New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Muzzleloader to buy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking to buy a modern muzzleloading rifle for hunting and am curious what folks recommend. I'm looking at the Knight Revolution and the TC Omega. Any major differences I should consider? I am probably going to use it for wild pig in California and hopefully eventually for Elk if I ever am lucky enough to draw a tag. Any recommendations or info would be greatly appreciated!

I've been hunting for two years now with a rifle (.270 and .300wby)

www.mseanbrowne.com/hunting.html

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T/C Omega

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank triple seven, so one vote for TC Omega. So any Knight fans out there, is the Omega better? Or are they all great and we're talking remington vs. winchester here?

thanks,

Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry pal, I am a Traditionalist. Hawkens rule! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So why do you like a Hawken? Because it takes you back. Does it use a percussion cap? I'm mostly looking for a muzzle loader to hunt with on an out of state draw so I figure my chances are better putting in the muzzle loading drawings. I'm basically looking for something as close to a modern rifle as possible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So why do you like a Hawken? Because it takes you back. Does it use a percussion cap? I'm mostly looking for a muzzle loader to hunt with on an out of state draw so I figure my chances are better putting in the muzzle loading drawings. I'm basically looking for something as close to a modern rifle as possible.

Why do you want to hunt with a modern muzzleloader? Why not use a side hammer?

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would I want to hunt with a side hammer?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The omega is a good gun, but I believe that the T/C Encore is a better gun!

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could get an encore but I don't believe they are legal in California. Someone might go on a muzzleloading rampage you know!

-Sean

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless Omega and am really happy with it. I know the Knight rifles are good also. I personally do not want to deal with an additional "thingy" like the plastic primer holders that you have to buy and throw away and buy more. Not a big deal but just sets wrong with me. The Omega has a tight bore and you will have to select the proper bullet/sabot combinations as well as powder selection to get the kind of performance that I am getting now. 100 yard shots in 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups. Multiple shots without swab between shots, first shot from clean barrel landing is same spot as second shot from barrel without a swab between. Lower felt recoil than triple seven powder with higher muzzle velocity (big secret here is Black Mag3 powder). My Omega loves the stuff. Killed one elk with BM3 80gr. load under 300gr. bullet/sabot this year.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sean, Like I said, I am a bit of a traditionalist and really like the look of the Hawken style of rifle. The one I am using currently is a 50 cal caplock and of Italian origin. If you have to use a sidelock in your area, Have a close look at the Lyman Great Plains Rifle or if you prefer to spend a little less money then eyeball the T/C Hawken Woodsman. I am going to pick up a Flinchlock sometime within the next week or 3 and those are the only 2 I am considering. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The TC Renegade that I played with for a long time was never reliable. I admit that I never put my heart into it but it would shoot low shots and fail to fire with the first cap sometimes. Without knowing more I attribute this to the zig zag path the flame from the cap must take. I had fired a cap to dry it and even removed the nipple and put black powder in there to enhance ignition.

Again I defer to experts on the operation of this type of muzzleloader.

I desperation I bought a Savage ML10 as smokeless powder is legal in my state for a ML. It's been reliable from the start. Yesterday I fired one shot in cold weather to check the point of impact and it was on but maybe an inch lower than before. I will hunt with it and if I can laser the game I may shoot as far as 200 yds.

The bullet is the 250 gr Hornady SST starting at 1975 fps as chronographed in warmer weather. This .45 caliber sabot'd bullet has a ballistic coeficient of .215 which is very good as compared to flat nosed pistol bullets or a round ball.

My conclusion from what I know is that an inline is better in terms of performance to the old style.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well myself i would buy a savage ml10II you can shoot smokeless powder and is very accurate but with your choices i would go with omega based soley on friends that have or are about to buy it

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the Savage ML 10 but, that wasn't one of your choices. Get the Omega so, you will not have to fool w/ those dang disc.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
I 2d everything Reloader stated. The Savage is sooooooo
versatile. But since the Omega was one of your two choices,
it probably makes the best, efficient use of BP and any of
the substitutes. Just about everyone who has gotten one is
very happy with its performance.

Either way -- do yourself a favor. When you get your rifle,
get with an experienced ML shooter. That will save you a lot
of time and grief in getting a good load going for it.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thompson Encore-209x50 mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you are not a "traditional" muzzleloader. I would recomend a modern gun as they are not as finicky as the traditional caplock or flintlock rifles. The modern rifles use a blackpowder subsitute(pyrodex-triple7) that requires a hotter ignition source (musket caps) than black powder. However, a blackpowder rifle will ignite with standard caps or 4F pan powder in a flintlock.

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote