ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    Nikon Omega ML Riflescope, anyone use it yet?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Omega ML Riflescope, anyone use it yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cold
posted
I was at Cabelas and saw this Nikon Omega riflescope which is set with a drop reticle for a 28 inch barrel using some TC load (I believe the shockwave) anyways, was looking for any reivews any thoughts?

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Pro-hunter Encore. It works as advertised. I am using 120 gr. of loose triple 7 and a T/C Bonded shockwave 250 gr. bullet. I have it zeroed at 100 yards and I have shot the gun at 100, 150, 200 and 225 and it was right on. I did not get a chance to shoot it at 250 yards yet.
I took a deer at 150 yards last season. I used the scope as it was intended and the bullet hit it's mark.

I would not get rid of that set up for anything.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
Read some reviews because of this post. Apparently that scope is near perfect!

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just wondering and this is probably a newbe\dumb question. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on unsing this scope with different loads\bullets and perhaps even a different gun.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
huntelk,

Welcome to the forums, these fellas have a wealth of info.

Your question about the Omega and other loads is a Yes and No answer. Will it work with other guns and different loads? Yes, it will work but, No, the circles may not be set to the proper range as the scope's design(The Omega Rifle and 250 SWs).

You can use this scope with any rifle and it will work but, you have to figure out which range each cirle is zeroed for.

This is much easier for CF because we actually know the BC of many bullets, can measure the speed from the muzzle with a chrono, and can use the subtensions of the reticle to figure out the approximate zeros of each circle. I'm currently doing that with a 25-06 and the BDC reticle on a Monarch for an antelope/deer load.

When refering to MLers and differing bullets it would probably be best to place targets at differing ranges and shoot to see what your zeros do. A little common sense should get you headed in the right direction meaning, if you have a shorter barrel and are shooting a less aerodynamic projectile, try the targets alittle closer than what the Omega scope is set up for.

Do you have a particular load in mind? I'm sure some of us may be able to give some approx distances you could try.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response, heres my deal. I bought a Knight 52 last year and absolutly love the way it shoots. I am shooting 140 to 150 grains of loose 777 with a Barnes 375 Gr. Red Hot with a BC of .291 in one publication and a .400 in another, and the Power Stem breech plug. I have shot it through a chronograph and been real consistant at 2000 fps or a little above. Of course I am very limited on bullet selection and was just wondering if the Nikon scope would even be close. I have been in contact with Premier Reticles and am confident they can do the same thing for my scope, gun and load, just pretty pricy. I am zero at 100 yards and 6 to 8 low at 200 yards. Those figures seems to be very suceptable to weather, ie--humidity, temperature and pressure. I live at 7500 ft so therefore I think it shoots a little better than Knight says it does. I guess I am not sure at what elevation they tested.

Thanks in advance for any help

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am zero at 100 yards and 6 to 8 low at 200 yards.

At my first thought, I'm going to bet you'll be very close to the omega reticle for the simple reason that the 250 SW has a very similar trajectory.

I'll run the numbers and see what I come up with.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Copied from the Omega manual:

Now for the shooting procedure that will fine
tune the BDC-250 reticle to your load.
• zero the scope at one hundred yards so that
your point of impact is identical to the point
of aim.
• setup large cardboard targets at two
hundred and fifty yards. The target should
be at least three feet tall. Place an aiming
mark at the top of the large piece of
cardboard.
• shoot three to five shots using your one
hundred yard zero. Do not be concerned
about bullet drop. The challenge is to have
a large enough cardboard to catch each shot
and to form a nice group.
• mark the center of your 250 yard group
with a large X using your felt marking pen.
• go back to the firing position and align your
scope on the aiming point and note where
the 250 group is relative to the bottom
circle. Do not be concerned if the group is
not in the circle.
• vary the power setting on the scope to move
the bottom circle to the center of the group.
You might prefer to use the center, top or
bottom of an accuracy circle, your choice.
You now have a 100-yard zero and a 250-
yard zero.
• note the power setting that enables the 250
yards zero and do not move the
magnification ring. You might consider a
dab of nail-polish to mark the spot so you
can return easily.
• move your target to 150, 200 and 225 and
repeat the firing procedure, noting exactly
where your groups form relative to the
circles. Do not move the magnification ring
on the scope. Note the relationship between
the center of each group and the circles and
make simple notes to describe the
correlations.
You now have exact zero information for 100,
150, 200, 225 and 250 yards. We suggest a
simple drop-chart (Table 1) for field use.
Accuracy circles are very adaptable. We can
use three aiming locations, the intersections at
the top and bottom with the vertical crosshair
or the center of the circle. After tailoring the
BDC-250 reticle your long-range hold-offs will
be based on confidence rather than guess-work!

Good Luck

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Huntelk,

Ran the numbers you gave to the numbers of a 250 SW going 2100fps and the results were indentical in my ballistic calculator.

I'd start out by treating it as it were made for you load and if it doesn't prove to be exact at the range just use the above method Nikon suggest to taylor it to you load.

This scope seems Ideal for MLing. While I do have the BDC on a CF, this definitely looks interesting for a ML....

Good Luck

Reloader

posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot. I cant wait to try it out. I just ordered one--now I just need it to warm up and the wind to quit blowing so I can get it sited in and work on confidence with a new set up.. I will let you know how it goes.

Mark

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
huntelk8863, I thought 120 gr. of loose triple 7 was the max for loose powder. It is equavalent to 150 gr. or 3 pellets of triple7?

Sounds like a hot load 140 - 150 ganes of loose triple 7.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
According to the information included with gun that is actually the recommended load to shoot with the power stem breech plug. I have shot it somewhere in the range of 300 times at that level of powder with no problems other than an occasional flyer which as I have become more profecient at seating the bullet has become less of an issue.

Thanks