New
Find
Notify
Tools

TC Omega loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine just bought two TC Omega 50 caliber muzzleloaders, one for him, one for his wife. He's used to shooting muzzleloaders but his favorite powder and bullet just isn't cutting it on these rifles. He's having trouble keeping three shot groups inside of a foot at 100 yards, and that's just not good enough.

So he called me to piss and moan about his lousy shooting rifles and I told him that I don't think there's anything wrong with the rifles, but that it's his load that isn't working. However, I don't shoot a TC Omega, so I couldn't tell him what worked for me.

I'm sure there's at least one person here that shoots a TC Omega. Would you be willing to share what bullet, what powder and how many grains are working for you?

Muzzleloader season starts on November 3rd, so we're running out of time here in Tennessee....

Thanks!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of boomer453
posted Hide Post
80-90grains (by volume) of BH209 under a precision rifle keith nose hollow point or solid will get you what you want. the Omega has a 1-28" twist so i would suggest the 450gr version.
Heavy for caliber bullets do amazing things. My best load is 90 grains under the 450gr polymer tipped QT1 (a non-sabot version no longer offered on the website).

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have an Omega that shoots 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. I use 110 Grs. of Blackhorn 209 (by volumne) with the 250 Gr. Hornady SST muzzleloader bullet with the red sabot. The load is sparked by a Federal 209 (not the 209A) primer.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, based on info I've gotten from this site and others, it seems that 250 Hornady bullets are the popular choice, and powder charges vary from 100 to 120 grains.

I'll let J.D. know the results of my informal poll so he can get the rifles sighted in before this weekend's hunt.

Thanks all.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Make sure you tell him to try Blackhorn 209 powder. Nothing beats it. No crud ring, no special primers, clean up with regular solvents and no swabbing between shots. I've sugested this powder to several guys at my gun club and all who have tried it were very pleased and are now confirmed users.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Iv'e had great results with 2 50gr.(100) pyrodex pellets. 250gr. hornady sst, remington 209 kleanbore primers.

Posts: 20 | Location: central Mo. | Registered: 14 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I also recomend the BH 209. I use a Mag 209 primer. Use to shoot PR bullets 295gr. But it seems nobody carries them any more. You can shoot BH 209 all day with no build up... Makes shooting fun. Precision Rifle is a good site to check out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine really likes IMR White Hots, and 250gr Shock waves. Very clean, and very very accurate and flat shooting.

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Two or three Pyrodex pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave/SST

I've got one Omega that will print a .68 group with the three pellet load.

If the gun is shooting a foot, I'd be looking at other problems...loose scope, poor seating, inconsistent seating pressure, sabot issues. A 12" group is pretty well unheard of if everything else is okay. I seriously doubt trying all the loads in the world is going to help.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like BH209 shooting the Barnes 290gr TEZ. Going to tweak the load this spring/summer though.

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote