ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    .72 Cal Double Barrel Muzzle Loader - Cabelas

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.72 Cal Double Barrel Muzzle Loader - Cabelas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would a 12 Ga. shotgun slug shoot safely/properly from this DR .72 Cal M/L if you pulled it from it's shell?

Or can one buy conical bullets for 12 bore M/Ls?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jack: Probably not. To fit inside the 12-gauge shell, the slug is likely undersized and considerably so if it fits in a sabot.
If you cast your own, check the NEI Handtools site, as they make a number of conical molds for this gauge. If you don't cast, do a Google search for Wayne Doudna (hope I spelled it right).

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
The bores on a 12-bore is nominally .730, give or take. Slugs for a 12 gauge shotgun are usually cast to .715, hence the reason for the foster slug to obterate close to bore diameter while the rifling is theoretically supposed to empart a spin on the projectile.
Although I haven't tried it, a Foster slug probably wouldn't give you the ballistics nor the accuracy you are seeking with your 12-bore.
I'm having a brain fart right now...but there's a certain slug maker who makes hard-cast slugs that would work perfectly for this. It's a slug that looks like a Cast-Performance bullet on steriods. I'll get back to you on this as soon as I can remember the manufactures' name.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Hah, I'm a retard. Okay it's the Dixie Terminator slug, don't exactly recall the weight but I would suggest using one of these for a conical.
They have all sorts of conicals out there, but avoid using a solid such as a Bridger. Your rifle will take a serious pounding from using one of these, such discussions on this are on the Double Rifle forum. Being the Terminator is a solid, it is lead so it's easier on the rifle than a monolithic brass bullet, for example.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check your rifling twist rate. Be a shame to find out you have a roundball rifle after you buy a custom mold for a .730 conical.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop over to www.shootersforum.com and talk with the guy from Bearthooth bullets,, he has come up with a slug for this gun and may be casting them now

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote