New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asking for help from MZ hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just found out that during the rifle season I can use scope and I can also use pellets and sabots. I have always used 100g of 777 and 348g power belts limiting my self to about 75 yds with open sights. So, I have never really experimented with my 50 cal Black Diamond and I am excited about extending my range a bit more. What is considered good accuracy at 100 yds with a scope? I would like to call on your experience for bullets, bullet weights, powder and charge weights. I have about 40 days till the opening of deer season and a step curve of learing. Good thing is that I am at the range twice a week. Thanks in advance for your help in spending some money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in a premium bullet, please check out our bullets at
www.mzldrproducts.com
Thanks........wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love22hunt: I have had good success with 250 gr. shockwaves, and 100 gr. loose Pyrodex P.. groups around 2" at 100 yds. Two 50/50 pellets (Pyrodex) loaded a little faster, but did not group as tight. I swab between shots with a patch dampened with windshield wiper fluid, dry patch and a quick swab with bore butter.. then load. Should be a good starting point.. Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Les.

Is there ay advantage to shooting pellets (pyrodex vs. 777) velocity, or accuracy wise. Is there a distinct advantage using lose vs. pellet. I am trying to read everything I can to make a smart decision in a short amount of time, knowing that the MZ itself will let me know what it likes. But, there is so much experience on this board that I would be crazy not to ask. I am leaning towards a tc shockwave. Are there advantages in bc from a 200g over the 250g. I would like to extend range into the 150 yds and possibly 200yds. But I am concerned about bullet drop and of course accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two year old TC Encore SS 209-50 realy likes loose powder better than pellets (Pyrodex, never tried 777).. and once sighted in, shoot at 50yds and 100yds to know exactly where you are on target. I missed a standing head-shot on a big whitetail doe last Dec, at 50yds, and checking the next morning I found the bullet strikes three inches high at 50, just enough to sail right over her head.. (she came back in in a few minutes and I killed her with a lung shot.)

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote