New
Find
Notify
Tools

my inline Roller
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took an old wreck of a rolling block militry #1 action and converted it to a inline side lever. I used a TC breech block and a tapered .50 cal barrel with a fast twist set up for conicals. The front spirit globe sight and the tang mounted hunter model sight are both from Axtel. I'm using a vintage Marbles folding sight for the barrel sight. The lever is a modified left handed lever from frontier armory. I wanted to set up a gun with the possiblity of shooting at a longer distance, should the chance arrive. I hunt the plains of SD for whitetail and that was what I had in mind.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Please show us the whole rifle when you're done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
getting closer

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's coming right along. Have you shot it yet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks neat keep us posted on how it shoots

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
SKB, What a beautiful rifle that roller is, and what a great job you did with the side lever adaptation!
I myself have a rolling block rifle converted to a .50 cal muzzle loader. It was made by a company called Cumberland Arms, but I don't really know much about it. I would love to make it more like your rifle, particularly in the area of breeching. Mine has a slip in insert sort of slipped into a "chamber" with a hole for a shotgun primer that fires the gun. It also leaks gas and crud back into the action. If you don't mind telling, what TC breech did you use, and how is it fitted into the barrel? I assume it is a threaded breech plug as in Encore or Omega, and threaded into the barrel, but what is the thread diameter and pitch? Are taps available to fit these? My rifle has a loose plug held in place with the roller breech block. The barrel is a 24 twist and shoots the White system slugs very well, but needs better sights and breeching. Hope to hear from you soon.
Tim

Posts: 6 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
its a special order tap, 11/16 x 20tpi if memory serves. I ordered it from MSC, they had it in stock. A lathe would be required to properly fit the plug as the bottom of the hole must be bored square to the rifles bore.
Steve

posted Hide Post
Steve,
Thanks for the reply! I measured my spare breech plug for my Omega, and it appears to be 11/16 x 20 as you said. I guess I will have to re-activate my account with MSC and buy a tap. I will be retiring after next week after 32 years as a tool & die maker. This will be a wonderful project for my spare time. I do have an old Logan lathe in my basement so I will have no problem with that job of boring for the plug. I will stick with my existing barrel for now, but I sure like the tapered barrel on your rifle. Maybe an 18 twist .45 barrel would make a good hunting rifle in the future. Who made your barrel and where did you buy it?
Tim

Posts: 6 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the barrel custom made by bill moody, both the inside and the outside were very nicely finished with minimal polish...really nice stuff and it shoots too!
steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
first blood

2007 south dakota buck

one of us
posted Hide Post
skb, great rifle and great buck! Damn man that is sweet, making your own rig up, and killing a fine buck like that as first blood!

I am damn envious--of the whole deal, rifle, talent of poster, quality of buck--everything!!!

Good on you-- thumb

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen many cool custom guns on AR, but I think this is one of the coolest! Great rifle, you should be very proud!!!

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gents for your very kind comments. Heres another buck taken with a .25/06 on a mauser custom I built. Rifle season tends to be longer shots, but I might have been able to pull this one off with the front stuffer as it was somewhere inside of 20 yards. Heres a picture of the mauser with a small Chamoi.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
That roller is not that cool, it is freaken awsome!
I Love the look of that thing. What bullets are you using, and powder? We need more info. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 240 grain dead center bullets and 100 grains of 777. It shoots great too!
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
How far out do you have it sighted in for? Man I love the look of that thing. What is the rate of twist? Have you tried some big lead? Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot up to 348 gr power belts in it....those sucked, way too much drop. For Elk I had it sighted in with the 295 powerbelts. I havent shot it much past 100 yards, just havent had the time yet. Twist is 1 in 26". Let me know if you have any other questions. I enjoyed this build.
Steve