New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maxi-balls in my White
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took my 50-cal White Super 91 out the other evening, and shot some 385-grain Maxis out of it. I did everything "wrong", but intentionally: I ladle-poured the bullets, cast them of 1:20, didn't weigh them, used my own lube, and then used a volume powder measure to measure the 777 and charge the rifle instead of weighing charges.

I ended up with roughly a 4" group at 200 yards (eight shots before darkness got me), and the last two were side by side, roughly 2" apart. To that end, here are the questions:

* How close should bullet diameter be to groove diameter? These bullets loaded extremely easily, and I think they still shot remarkably well at 200, with all the variation I threw into loading them. I have never shot any of the White "slip-fit" bullets, but now I wonder if a "soft" and slightly smaller bullet might actually work as well as the saboted/jacketed projectiles that are so popular.

* I'd like to know how you guys foul a barrel. My first shot was well away from the others. I considered it a fouler and excluded it from the "group". After that it seemed like the more fouling the rifle accumulated, the better it shot. Does that make sense?

Thanks, guys...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You mite try

www.modernmuzzleloader.com

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote