Find
Notify
Tools

Anti Sieze
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greets fm CO

Just how much anti sieze do I need to apply to the breech plug. I am applying it for the first
time to my new Knight Revolution. Seemed like I put too much as some came back out. I used to do this to spark plugs and it worked very well, same principle, I guess. My manual says to only tighten the plug hand tight. Is this enough?
Pardon my ignorance but this is my first inline.
Ray

Posts: 106 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whether you use the grey car stuff or the TC gorilla grease, just put a little on an old tooth brush (dollar store) and apply to threads that way. Using your finger will apply an excess amount. Keep the tooth brush in a ziploc for next time.

Posts: 50 | Location: albany, ny | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is just me, but I have never found a way to put too much on. Anyway, if I use high tech grease, I just use my fingers and use as little as possible. Otherwise I just use plumbers teflon thread tape and don't worry about it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cover all threads liberally - then adjust it if too much oozees out. Tighten the plug until it stops - then turn it back loose about 1/6th of a turn. If using 777, loosen a whole revolution every 8-10 shots - then snug it back up. That should keep it from seizing. I do this for 30 shots at the range sometimes... no problems.

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
You guys sound like you've found a new girlfriend. All you need is just a bit on that first two threads. A black powder firearm NEEDS to be cleaned regularly. End of story. If you put just a small bit on those two threads, the threads themselves with distribute it throughout that breech area. Tighten you plug handtight. When it bottoms out, actually back it off just a hair. The threads of the plug will hold your breech secure and when you get ready to clean your gun, it will come out easily.

The new inlines have given many hunters the idea that black powder shooting (or their synthetic counter parts) is rocket science. It's still the same PRIMITIVE system.

Black powder is corrosive, but Pyrodex is even moreso. Triple Seven is the only one that doesn't contain sulfur (the main culprit in corrosion). Still, the easiest way to clean your barrel is to plug the breech hole with a toothpick, fill the barrel with Windex or any cheap window cleaner, and let it set for 20 minutes. Pull the toothpick and let a bit leak through, then tip the barrel and pour the remainder out. Pull the breech plug and run a clean patch through it several times. Then run an oil patch, grease your breech plug, and reinstall. The barrel will be mirror cleaned.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and shot an T/C Encore 209x50 since the vary first year they were for sale. After firing some where around 2500 loads out of mine, the last 600 to 700 of which were 120 grain charges of 3F-777 under 300grn XTPs about 90% of the time, I can tell you with total confidance that 777 will seize your breach blug quicker than any other BP sub out there.

I strongly recammend you use a top shelf performing anti-seize like one of the fallowing ones:

<>Lock-Tight C5-A copper formula #37229 in the quick stick variation. Buy it at a well stocked auto parts store, or at Cabelas.
<>Slick 50-ONE Anti-Seize greese also in stick form, also available at a well stocked auto parts store like NAPPA
<>Bostic Never-Seez my personal favorite. Available at www.enco.com This anti-seize is IMHO the last word in breach plug protection from seizing. I have an 8oz can of this stuff and it will last several lifetimes. I bought and use the "Pure Nickle" type as it had the highest temp raiting and was recammended for use with stainless steel parts.
<>Militec-1 greese in the 14oz tube. Do a net surch to find this greese.

Im sure there are other anti-seizes out there that are just as good as the ones I have listed above, I just listed the ones I know work to prevent breach plug seizures. What ever you buy and use make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN it states some where in the product description this statement: "MEETS MIL-SPEC-A907E"
The best advice I can give you to avoid a seized breach plug is firtst hand tighten it only, and second every ten shots stop and loosen it one turn then re-tighten it only hand snug. And the exact instant you have fired the days last shot, do absolutely nothing else before you remove your MLs breach plug. Never ever wait till you get home to do so.

You will need to experiment to see what is the max amount of anti-seize you can use before it becomes a ploblem, but I would rahther have to suffer a few miss-fires than a seized breach plug. I put on quite alot and have never had a miss-fire. As a matter of fact my Encore has never had a miss-fire.

I have read quite a few threads concerning the combination of using Teflon tape and anti-seize as way to prevent breach plug seizure and reduce the amount needed of extreamly messy anti-seize greese. Because make no mistake the stuff is messy. I will give the tape/greese combo a try next time I shoot my encore.

Hope this was helpful.
Art.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Teflon tape is the way to go.

Much, Much cleaner.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't put my breechplug back in for extended periods. I like the teflon tape when I do put it.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A light coating of any antiseize compound does the trick. With TS there is still some of the crud ring no matter what ignition system/primer you use. I use the 25ACP plug with small rifle primers and I still get a little of it. Spit patching between shots keeps it under control, and I have never had a problem removing the plug even after extended range sessions. Keep in mind that the front of the breech plug that meets the rear of the rifling is not threaded, and could be subject to the crud deposits as well. Try putting a little compound on this area as well. Based on my experience, prompt cleaning is essential to reduce the risk of any plug seizing. For TS all you need is plain old water, that's it. Leaving a spent primer (or toothpick)in place, adding a little water from the muzzle, and letting it set for a little while will help loosen things up. I also keep my plug oiled and in a baggie for storage. Before I shoot I clean all oil from plug and bore with alcohol or brake cleaner, apply the antiseize compound and I'm ready to go.

Posts: 50 | Location: albany, ny | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I just use a little of the Shooter Choice high temp grease on my finger and apply a small amount to my Encore breech plug's.ever had a problem.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also us a little of never sieze on the nipple barrel as well as the nipple.van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote