New
Find
Notify
Tools

oil removing solvent?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My experience with T7 has been that the first shot out of a clean bore with no oil residue shoots into the same group as the subsequent shots (spit patch in between). This is a big bonus to me because I don't have to worry about a fouling shot. At the range I have using brake clean on a patch to remove oil before shooting. It leaves no residue, however, it is a nasty solvent. I was wondering what you guys use

Posts: 50 | Location: albany, ny | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My muzzleloaders are all stainless barreled, so I don't use an oil after cleaning...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot T7, but to remove oil and between shots, as necessary, I use windex on a patch. For cleaning, it is 50/50 Simple Green and water, followed by regular hoppe's and then oil. The Simple Green mixture will remove the fouling and Pyrodex residue and the Hoppe's removes the plastic fouling and the primer crud from the breech plug.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My barrel is stainless, and at first I just thoroughly cleaned and dried it. I checked it after just a few days and some light rust flecks had already formed in the bore. Beware of the myth! Stainless will rust at a lesser rate and more slowly than standard steel, but it will rust! I now believe stainless sells mostly for its looks (and cost).

Seems like alcohols cut the oil sufficiently?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beware of the myth! Stainless will rust at a lesser rate and more slowly than standard steel, but it will rust! I now believe stainless sells mostly for its looks (and cost).

Agreed, SS needs oiling just like blues do.

Are you saying that dry patching before loading isn't sufficent to remove the excess oil, still causing a POI shift? I have never experienced this in my MLs?? I run a couple dry patches down and shes right where I left off.
May try poping a primer or two after dry patching then load and shoot! I don't need to but some find it helps and it makes sure the breech area is free and clean.

Alcohol will remove the oil residue but it will also leave your bore dry(could cause sabot loading problems) and unprotected while hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me. I'll give it a try. Thanks.