Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 ML bolt spring.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted
Coflicting data on just how many pounds the bold spring is on a Remington 700 Muzzle loader. One source says 22 pounds and another claims 24 pounds. Brownells has sold a stronger spring for a long time to replace the factory spring. I wanted to buy a couple and replace my stock springs,( read story here, http://thunderbucks.com/tbforu.../topic,698.0.html)as to why I decided to replace them.

Brownells either were out or no longer handles them when I went to order them. But I found out I could get a 29 pound spring from Wollf Gun Springs. I ordered two of them and they arrived Monday afternoon in the mail. It rained here on Thursday and I had to take Kare to a doctors visit so the morning was pretty much shot as far as doing a major projectso I removed the blot from the 54 call And tore it down. I had did that once before about 2005 when I installed the Canadian 209 primer kit and removed the # 11 cap stricker. Is a fairly simple job of screwing a tool that was supplied with the primer comnverstion kit on to the bolt face compress the spring then push the striker down on a hard object so a folk can be sliped in place to hold all the tenstion so I could drive a tiny pin out.Once that is out you unscrew the stricker and the old spring is loose.
the new spring is at least one inch longer than the old one. I buffed all the parts installed the new spring and it is ready to have me shoot test it. I should mention we make our own snap caps with those tiny mecianal pencil ereasers they fit where a 209 primer goes and with a tiny hole work on a #11 nipple and fit into small and large rifle case primer pockets. One down and one to go.

So it was a rainy day and I had not put the Remingtons away after the bolt spring up grade 4-26-14
This is the 50 cal, one my wife got for me.

This is the 54 cal.

Remington 700 ML bolt and a Remington bolt take down tool.

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...5dc1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

How it is used to take the bolt down.

The knurled tool came with the Canadian 209 kit I bought for the 54cal. once screw on fully you press down on the fireing pin part and slid a little fork in place which also came with the kit.

Another fork view. You need that in place to drive a pin out so you can unscrew the firing pin and remove the old spring. Note the small hole in the bolt end.

Old spring is the short one, been told it is only a 24# spring. The new spring is a Wolff 29 # one.

I learned many years ago on my first Remington 700 center fire you do not use a wet type lube on the bolt as they will freeze up. I use this stuff which is like dri slide. It goes on wet and dry's to a super slippery surface in minutes.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ML700 is a wonderfully handy gun. I converted mine with the Canadian kit years ago and have killed a bunch of deer with it since. Used rifles are still available, though I haven't checked on prices lately.

Have you seen the price of the new Remington ML? Retail is something like $1200. shocker

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Used 700 Ml's in this area are holding prices greater than they did when New. Some are buying them up to convert to smoke less powder.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. I checked my 700ML and found that the spring that came with my Canadian 209 kit was like yours. However, the original spring that came with the percussion cap setup is like your longer one. I still have the tools that came with the Canadian kit, and used them to change out the springs.

've had this rifle for 11-12 years, and never had a problem with it firing 209 primers, but it always seemed weak. The longer spring seems much stronger.

Posts: 69 | Location: Fouke, Ark. | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I did the conversion many years ago and have never had any problem igniting a 209 primer. Did the gun have misfire problems before the spring change?

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a .54 Rem Model 700 ML. I had a few problems getting regular caps to go off so I converted it to the 209 primer and all the problems went away. It has tipped over a number of whitetails over the years.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote