New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: H&R Huntsman muzzleloader
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I used one in the 1970s, back before we knew to call it an in-line. Mine was a .58 caliber. In those days it had a knock-out breech plug which made for convenient maintenance. As light as it was it kicked a bit with both roundball and Minie. Not sure I ever shot much past 75 yards or so but it was as accurate as I thought it ought to be. The newer guns are 209x50s, correct? They ought to be a little easier on the shoulder and easier to feed. The H&R/NEF guns seem a pretty solid value. The only question I would answer first is whether you can add centerfire rifle or shotgun barrels to your Huntsman should you find that desirable. Good hunting! McB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone use one?

How accurate are they at 75 to 100 yards?

Are they a good buy, reliable, easy to clean? The price seems good.

This would be my first modern in-line muzzleloader and I am thinking of buying one.

Thanks.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I suggest a Knight MK85 in 50 or 54 Cal. They cost less than 299. The stainless is what I have in 54 Cal...very accurate too 100+ yards. Green Mountain Barrel a plus. several years ago these were over $500.00

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You cannot add a centerfire barrel to your huntsman muzzle loader from NEF. Here's a link:

http://www.hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm

If you already have a centerfire rifle, you can send it in to NEF and get a muzzleloader barrel put on it. You can go one way, just not the other way. I have been considering putting a muzzleloader barrel on my NEF Buffalo Classic. I would also like to know how others are liking them. The HR forum has some good responses on it.

Link to HR forum:

http://www.hr1871.com/talk/index.htm

Posts: 33 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was given one this year by a friend of mine and that is the best ML for the dollar out there. I mounted a 1-6 power scope on it and it will consistently group 300 grain Horanady SST's at 1 1/2" all day. I took three bucks this year with it in MD and VA and a friend of mine used it to take a doe and a buck. All three one shot kills that went no farther than 60 yards. For $129.00 at Wally world you can not go wrong. I have a encore that was $600.00 and it will not out shoot the huntsman.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the Huntsman is the way to go.

Here in PA you can use the in-lines during the early season and in the special regs shotgun areas, but then I would prefer my shotgun. The early muzzleloader season is only a week long so I don't see why I need to spend hundreds on a fancy in-line when I can buy the good performance of the Hunstman for much less to cover a season that lasts only about a week.

I went over to the NEF talk forums and they rave about the Huntsman there too.

Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote