet weight for Omega ?
 Login/Join

posted
What would be a bullet weight to shoot through the Omega in a SST? I shoot 300 gr., now. But is heavier always better? I know a lighter bullet will shoot flatter. Whitetails are they only game I hunt with this gun. Would a 250 gr., be better for longer shots, in a SST. I'm not sure of the rate of twist on this barrel. Let me say I will be using 2 50 gr. 777 pellets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady SST 300 gr L&L has more fps and energy than the 250 at 250yds Look at there web site. I shoot the 26in Encore and use 3-50gr reg-pyrodex pellets and I get a little more vel than the tests that were done with the Omega and the Tripple 7 using 3-50gr pellets. These are there test Results with the Omega From Hornady

250gr-250yds-energy=1070==fps was 1389. The drop at 250yds with a 3in high at 100yds is -11in

300gr-250yds-energy=1368==fps was 1433. The drop at 250yds with a 3in high at 100yds is -11.1

This is right out of the Hornady Product catalog or go to www.hornady.com and look under Muzzleloading-sabots/bullets. The Ballistic's between a Rifle and Muzzle loader are different. A 300gr might be alittle over kill for a deer, but it did a # on my 4pt. More vel and Bullet energy is a plus for me with a smoke pole, and the groups I get are in and just outside a circled in quarter at 100yds. Keep the bore cleaned with T/C#13 cleaner and run a patch with bore butter through it for easier loading and less fouling. It will keep the bore seasoned and alot easier to get more shot's between having to run another patch through it with out having to use so much force to get the sabot down the barrel.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
In the first post of the following thread you will find a link
to a video clip showing what the 200gr ShockWave (actually, a
SST sold by T/C) shot out of an Omega did to a mulie:

http://www.huntamerica.com/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB12&Number=609153&Searchpage=1&Main=609153&Words=Siren&topic=&Search=true#Post609153

I got an 8-point whitetail with the same bullet fired out of a
savage, and it went down fast, but not THAT fast!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote