New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to ML, several technical questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok guys, here is the deal. My fatherinlaw and I are looking at going muzzleloading next year for deer and i need some questions answered. I am very experienced in reloading and doing custom gun work so it is not like these are off the wall questions.

1)Why shoot 250-350gr 50cal bullets in 50 cals? You don't shoot 300gr 30-06 bullets at deer, so why do that in a slow twist barrel?

2)Why is the rate of twist like 1in20 or more? Yet, in ar15 they bump up twist rate to like 1in6 or 1in8 for heavy bullets? Rifled slug barrels shooting the same bullets are faster.

3)Anyone used just 45 cal pistol bullets for their 50 cals? We used 45 cal 185 xtp's and nosler custom comps.

4)How long should the petals on the sabot be? We used the short ones, but with 185's they still curl over quite a bit. It looked like the difference between the long sleeve for like 300's and the short ones for the 245's.

5)Powder issues: I realize it is measured by volume. So based on our measurement, 100 of the pyrodex select weighed 75grains by mass. How much does metering powder matter in muzzleloading? Triple7 pellets that were the 50/50's ranged from 29.2to 32.3, so with 2 pellets you could go from 58.4 to 64.6. I know in centerfire reloading this would be a huge problem. So do you pour or pellets?

Any help on any question would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 36 | Location: Owatonna, mn | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR

1) I don't know why. I have shot the 185 .45 cal but didn't get good accuracy and found good accuracy with 240 grners.

2) I think this is to shoot round balls? Sorry I'm still not much help.

3) yes

4) They are longer than most all the bullets I have used.

5) I shoot loose 777 and I measure using volume.

I switched to a .45 cal Knight Disc elite a couple years ago and shoot 200 grn Hornady SST bullets over 120 grns of 777 with a 209 primer.

Works for me.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted knows this end, make notes.
The reason behind heavier bullets is comparative lack of velocity.
You don't have to throw a bowling ball as fast as you do a golf ball...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Rich, How bout them Cardinals?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trisurvivor:
Ok guys, here is the deal. My fatherinlaw and I are looking at going muzzleloading next year for deer and i need some questions answered. I am very experienced in reloading and doing custom gun work so it is not like these are off the wall questions.

1)Why shoot 250-350gr 50cal bullets in 50 cals? You don't shoot 300gr 30-06 bullets at deer, so why do that in a slow twist barrel?
like sharpshooter says,lack of velocity.It actaully works well at closer ranges

2)Why is the rate of twist like 1in20 or more? Yet, in ar15 they bump up twist rate to like 1in6 or 1in8 for heavy bullets? Rifled slug barrels shooting the same bullets are faster. That is the twist needed to stabilze the bullet.Balls have slower twist,longer and heavier need faster twist.
Rifled slug barels are not shooting the same bullets,and are using smokeless powder,not blackpowder.

3)Anyone used just 45 cal pistol bullets for their 50 cals? We used 45 cal 185 xtp's and nosler custom comps. I have been using them for years.

4)How long should the petals on the sabot be? We used the short ones, but with 185's they still curl over quite a bit. It looked like the difference between the long sleeve for like 300's and the short ones for the 245's. just keep the shank of the bullet covered,so it doesnt contact the barell.

5)Powder issues: I realize it is measured by volume. So based on our measurement, 100 of the pyrodex select weighed 75grains by mass. How much does metering powder matter in muzzleloading? Triple7 pellets that were the 50/50's ranged from 29.2to 32.3, so with 2 pellets you could go from 58.4 to 64.6. I know in centerfire reloading this would be a huge problem. So do you pour or pellets? I pour myself,but slight variations shouldnt matter much.I have been told as much as 10 grains of BP is needed to make much difference in velocity,and my expirence bears that out.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
quote:

2)Why is the rate of twist like 1in20 or more? Yet, in ar15 they bump up twist rate to like 1in6 or 1in8 for heavy bullets? Rifled slug barrels shooting the same bullets are faster.

3)Anyone used just 45 cal pistol bullets for their 50 cals? We used 45 cal 185 xtp's and nosler custom comps.

4)How long should the petals on the sabot be? We used the short ones, but with 185's they still curl over quite a bit. It looked like the difference between the long sleeve for like 300's and the short ones for the 245's.

5)Powder issues: I realize it is measured by volume. So based on our measurement, 100 of the pyrodex select weighed 75grains by mass. How much does metering powder matter in muzzleloading? Triple7 pellets that were the 50/50's ranged from 29.2to 32.3, so with 2 pellets you could go from 58.4 to 64.6. I know in centerfire reloading this would be a huge problem. So do you pour or pellets?

1. The bullets have to be heavier (becasue they have to be longer) to provide a good BC for such large diameter bullets.

2. As others have stated

3. Yes

4. They should be long enough to cover the bearing surface of the bullet. Since this distance is different for different bullets, sabot manufacturers usually make them a little longer than actually needed so they can be used with a variety of bullets. It is my understanding that the petals being longer than needed is not a significant problem.

5. Measuring by volume is so much easier and the volume of the powder isn't extremely critical in muzzleloaders (the larger the volume of the cases in smokeless powder situations the more the actual amount of powder--not the percentage--can vary and not have much effect). Muzzleloaders use so much powder that it takes more actual change in powder volume to make a significant change in velocity. I like to pour my muzzleloader propellant--this gives me more control over what charge I use (and it is significantly less expensive).

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote