New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Powder Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shot a cow elk this morning using black powder. First elk I have shot not using my 30-06 and the first game ever using black powder.
Been lucky and have killed my share of game and it has not been as exciting the last few years as it once was.
Today was a thrill like I have not had in some time hunting. I just may become addicted to black powder.
Was presented a good shot and took it, all the smoke I couldn't till what she was doing for a few seconds, exciting. First shot went thru both lungs and exited. I did shoot again but doubt it was needed but a elk standing I will shoot again everytime.
Used a T/C miniball 320 grains in front of 100 grains of triple 7, Mag primer, shot at aprox. 100 yards.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go! I agree even if they look like they are done, if they are on their feet, shoot until they drop. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
Sweet shot, congrats! Pics?

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry didn't have the camera along and I have tried before after getting home and they just don't seem to look good in the driveway. We were in a big hurry after I shot as the guy I was with needed to get a few miles to bid a job. We were killing ourselves trying to get her cleaned drug out, loaded and back to where the job was. We made it 20 minutes late, met the guy but we were both sore all over the next day. We only had a few hours but we made it.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote